Quilted backpack

This was a free pattern I found on the internet called Chloe's Backpack. http://pbtex.com/PBTex_CHLObakpak.pdf

I think steps #13 and #14 are in the wrong order but other than that the pattern was easy to follow. I added a couple of pockets to the inside lining and used Shape-Flex on the lining to give it some body. There's a couple of things I'd do differently next time but overall it turned out pretty well. I quilted it using the CL Zigzag board.

2094540530107368784S500x500Q85.jpg[/url]

2402580780107368784S500x500Q85.jpg[/url]

2878581450107368784S500x500Q85.jpg[/url]

This pattern has been hanging in my studio for almost 2 years now. I keep intending to make it. I think it is named after the fabric line it was designed for. I love how yours turned out. I want to make it with regular purse straps instead of the back-pack straps. Yes, please tell us what you'd do differently as we won't make the same mistake.

Thank you for the nice comments!

Sylvia, I like the idea of purse handles. That would be cute on this bag but I'd probably make the bag a little shorter then (I'm not tall). Hmm, I actually might have try this idea.

Madelyn and Sylvia, here the changes I would make the next time.

I'd cut the flap a little bigger all the way around by 1/2 inch or so, so after quilting it could be cut to the right size. (Mine was no longer the right size after quilting. This is true for all the quilted parts!)

Same thing for the front and back panels and bottom panel, I would make the strips on each side of the strip set 1/2" inch bigger than the other strips to accommodate the "shrinking" from quilting. The pattern calls for 1-1/2 inch strips, so I would cut four of the strips 2 inches instead of the 1-1/2 that is called for and place those 2 inch strips on the outer edges of the panels when sewing the strip sets together. This would give a little bit extra room for it to "shrink" when quilting and also allows a little bit extra room to sew the thick seams together (the pattern calls for 1/4 inch seam allowance and I was close but more than 1/4 inch, and I double sewed all my seams).

I ended up having to adjust the lining size as my bag was a wee bit smaller than what it should have been. It was doable but I'd do it differently the next time so I don't have to do math. :D

I used Pellon Shape Flex for the inside and I would definitely do this again. I love how it turned out. The pattern doesn't call for an interfacing for the lining. The pattern also doesn't have pockets in the lining and I'm glad I added some. Would do that again.

I would make the straps longer to start with, maybe by 5 inches or so. I'm short and can't see this strap configuration working for a tall person or a person bigger than me. There wasn't much extra to cut off on the straps after I figured out how long I wanted them. Maybe would have liked them longer.

Steps 13 and 14 are out of order, I think, so I'd do that differently and not have to unstitch!

For the lining, step #11 says to repeat steps 7-12 for the lining when you actually need to repeat steps 6-11. That was confusing at 1 in the morning!

The last thing, I quilted all the parts using a backing fabric, which just added extra bulk. Next time, I will try loading the batting on the frame without backing fabric and see how that goes.

Those are all the changes I would make or try the next time. The bag was easy to put together and I enjoyed the process. It will be nice to have for trips.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

This pattern has been hanging in my studio for almost 2 years now. I keep intending to make it. I think it is named after the fabric line it was designed for. I love how yours turned out. I want to make it with regular purse straps instead of the back-pack straps. Yes, please tell us what you'd do differently as we won't make the same mistake.

Sylvia, give it a try sometime. It is enjoyable to make and not a pain like some patterns! My mom tried to teach me to sew dresses and such as a kid, so I did learn a few things there but mostly I hated to sew clothes and patterns that are confusing. For this pattern, I did find I had to read and re-read a few things, but it was pretty straightforward for the most part. I would love to see your "purse" version!

Originally posted by HeatherH

Cute backpack! i especially like the quilting design - lol- this is the last board I bought from CL, having lots of fun quilting baby quilts with it at the moment ( just for design practice). Thanks for sharing,;)

Thanks, Heather!

The CL products are so versatile. I'm challenging myself to find places to use them where I normally wouldn't have. Have fun practicing with them!

Bonnie! I've become addicted to making bags, etc. I've found that if I quilt the material before I cut, everything comes out great.

I recently made a new quilted jacket out of linen. I didn't want to quilt all the material - so I laid the pattern on top, traced around the parts, then loaded, and quilted just in the parts. Also by doing that I could create patterns in a certain area - IE: the back top of the jacket has curved cross hatching. Works great!

Gosh, Bonnie, you should be a pattern tester! Great advice on all parts of the bag! I will try to get to this sooner than later! I just can't get around to doing everything I have in mind! I just hope mine turns out as cute as yours! (BTW, I find back packs are far more user friendly on vacations than a purse, don't you?)

Originally posted by Bobbi47

Bonnie! I've become addicted to making bags, etc. I've found that if I quilt the material before I cut, everything comes out great.

I recently made a new quilted jacket out of linen. I didn't want to quilt all the material - so I laid the pattern on top, traced around the parts, then loaded, and quilted just in the parts. Also by doing that I could create patterns in a certain area - IE: the back top of the jacket has curved cross hatching. Works great!

Bobbette, that is such a GREAT idea to quilt a pattern that way. I will have to try that sometime. Thank you for sharing!!

Archived