I'm trying to get the tension right for King Tut thread. I've got a King Tut variegated in the top, and have tried both King Tut and Magna Glide in the bobbin - just can't seem to get it right . . . my Lenni has never liked King Tut, but this thread is perfect choice for the quilt, so want to give it a try. Any suggestions? I was wondering if I should use a different size needle as I usually use Glide thread top and bobbin, and have no problems. Thanks

i got it to work using my tension gauges and using the superior thread guidelines......and SLATHERING it with sewers aid.

i had sofine in the bobbin & a 4.0 needle

make sure to give a real good blow into the bobbin area after EVERY bobbin cause it is linty.

Bev,

What size needle do you currently have in your Lenni? Sometimes KT behaves better if you put a larger (4.5 or 5.0) needle in - less friction on those heavier cotton fibers. You can also treat the cone with Sewer's Aid or spray silicone to help it move more smoothly through the quilt sandwich. And you didn't say what kind of fabrics and batting you're working with?

I can use King Tut with no problems, really. But... I don't use it in the bobbin -- that's your problem. Cotton on top + bottom are not a good combination. I usually use a poly in the bottom (So Fine or Bottom Line). Make sure you keep your bobbin a wee bit looser, and make sure that the Tut on top is tighter. That works for me. It also helps to keep your transitions and motions smoother. Jerky motions could break thread. Running a few beads of Sewer's Aid on the cone helps too. Good luck.

I have used King Tut a few times and have found that it works best for me with Bottomline in the bobbin. I also go slower when using it. It is a really beautiful thread but can take a bit more fussing to get it stitching the way you want. I also have my stitch length at 11-12 for best results. I would like to have a slightly longer stitch when I use it, but I have the least amount of problems if I set it closer to 12. Also use Sewer's Aid.

Good luck! Hope you get it work without too much trouble.

KT sewed beautifully in my Handi Quilter, but my Millenium doesn't like it at all ! I tried every trick in the book and nothing worked well enough for me to continue fighting with it. I sold all my KT to a couple friends who have Handi Quilters. I use Lava - haven't tried the So Fine #40 varigated yet, but want to soon.

• 2 months later...

I know this post is a couple months old, but I was having problems with King Tut yesterday also. I have never liked to put Sewer's Aid right on my cone so was trying to figure something else out. I worked several years in a sewing factory where we used it, and eventually the cones would get a buildup that would throw off tiny flakes from the silicone being put right on the cone. So I decided to try lightly soaking a small piece of batting with it and stuck that in my thread guide. It worked like a charm and I won't have to deal with residue on my cone! Maybe someone else will find this works for them also.

Guest Linda S

I don't have any suggestions. Just trying to figure out what it is that I do that might help you all. I have, from the very beginning (over eight years ago) used a number 16 needle, no sewers aid, thread nets, or anything of the sort, and I can get any thread to run in my Liberty just by adjusting the tension. Perhaps Eowyn did come with some warrior princess magic to begin with? I just use Superior's Education page and the Thread Tug of War diagrams to adjust. I run my Magna Glide bobbins at a tension of about 22-23, and all is well. I'll count myself lucky. I love King Tut, especially now that it comes in solid colors. Sometimes a variegated is just a bit much, but sometimes you just have to have that rich, thick, cotton look.

• 7 months later...

I have a Lenni:) I have had it over 3 years now. I have been on a bit of a break from quilting, but trying to make more time for it now. I have been reading this wonderful forum and just need some clarification on poly threads and cotton threads please. I have a bit of a guilt complex when using poly thread on all cotton quilts:( yet I read where some of you wonderfully talented quilters love the So Fine thread and it is poly, right? If I can get over the guilt, and start using poly thread, do I need to use it in the bobbin too?

Thanks for any thoughts on this. Maybe this is a topic that has been discussed before but I know products change.

~Shea

shea

i hate using cotton  threads and i mainly use polyester threads.  i use glide and isacord mainly but also metro and magnifico.

i have some customers who insist on cotton but find that signature threads run better on my lenni.  i have been unsuccessful with king tut and wont buy it  now.

dont feel guilty about  using polyester though.  the glide and isacord are quite soft compared to some cottons.  magnifico and so fine  are stronger though so unpicking can be hard on your fingers... if youre not careful.  but then some cottons are the same.

Archived