Music to Quilt By?

I guess you would find in my MP3 player just about anything. from classical to ZZTops...things with a fast beat to a someone just playing instrumental guitar or piano. Native American folk music to Il Divo or Enya and Yanni and Tesh, if its got a beat and makes me move its there....Oh, can't forget the country twang and falling in my beer music...love that stuff as well.

Its amazing what comes out of my fingers when the beat is good....or at least good to me. Can't dance to everyones music, but have my fav's.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night (New Years Day) I watched the annual program on PBS called GREAT PERFORMANCES that features the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra (They play many of the Johann Strass waltzes, marches and polkas during this annual performance). It's an annual tradition to do this performance every New Year's Day in Vienna at their famous concert hall. If I remember to, I try to watch this every January 1, and last night luckily I remembered to tune in. It is absolutely beautiful music, and the orchestra really puts on a fun show if you're watching it on TV! If you're in a down mood and need a lift, listening to this beautiful music will fix you right up. It's so colorful and lively and so romantic -- I'm sure that you can really quilt some beautiful feathers and lovely things listening to these waltzes ;) I'm going to order the DVD of the performance. It was awesome.

Shana

I love listening to music while I quilt. You can find about anything on my ipod, I love classic rock, also love some of the new stuff, Nickelback, Hinder. I also love Yanni too. I do have some country, but it's too sad to listen to on full time basis. Just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I tried the books on tape and I just can't get into them, maybe I just started out with the wrong book, it was a Dean Koontz one and the reader was not a good one. I just found myself wandering, not paying attention to the story and before I knew it, I'd be wondering what it was the guy just said, I finally gave up and went back to music. My hubby got me a pair of the noise cancelling head phones for Christmas and they make a world of difference.

Wow, we have a complete menagerie (sp?) on here!! You all gave me some good ideas. I kinda get stuck in a rut on those kind of things.

I usually listen to comtemporary christian, like Third Day, Casting Crowns or Mercy Me, or classical. Usually classical with piano. I give piano lessons, so I love that kind. I love the 80's stuff back when MTV started the music videos, and soft rock.

My DH hooked our old surround sound up to my TV so I can just pop a CD in the DVD player and crank it up when I'm by myself.

I'm all about books too - sure wish my library had downloadable books!!!! We're still with tape and CD's but they work too.

For my IPod, I belong to audible.com and that works for me. There is a fee, of course, but what do you do??? I consider it a cost of doing business (non-deductible of course, lol.)

We really need to get out more, my DH and I. We purchased our MP3 players yesterday and fired them up last night. The one we bought has an FM tuner so we can use it at the gym. We found a '70's rock station and started singing. I didn't even hear the phone ringing. And I never realized he only know about 3 words in every song:D

So this list is not the usual "Music to Quilt By" but I highly recommend loud rock music to get you back in your creative mode. Loud Rock will force you to be creative and get into your zone. I am serious. Music and Quilting go hand in hand.

Its not uncommon to hear the artists below, blasting from my studio.

Cloud Cult

Deftones

System of a Down

The Cure (but only if you are not depressed)

Korn

Queens of the Stone Age

Guest Linda S

I like loud rock to quilt to also. Only problem is, I have a sloped ceiling in my studio. Last week, "Burning Down the House" came on the radio (Talking Heads). I ended up banging my head on the ceiling during my drum solo! ;)

Linda

Linda and Karen

Thanks for the giggles. I love that song by the Talking Heads and the thought of trying to quilt to it just might bring out some unique quilting creative juices. If I try I am glad that I have a high ceiling, wouldn't want that drum solo to get interupted by injury. By the way Karen are there any catagories in the quilting circuit for "Quilting Rock Style"? If not maybe we could start a new one. Hoping to come to Duluth this year and take a class. I have gotten the information just waiting to put the money back and make reservations, YEAH!

Have a great rocking night.

Sheryl

www.shedznbedz.com

That is freaking hilarious....oh my god. Poor Linda....

