Quilter's Dream cotton

There are three different Quilters Dream Cotton. Request (3oz), Select(4oz) and Deluxe (6oz). I love the Deluxe and use it on a lot of my own quilts. The Request is very thin and stretchy, I would not use that one on a longarm, I think it is more for hand quilting. The Select is better but still thin and I have used it on my longarm but you need to be careful and not pull on it. The Deluxe is quite strong and has a great loft.

So I guess it just depends on which Dream cotton batting your customer brings you.

I have used the Select loft twice. It is much lighter and thinner than W&N and I'm not as happy with the Select loft as I feel (on my machine anyway) that the stitch doesn't form as nicely as I like it to (because it's so thin??). Someone locally uses it and their stitches look fine with it, so it must be my machine. I didn't notice that I had to be careful with it but the two times I used it was on smaller quilts which didn't require a lot of handling of the batting.

Kathy, I'm glad you mention that you use the Deluxe loft. I will have to give that one a try some day. The Select loft had a nice drape and felt softer to me than W&N -- which I liked. I would like to feel the drape of the Deluxe.

Guest Linda S

Yes, I love their select and deluxe weights, but I steer clear of the request - it's too stretchy and thin. I prefer most of their other battings to the plain cotton, with the exception of the dream green

Originally posted by Bonnie H

I have used the Select loft twice. It is much lighter and thinner than W&N and I'm not as happy with the Select loft as I feel (on my machine anyway) that the stitch doesn't form as nicely as I like it to (because it's so thin??). Someone locally uses it and their stitches look fine with it, so it must be my machine. I didn't notice that I had to be careful with it but the two times I used it was on smaller quilts which didn't require a lot of handling of the batting.

Kathy, I'm glad you mention that you use the Deluxe loft. I will have to give that one a try some day. The Select loft had a nice drape and felt softer to me than W&N -- which I liked. I would like to feel the drape of the Deluxe.

I found when i dropped my hopping foot height that the dream cotton formed great stitches.

Originally posted by Janette

I found when i dropped my hopping foot height that the dream cotton formed great stitches.

Janette, at the time I wondered if that might have helped. My machine is a Nolting and it doesn't come with instructions like the APQS machines do so I'm not sure if I can lower the foot. I'm going to call and check tomorrow. Thanks for bringing that up as I had forgotten my initial thoughts about the foot height.

• 3 months later...

I use Quilters Dream Deluxe (6oz) and Supreme (8oz). The supreme is my favorite since I like a heavier quilt. Both Lucy and Lennie are good friends with Quilters Dream :)

I order directly from QuiltersDreamBatting.com. No minimum orders and pleasant folks to talk to.

Tony

post-6377-0-14753700-1349963560_thumb.jpg

This looks like an old post, but I'll chime in and tell the world that I love Quilter's Dream products. They are having a special during the Houston market...free shipping on the first roll or box, and $5 off the next. Time to stock up! And they are collecting pictures and stories about those of us who use their products and will soon publish them...check out their Facebook page. My favorite is their Select White Cotton...it melts around you immediately when you take a quilt off the rollers.

I rarely use cotton battings - so not much help but I would personally stick with the Deluxe weight.

As to the hopping foot - I don't often change the height of my foot but occasionally I need to. I am presently making placemats using Soft & Stable (the neoprene type stuff you can get from Superior) and I definitely had to raise my foot. Loosened the foot, place the batting under the foot, then set the foot where it made a slight dent/depression in the batting when at the lowest level - not sure if this was the correct way, but my stitches are good. I will reset to 2 - 3 business cards when done - this works for me since I use a lot of wool, puff and other slightly more lofted battings.

• 3 years later...

Archived