How I spent my quilting retreat

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I spent three days piecing this sucker. It's the center of a triple feathered star. I'm going to take it apart and do it over again. I just started to get the hang of it at the end and it has some imperfections. As I want to put it in a show eventually, I want it to be as good as I can get it, and I know it isn't there yet. Those little feathers are 3/8".

post--13461908310354_thumb.jpg

My goodness! It looks fantastic to me. If the only defect you are talking about is the slight puffiness in some of the seams of the big star, I *KNOW* you can quilt it out so that no one will ever be the wiser. I'm pretty sure I'd never have the patience to do that once, let alone twice. An amazing effort. Wow.

Guest Linda S

Thanks all. I've made several feathered stars before, but the triple has been on my agenda for some time. I've always been very good at hitting points, but I'm not a champ at partial seams and I managed to mangle a couple of the parallelograms in the points at the end of the feather arms. I may just take the components apart and then put them back together, but they are so tiny, it might be the better idea to just make new ones. I have all the 'units made for this whole block, I just didn't want to sew it all together without the center being dead on. I'm finding the older I get, I probably need one of those t-shirts that says, 'does anal retentive have a hyphen?' :P

Is this the pattern you are trying to do?

http://www.animasquilts.com/MTFeathStarLg.html

I made this using three different fabrics and it turned out great. The instructions were very good on how to get things to fit correctly. The only problem I had was the center star and those tiny feathers:mad: but once I got the center done then the others got better as they got larger.

Guest Linda S

Laura - this is from Marsha McCloskey's Feathered Star Blocks I (LeMoyne-Based Stars). It looks very similar to the one you did. The rest of it appears to be a piece of cake after you finish that little thing in the middle! :D I have to admit I cursed my way through it, but when I finished it, I thought. Wow - that was really challenging. I can see now how to make it better . . . I think I'll do it again! I have a big quilt to finish on the frame today. Then I think I'll tackle this again.

Guest Linda S

Hmmm. That's a good idea. I may preserve this as my first one and just make another. I know if I put this in a quilt, I would forever fuss about the mistakes in it.

Wow Linda, if you have patience to make this again, you are a better person than me! It sure looks great in the picture. Perhaps if it is easier to remake it you could finish this one for a donation quilt or a pillow top. You could use this one to see if the quilting you want to do looks right, almost like a finished practice piece. Can't wait to see the final project!

Archived