New Janome, Maybe I should have asked 1st

On impulse, I bought a Janome My Style 100 today. I'm really not an impulse buyer, but the price was so good and it seems like a good machine. I currently have a Brother 8200 and it is a real PITA. the stitches are terrible and I have had it fixed so many times. I hate sewing on it. I don't do embroidery with it. It took too much figuring out for me. So, I went to buy thread today and decided to just peek around at the machines and make a wish list. I found this one for $179, brand new. I liked how it sewed. Just a plain old straight stitcher. I hope I made a good buy. Anyone have one of these?

Peggy

I have 2 Janome machines, the 4000 and the 6500. My daughter has a 6300 and my daughter-in-law has a non-computerized Janome. We are all really happy with them. DDIL and I bought ours at a family owned quilt shop about 17 miles away. We get great customer service, although, we've only had them in to get them cleaned and checked over. DD bought her's in Illinois about 1 1/2 hour drive from where she lives and said that the people in the store were really nice and helpful. She hasn't needed to take it in for service yet, since she's only had it since last August.

love my janome sewing machines.........

I have the 6500 and a 4800 that I take to class if I need to...I also have the separate embroidery machine.....my 1st machine was a Toyota, then I had a new home that was the forerunner to janome.....I still have my new home over locker that I have had over 20 years and it is still going fine....

hope you get some reassurance from this....

:)

You can't go wrong with a Janome, I love my 6500 and my 1600P straight stitch is a work horse. But more concerned about your 8200, you are the only person whom I've ever heard that had a problem with theirs Did you get it upgraded to the 8500 upgrade. I do regret selling mine, got into a pinch for money several years and had to sell both that I had.

Peggy, so glad you've had your mind set at ease.

I've had Vikings since 1978 and until 1990 when I bought another new one, and it was a real lemon. I've noticed that the Viking just doesn't seem to have the quality they once had.

If this the Viking Desinger 1 USB doesn't last until I can find a dealer to repair it, I can use the Bernette or one of the Old Singer's.

I also will be changing brands.

Glad you made a good choice.

Bonnie, I think the biggest issue with the 8200 is that it has too many gadgets for me. I never took the time to figure out how to use the embroidery function properly, and I'm sure with some fiddling, the straight stitch could be nicer. I am just not happy with it in general. I guess we never bonded. It seems like we fight all the time.:D I just want a simple utility machine for piecing. The other advantage is that the Janome is pretty lightweight, which means I can do some sewing upstairs, when I want a little sunlight to sew by.

Originally posted by peglu

Bonnie, I think the biggest issue with the 8200 is that it has too many gadgets for me. I never took the time to figure out how to use the embroidery function properly, and I'm sure with some fiddling, the straight stitch could be nicer. I am just not happy with it in general. I guess we never bonded. It seems like we fight all the time.:D I just want a simple utility machine for piecing. The other advantage is that the Janome is pretty lightweight, which means I can do some sewing upstairs, when I want a little sunlight to sew by.

I'm sorry, but do understand. I have a Bernina that I have a love/hate relationship. If you ever think you want to sell it. Let me know who knows maybe i can talk hubby into one more machine. :)

I started out with the 4400, I used it so much the front plastic foot accessory compartment was dipped from wear. I up graded to a 7500, then a 9000, then a 10000 then a 10001 Sold all but the 9000, bought a 2,000$Elna and guess what I use the Janome....I also have two other brands but Ahhhh love that Janome. Jacque

Guest Linda S

I had a Janome that I really did not like, but . . . if the machine does what you want and you like it, it sounds like it was a good buy.

I have a Janome memory craft 3500. I think you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much. I do not like it and rarely use it. My machine of choice is my Juki 98TL, Love how it sews and it's fast. Just bought a Viking 875 Saphire and it does some neat things. Makes me crazy that it bunches up the fab when I start to sew. I just keep going back to the Juke for piecing.

Originally posted by MarieBrewer

I have a Janome memory craft 3500. I think you get what you pay for and I didn't pay much. I do not like it and rarely use it. My machine of choice is my Juki 98TL, Love how it sews and it's fast. Just bought a Viking 875 Saphire and it does some neat things. Makes me crazy that it bunches up the fab when I start to sew. I just keep going back to the Juke for piecing.

Marie....get the single hole plate and that will stop the bunching. On the wider zigzag plates machines you need to use the single hole plate or a spider (piece of scrap) to get started. Spider pieces are cheaper but I forget to use them and fall into the hole.

Bonnie, I agree with the single stitch plate, I love mine. Only problem is that I forget to change it before going to my zig-zag or decorative stitches. Crunch, LOL there goes another needle.

I love Brother machines.

Janome's are good machines, Sears chose them tom make their Kenmores! We all know how great Kenmore appliances are.

I had a Juki. Did not like that at all. Tension issues. Love Kenmore. My Mom owned a dress shop in TN and all she had in the shop was Kenmores. I actually bought one not that long ago, but took it back. It was all plastic and seemed so cheap. It was not at all like the Kenmores I grew up with. What I wouldn't give to get my hands on a good Kenmore. Mom won't part with her last one.

Peggy

Archived