You could say she started a new trend in Head Banging....

"My House....Hey-Ouch, oh man!!!!"

Now she just needs the tattoos and the piercings.

Let's start some sort of Music related Headbanging Quilters Group.....

Wait-why do I suddenly feel apprehensive?

Maybe because I used the terms Headbanging and Quilters in the same sentence....maybe we are an aquired taste.

Ok, here's the deal-when you guys start rockin' the dreadlocks, I am all on board.

I have the radio and 2 mp3 players. Player 1 = rock / blues etc that I can also work out to on the eliptical and the other is classical & jazz.

Books are too hard (or darling hubby talking to me). I concentrate on 1 or the other - not both. So either the top or conversation suffers.

Sorry Hubby - wait until I am DONE. then there are no stiches to undo

OMG, I think this is catchy! I was sneaking in a little PPP at work today, trying to get the swoopy move going and had Janis Joplin's Cry Baby going! Get the same motion out of some of Jimmy Hendrix but I keep turning him up too loud for the office, I save him until I get home and settle for The Doors. (no, I wasn't at Woodstock, I had to settle for watching it on TV....but I bought the tape! Now I need to find a Sweetwater cd.....)

Guest Linda S

LOL - and I was feelin' like such a rock star till I whacked myself! :P Seeing you tie your dreads out of your way when you're working Karen, I've thought that would be a handy hairdo to have. With my full moon face, though, I guess I'll stick to the short chipmunk hair.

;)

Linda

I think I may be a headbanger! I have yet to put music on while quilting but working to Janis Joplin does sound appealing. When I am in serious house-cleaning mode I really crank up Bon Jovi or Bat Out of Hell so maybe I should try quilting to them, too. Also, when feeling the need to stop and dance a bit, it would be beneficial since it would get all those muscles stretched out! :cool:

Ha, ha, ha...you guys are hilarious! I am in such a different place right now. Today, with my little studio helper, I'm listening to The Itsy Bitsy Spider for about the umpteenth time!!! All that rockin', bangin' stuff will come soon enough though and the advantage of being a late-in-life-mom, maybe I'll be too hard of hearing to really be bothered by it!:P

First-

LINDA! I have to say I am sorry that I was not there to see you bang your head! Now you know I would of had to laugh -but would expect the same from you! LOL! Thanks for sharing!

Next-

I am very impressed with some of the musical tastes here! System of a Down, Janis, BAT OUT OF HELL!! YES! I love it, I want to be a member of the headbangers too!

I have only half of my CD collection downloaded and have almost 900 songs(holiday break project). The range of music when shuffled is hilarious. First -Kelly Clarkson, Avril Levine, then Buckcherry, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Stevie Wonder, then Willie & Waylon on to Mozart, Phantom, & Les Mis! Well at least we're never bored!

Listening to the Lake

Good morning. I'm listening to the lake sing. Yes, it's singing. The lake is frozen, the ice is cracking and moving. Then it starts singing. It goes, whooo-ing and sawing. Kind of eerie and really beautiful in a way.

The geese come flying in to the little open area of water still left. They add their own strange singing to the ice music. Awesome day.

God Bless. ~~ Eva H.

Oh hi, Mary Beth! I think I just sent a U2 about your pantos. Hope you still have them for sale. I'd like to add some to my collection.

And, yes, we are blessed out here in the High Desert. I've lived in several of our western states and have seen first hand what a truly wonderful country we live in.

Hope to hear from you soon. Have a wonderful day. ~~ Eva H.

this is hillarious!

i usually quilt to the sound of the TV. When the music is on it is more towards to LOUD side-at least that is what others say. I find it to be quite soothing. I usually play Disturbed, Korn, Drowning Pool, Violent Femmes, Janis Joplin-LOVE HER, or some good old fashioned angry girl rock like Pink, or Avril or Kittie-all girl metal band outa Canada. Any who, I don't have the tats-deathly afraid of needles, but i got the battle scars from the shows-does that count?

Take Care

• 1 month later...

Archived