It never fails...

Why is it that when binding a quilt I always have one corner that won't fold over correctly? I do them all the same, but one corner always refuses to fold nicely. It almost seems to be backward, but it doesn't work that way either. Wide binding, narrow binding, flip to the front, flip to the back it doesn't matter.

I stop a quarter inch from the end, turn up a 45 degree angle and fold back down 90 degrees. All four corners done the same way, three turn out one doesn't. I'm about ready to scream!

I also have had this problem. I deal with it by sewing the corner as you describe, then sewing an inch or so down the next side and stop. Take the quilt out of the machine and turn the corner. If it doesn't turn nicely, you only have a few stitches to rip in order to give it another try, and you usually can figure out why it didn't turn well the first time. For me, the extra time to test each corner before continuing is a good investment - I hate it when I discover a bad corner after the binding is sewn on, and find it way too expensive of time and patience to rip all the way around back to the bad spot.

If you sew to within 1/4 inch of the end, then sew off toward the corner at a 45 degree angle, it helps with that problem. If you are not using a quarter inch seam, you need to adjust your stopping distance accordingly.

As suggested, take the quilt out of the machine, flip the binding up then down to make your corner, sew a couple of inches, stop, take it out and check. Resume sewing. These bad corners are formed when you don't flip enough fabric up and down, resulting in a rounded corner or flip too much up and down, resulting in an out of square corner.

I check every corner before I sew any binding down.

I'm often unhappy with my corners, even after following everything that should be done.

What I have found lately for me , is after I turn the corner and fold the binding for the mitre. If I started sewing to close to the beginning of the corner, when the time comes to sew the binding down to the back or hand sew I have to release a couple of stitches to get a nice mitre. I bet that is clear as mud :D

I have found that when I am hand stitching the binding on the underside, if I make a fold in the corner going in the opposite direction as the fold on the front, the corner lays much nicer/flatter. I also purchased Clover Wonder clips that actually keep the binding in place while hand stitching. Once I get to the corner the binding is laying nice and flat and just waiting to be tacked down. Hope this helps!

Have you tried the "binding thingy"? It's a tool that helps to center and draw an angle (close to 90 degrees) on which you stitch, then trim, and turn. Each of the four binding sides are sewn on separately with a few inches at each end of each side. I use it when teaching the beginning quilting class at the local quilt shop. It's easier AND the seam is sewn shut. It's just a suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I used to always end up with a seam from piecing my binding together in one of my corners. I now make sure to take the time and lay the binding out to check first to see if I'm going to hit the corner so I can adjust.

Ann, thank you, your tutorial on the way you do your binding is very good. I have used the method where you start by sewing to the back, but have always done it so the binding folds just back over the stitched line. I will definately try your method. It looked very neat ..

Originally posted by Linda S

I used to always end up with a seam from piecing my binding together in one of my corners. I now make sure to take the time and lay the binding out to check first to see if I'm going to hit the corner so I can adjust.

Lol this is so timely. I can't seem to win the lottery, but I can have that seam land right in the middle of corner turn. I have a quilt that has 8, yes 8, inside corners on the binding. Oh my word, what was I thinking. I will post pictures after our quilt show next weekend. It will be so much easier to take pictures when they are nicely hung on the frames at the show. Oh, I can't wait to get this show over. Always stressful. This year we are hanging 90 full size quilts where the last show we had 79. I don't know where we are going to put them all!

Archived