Business Insurance

I guess this is my week, I just got my business coverage renewal and it went up do to a (ready for this?) "terrorism clause"! Huh? I am thinking that my basement is the last place I would have to worry about that? I think I need to give them a call......

by the way, why didn't the post office loose this one?

Well, I was just looking over our house insurance policy because it went up over $500.00 in one year. The only reason they gave was: too many applications for credit, too many credit cards with low credit limits, and unusual requests for credit!. REALLY? The only new credit I got in the last 24 months ( that's 2 years by the way) is my card for my business. It's one card! And why would a low credit limit have anything to do with my insurance policy anyway? I think I'm going to do some insurance shopping this week. Really, it's darned if you do and darned if you don't when it comes to credit.

Since 911, there is a law that on commercial policies, the companies are required to offer Terrorism Coverage. You may reject the coverage - contact your agent. You will need to sign a rejection form. This may vary from state to state.

Most policies, including homeowners do not cover riot or terrorism - so to have the coverage, you must purchase this endorsement. Prior to 911 - the coverage was not offered by most insurance companies.

I guess I would only take the coverage it I lived near the pentagon, wall street or airport!!! LOL

News flash!!!!

A group of Balinese women brandishing rotary cutters descended upon a private residence in Fredericksburg Virginia early this morning, used those rotary cutter and some seam rippers to cut the screens on windows and gain access to a local woman's quilting studio. The only missing items were her so-called "stash" of imported batik fabric. Sprayed on the design wall in spray starch was "Free the Batiks---the Balinese Fabric Liberation Army" who, in an email, admitted to the theft.

The owner was heart-broken. She was quoted as saying "I have spent years and untold dollars accumulating those gorgeous fabrics--all one-of-a-kind and irreplaceable." Luckily she had a "terrorism" flyer on her business insurance and she was chanting "Road trip road trip!!" as we ended the interview.

Hey....it could happen!:P;):P

Ok, just as a follow up...I called and found out that the terrorism clause is optional and that previous to 9/11, no ins. co in the continental US would cover anything that was a result of terrorism, but since 9/11 the gov't has apparently mandated last year that ins. co's could cover damages related to anything like fire caused by a terrorist act. When I explained that I really didn't think anyone would be cutting into my screens with a seam ripper to get to my sewing equipment, he laughed and said it would be more like damage caused by a fire, etc. and I could decline it...so I am trying to decide if I should decline it since I live so close to DC. My DH says for $11.00/yr just keep it.....I was just trying to get my coverage back down to a lower rate. I am thinking that if I have a fire because of a terrorist act, I have more to worry about than my quilting equipment....

Now that the munitions things going on at Quantico are rattling the house, hmmmm, maybe I should keep the clause....

Hey Vicki,

Sounds like you are over the flu bug and feeling better.

Just food for thought::: I also have USAA insurance for my home and vehicles. But, a year or so ago, I checked with USAA and I found out that USAA does not cover "business" out of my home -- meaning any equipment, etc used to make money is not covered on my USAA policy. They did refer me to a different 3rd party that does specialize in small business ventures. Anyway, I decided to go with State Farm and my premium (which just covers my longarm machine and supplies) is about $350 per year.

Thanks Shana, my policy is with Hartford that is through USAA, I tried several in my area when I was shopping and did not find many who would offer small business ins. When I did check with USAA they told me the same thing, they would not cover business run from my home but referred me to Hartford. My ins. covers my equipment as well as liablility in case someone is in my studio and falls or gets hurt somehow...also covers my customer's quilts as well.

Archived