Music to Quilt By?

Hubby really listened to what I wanted for Christmas this year and I got a new Nano I Pod. I am hoping that playing music while quilting will be a great help to my creativity. Right now I just listen to the motor humming.

So my question is...........................what music do you find best for quilting. If you have different kinds of music for different kinds of quiltng styles or patterns let me know that as well.

Thanks in advance for the info :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I listen to music. However I have found there is one type I cannot listen to while quilting....Blue Grass. Now, I know not everyone is a Blue Grass fan so that won't be a problem for most....but I tend to try to keep up with the music and find myself in quite a break neck speed :)

My favorite is older stuff like disco (stuck in the '70's) or country. But that is because I like to sing at the top of my lungs while I am quilting.

I love blue grass music. I like alot of different music.

I listen to blue grass many days. I also like Keith Urban for the new country stuff. I am listening to the Eagles at this time. I also love Pink Floyd, Delmert MClinton, ZZ top. Lots of old county stuff too. I like the old country better than the new but some of the new stuff is kinda cool. I love love love George Strait. YUMMY

My Honey just bought a home stereo speaker system and boy will it get loud throughout the house. More to install when we get time but it sounds really cool.

My favorite is my son. He writes his own music and performs. He sings more classic rock or country pop style. He plays the piano, guitar, fiddle, mountain dulcimer, banjo, trumpet and ukelele (sp?). He wrote his graduating class song and performed at his graduation. What a treat. Now he needs an agent, anyone know someone. You can listen to him at myspace.com/joelstewartguitar.

Oops :D I believe I was bragging on him.

Sheryl

Hi, Sheryl,

As I type this, I'm listening to your son, Joel's "my space" song and I gotta tell ya... DANG! He totally rocks! :cool: :):) :cool: Tell him to keep playing his music.

I love music of all kinds. Frankly, I only think there are two types of music: GOOD and BAD. Most of it (I think) is GOOD, but I agree there is some BAD music out there that really grates against my nerves. That said, I really can find a way to appreciate almost all types of music that I come across. I like rock & roll, heavy metal, rap, hip hop, country, blues, classical, new age, all types of jazz, easy listening, alternative rock, bluegrass, you name it... it all just depends on my mood. I can't just listen to one kind of music..that drives me nuts. Many times when I am sewing, I have my Yahoo Launchcast streaming music and it's blazing (cranked up loud) through the speakers on my computer. No commercials and a gazillion music stations to pick from. I love my Launchcast! :P

Shana

Somehow, in the late '70's, early '80's I got out of the loop, (I had 2 kids 15 months apart - that will do it), and lost track of rock and roll....so now when something comes on tv my DH will blurt out 2 words which is about all he knows in every song and I just look at him like how in the world did you know that. He cannot believe that I don't know these songs because I know the words to all songs.

Sheryl, you should brag, I would be a mess if my kids could play one note on one instrument.

I'm trying to branch out and discover all the old stuff I missed....

Why limit yourself to just music? I listen to books. Santa delivered me a 2 GB SanDisk. I still use my Rio 256 but the SanDisk holds 5-6 books. My library offers downloaded books and I am always maxed out with books. I find myself quilting longer - just to hear whats happening. :D

We have very poor radio reception, but now that we've gone wireless on the Internet I can listen to just about anything I want for FREE!

I love OPB.org, Oregon Public Broadcasting, for music and other programs such as The Splendid Table, A Prairie Home Companion, Thistle and Shamrock and lots more. Music is better than talk especially if I'm working at the back of the machine near the motor.

Other places on the web that I really enjoy are: http://smoothvox.com for smooth Jazz.

Classical music you can find at: allclassical.org

And traditional Christian music at: familyradio.org

The local library is also a treasure chest of music and books on tape and CD. Our guild meets at the library every Monday morning so I'm always there to pick out something new. Last year I did a quilt that took all 19 CD's of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations to get through. I'll never forget that quilt!

Happy Quilting, you multi-taskers. ~~ Eva H.

I missed reading too - I use to read an average of 10 or more books a week and I was suffering from "book withdrawal". I download books free my my Library. I link to their computer, pick what I want, download to my "puter, then download to my MP3. With the SanDisk I pick 3 or 4 books, download them all at once then load them. Whole process takes a couple of hours - depending on your connection.

