NQR - Story about our DS and family

Our local newspaper did a story on 1of our sons. It ended up being a front page story. We are very proud of our DS and all of the accomplishments he has made so far. We know he has worked very hard to get to this point. We are also proud of our other children as well and their accomplishments.

We are humbled by the outpouring of attention because I don't feel that we've done anything at all. DS and the others have done the work. God simply answered their prayers for parents to come and adopt them. Granted God did answer our prayers also at the same time with the way things worked out. All 3 children were required to appear in court before the Ukrainian judge and confirm to her(the judge) their understanding that they were being adopted and moved to a different country to live with us. To me this is representative of the modern pioneer spirit. Imagine leaving all of your friends, your native country, everything behind to travel with people that you've only known for 10-20 days to a new country, where you do not speak the language, you do not know the customs and you have no one but each other to rely on. You can't even run away to return back home because it's across an ocean! Everything was different - the food, the language, the people, the living conditions. You have no choice but to make things work. It's called life and living with the decisions that you make.

There were some errors in the paper and I feel I need to correct them publicly. 1. I'm not an office manager - I am a receptionist - huge difference to 2.Their mom is confirmed dead and we aren't sure about their dad.

We didn't do anything that thousands of people aren't doing everyday here in the US and abroad. We aren't any different than anyone else but we are just plain God fearing hard working country folks. We are blessed to share our lives with these brave young people and we pray that God will continue to guide and bless them all throughout their lives.

I want to share the story with you because you have helped me get through some rough times with them.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/315489

Darlene, thank you for sharing this beautiful story about your children. You and Allen have done a wonderful job to all of them, in providing a warm secure family life to grow up in, which is evident by how successful they have become as young adults. Congratulations on the recognition this article has given. Rightly deserved to all. :)

Darlene, thanks for sharing that great story. I am so happy things are working out for him. We have friends who adopted two sisters from an orphanage in Russia about 19 yrs ago. Things have not worked out quite so well for the girls. The parents tried everything possible to help them adjust but it didn't happen for the oldest. She is diagnosed with "Reactive Attachment Disorder" meaning she can not let herself love anyone (including herself). Supposedly it is a result of the life she had before and during her stay in the orphanage. She came to the US at the age of four and her sister was two. No amount of love or money for treatment was spared. A fortune was spent on trying to help her.

Praise God that there are parents like my friends and yourselves who are willing to give so much love, patience, energy and perserverence for these kids. You really are a special family!!

Lucy - I do know at Reactive Attachment Disorder. We are living through it right now with our DD. She is his sister. We have been blessed though because we found a therapist who is using a very new approach - one of love and boy has it worked for us! She has made progress. We've gone from suicidal/depression to tolerance and actually taking steps to accepting us! We're not where she wants to be or where we want to be. It is truly eye opening and I can only say that God is working to change me to be a better mom and better person through her. I hate that she has to suffer so that I can change but that is the way that I see it. I started reading a year ago when this all started and everything was awful but when I found this new person and what he advocates - it all just makes sense to me. I admit at first I didn't like it but then after prayer and reflection it all made sense. Sometimes I slip and act ugly but then I regroup and we start again. I'd be happy to pass along his website and information. Just email me or I can list it here.

I'll keep them in my prayers. I know how hard it is.

Archived