Bracing for the Blizzard.............

We are hunkered down and waiting for the blizzard to hit or miss us here in Iowa. We are right on the line between the snow/ice/rain, so we could get most anything or all of it. It is 35º. One report says 6 -12" of snow along with 40 mph winds.......another report says 2".......right now it is POURING rain and windy. We have plenty of food in the house......the snow blower and tractor/blade are ready to go as well as our generator if we should lose power for too long. Right now the entire state except for maybe 6 counties way in the NW corner have "travel not advised" showing on the DOT map. We have 2 Grandsons overnight. our DS works an hour away, so, he went to stay at a motel near his job so he could be there for tomorrow. He works in a grocery store (Hy-Vee in Ankeny for you Iowans) and they will be busy because of the storm AND Christmas shoppers as well. He is a department manager, so needs to be there. Good chance there won't be school tomorrow, so we will just keep the boys here. Their Mom and little brother are home - hopefully, she won't have to go to work tomorrow either. She's and RN and works for a surgeon in the next town about 15 miles away. So, we just wait it out and see what it looks like by the end fo the day tomorrow ! :unsure:

Hope it goes well for you, Linda. Your son works just 3 hours from me. So far, we haven't started anything here, but school is closed tomorrow. I'm up just west of Rochester.

Our son just took his dad's snowblower into town so he can go to work (in town, blocks away). I don't know what he figured his dad would use (maybe the tractor) but he said at least he would be done with it in the morning!

Not sure how much of the storm will blow here into NY. Right now they are calling for a mix and not reporting any totals so we'll see. We've got it on the calendar until Sunday. My daughter will be traveling to PA to see her inlaws Sat. - Sun. so I pray they don't have any problems. Looks like if it gets bad everybody will be hitting the store on Christmas Eve! LOL

Stay safe and enjoy the white Christmas. I'm glad ours will not be a blizzard!

Sylvia you crack me up. 6 - 12" of snow at one time really isn't horrible, the 18" - 24" is a lot of snow at once! The nice thing is that we have plows and things are usually cleaned up pretty quickly. We were in NC one year and got 12" of snow and were stuck for a week! Nothing like that here.

Full fledged BLIZZARD roaring now. We had pouring rain last night, then around 2 AM it turned to snow and the wind is howling something fierce. Talked to DS in Ankeny and they have 13" on the ground. We don't have much snow here yet, but the wind is the dangerous part. Iowa is pretty much closed. Most roads are "travel not advised" or many areas blocked with jack knifed semis or other accidents. DS had to call someone from work to pick him up at the motel because 3 semis were stuck in the frontage road and he couldn't get out. DIL just texted that she has to go to work........about 15 miles away. She has a good vehicle and has driven in this stuff before. Wish she could stay home, as she has their 3 year old with her. We have the 8 and 10 year old Grandsons here...........so, we are in for a long day of movies, games, etc. Just hope the power stays on. YES, we here in the midwest do have the equipment and prepare for this kind of weather, but there are still those idiots who "forget" from one winter to the next and drive too fast.

We didn't get all that much snow in our part of Eastern Iowa, but it's heavy and wet. Our poor evergreen trees in the back yard look like they're carrying the weight of the world - all droopy, with their limbs pointed to the ground instead of the sky. It's blowing, but for the time being, I think it has quit snowing. Here's hoping everybody is able to stay safe and warm.

I got my wish, snow day from work, Dr appts cancelled and basketball game cancelled, so stay home and quilt my last customer quilt for Christmas and then maybe do some pieceing for myself. Maybe movies, maybe make some fudge. A whole day with no "have to do" things. I've been wishing for that for a while.

Hi Everyone!

What a winter wonderland we have in Iowa! Lots of snow on the ground, and even more blowing around. The factory is open with a skeleton crew, and we are fielding technical calls if you need us. I'm working from home in Ankeny today, looking out at that 13 inches that have bent my trees to the ground and toppled our Christmas decorations. The poor tree in the photo below is now flat on the ground thanks to the blizzard winds. Will attempt to dig out later this afternoon. Want to help? Whoever prayed for the White Christmas can stop now. :)

post-1370-0-61032300-1356028304_thumb.jp

post-1370-0-18414000-1356028305_thumb.jp

Dawn..........Our DS works at Ankeny Hy-Vee. He drove up last night and just called that he is going to stay up there again tonight. Roads just too ??? to try to drive home AND he has MY car! Of course, the water pump went out of his Wednesday, so he borrowed mine so he could get to work !

We didn't get much snow down here in Oskaloosa, but the wind is terrible and causing so much blowing snow. It is getting lighter out now and we can see across the countryside. We have Grandsons here and will take them home when DIL gets off work in Pella. They live in Oskaloosa, too. What a couple of days !!!!

We have a Good Samaritan in our neighborhood! DH and I spent a couple of hours outside this morning (at least it felt like it was a couple of hours!) clearing the drive and sidewalk and helping the neighbors with theirs. We came in the house to warm up and - you guessed it - the city plows went through! I looked out to see "snow boulders" piled up at the end of the drive. We just couldn't go right back out - needed a chance to catch our breath before taking them on. A little later, I looked out the window to see what was happening out there (lots of wind and snow in case you're wondering), and I saw that some wonderful, nameless person had come through and cleared out the end of our drive for us. He/she had done the neighbors' drives too. I don't know who it was, but I sure do owe them a big ol' thank you! From the looks of it, it was someone with a plow or something on that order, as all the boulders are piled up at one side of the drive rather than both sides (as they would have if someone shoveled them). What a great Christmas gift!

We're up in NE Iowa, and we didn't get as much as I thought we would (me sad face, DH happy face). We and neighbors have guessed we maybe got 7-8" but it's really hard to tell, and a lot of what we got has all been blown down to Linda and Dawn (you're all very welcome but I really wanted it :angry::D ). It is still so very windy and still blizzard conditions out here in the country. You get into town and it seems so calm. Hoping this all stops overnight, because come he!! or high water we are going to Cedar Falls to see our daughter, SIL, and our precious new grandson! We still haven't got to hold him :( with his extended stay in the hospital (they are home and doing well now.)

I'm praying for all of you guys in the snowy, blizzardy weather! I wish we could have a white Christmas here but living in central California, that isn't very likely to happen! It did snow a few inches on the valley floor once about 13 (?) years ago in January and it was amazing! Our neighbor called us at 4:30 a.m. to let us know it was snowing and we went outside and built a snowman.

Marci, I hope you get to see your new grandson. Be safe!!!

Archived