You can join a down-loadable book club for a dollar amount, but my library has so many - and all of them unabridged that I can't see paying to join a club. I won't listen to abridged books - I felt I loose too much...... Check out your local library - you may be surprised :D

Wow, I'm really impressed with those of you who are so tech savvy. I can only hope my five-year-old learns really fast so he can start helping me. :) Santa-Grandma, did get him a kids teaching laptop computer for Christmas. "Just like Daddy's!" and he already knows how to use it pretty well.

Anyway, I just went to smoothvox.com and they have changed their format. But you can get great smooth Jazz, and uptempo Jazz here: http://www.softjazz.co.uk/

I'm with you Jerri, I'm all books on tape. I look at quilts I've done and remember what book I was listening to when I pieced it or when it was on the machine.

I like being able to "read" a book and do something else at the same time.:D

Sometimes when I'm listening to a book on cd and the disc is over my player goes to the next disc and I dance around to U2 or Brian Adams while I'm quilting until I get to a stopping point to go change the disc.:cool:

Hi Shana,

Thanks for listening to Joel. I told him what you said and it made his day. He is in the process of making a CD, money is his issue on getting it completed but when he does I'll let you all know. I am proud of him and all my children. They didn't get the music gene from me, their Dad can sing beautifully and makes me weak in the knees when he does...;)

Anyway HAPPY NEW YEAR and HAPPY LONGARMING to all.

Sheryl

www.shedznbedz.com

I got an MP3 player for Christmas...........I followed the distructions and plugged it into the computer, loaded music, deleted the demo stuff, unplugged it and it wouldn't turn on..........So DH said to get another one. I purchased an IPOD nano, got home and showed him. He was pretty excited for me but then gave me most of his Christmas bonus so I asked if I could upgrade to a bigger IPOD, he just smiled and said if that's what I wanted to do.

So now I have the 30 GB....too cool.

I'm headed over to myspace now to hear Joel......:)

AND great idea about learning another language, I too want to learn one this coming year, and to hear more books on tape.

Such great ideas.

My cousin just recorded his first CD, it's called "GRUMP" and you can probably listen to some of it on myspace.

:):):):):)me

All great ideas! I often listen to books on tape or CD. I like being able to go

online and put them on hold at my local library. Free.... Just did the whole

Stephen King - Dark Towers series - that was a bit to creepy for me. Not

sure how or why I got started on them! Right now my daughter is listening

to the Lemony Snickett books, there are 13 in all.

I do not like to wear headphones so will skip all of that. I still want to hear

my machine very well. Sometime I put in a DVD and just listen to it, and I

might watch it a bit - depending on "what, where and how" I am quilting. If you

have those long templates from Circle Lord, as you are quilting there is plenty

of time to "look around" as you are moving the machine.

Wow thank you to all that have replied. Sounds like people listen to just about any kind of music.

I had thought of the books on tape but thought they might be distracting. Might give those a try.

So far I have some Enja and some Carlos Naki on the I pod.......................something to start out with in any case.

We are snowed in.............................I think we have about 20 inches of snow and it is still comming down.............big storm system going thru New Mexico!

I love all kinds of music. I have Sirius Satellite Radio. Never have to worry about not having music to listen too! What ever you are in the mood for. This week it was classic rock. Last night we went 80's. My husband loves the R&B. Today I'm in the mood for classic country. I want to hear some Willie, Patsy, Hank Jr., some Randy Travis and Oh! Alabama! In the car we listen to the top 20 which usually include Hip Hop and Alternative. I also spend many hours quilting to my favorite radio host. The entertainment is endless!

Wow, what a fun thread this is :) My favorite music to listen to while quilting is light classical or relaxing music such as instrumental (piano is my favorite). If I want something more "lively" then I listen to smooth jazz. I definitely do not listen to anything with singing because then I can't concentrate on what I'm doing!!! Oh well. I guess I'm not that talented yet ;)

Gable

This has been a fun thread. Right now I'm listening to, for about the 50th time, a children's CD my little boy got in his Kindergarten Christmas gift exchange. Lucky Me! It's like trying to finish up all the fruitcake before New Year's Day -- even if you really like fruitcake there's only so much you can enjoy until you are completely FULL.

Happy New Year, filled with joyful noise! ~~ Eva H.

Archived