Quilt Naked formerly LAer's who smoke

I smoke. I do not smoke in my home & I do not allow others to smoke in my home. I'm not a heavy smoker. I don't feel the need to apologize for it, although I am very watchful not to bother others with it. (oops, soapbox in view! ;)) I know of one very well known LA artist and instructor that smokes and think it must not be an insurmountable issue if someone really wants you to do their quilt. Then there are some that will say they smell smoke when there is no odor at all just because they know you smoke. Are there others here who smoke? I did the search and found a few references but only one from a smoker. I'm thinking in terms of the odor transferring from me or my clothing to a customers quilt. I know that washng my hands, maybe wearing a smock and using Fabreeze are all things I will probably do, but then there is the issue of the smell of the Fabreeze, even household oders. I don't want to send a quilt back to a customer that has odors that I might not notice since I am used to them but that they will notice right away. Everyone's home has it's own aroma. I know that Cheryl is sensitive to fragrances, fabric softeners, etc. What experiences or suggestions do you all have? I know that I'll have a work order and intend to note on there that if anyone is especially sensitive to odors or fragrances to consider this before sending me their quilts and be prepared to recommend someone else to complete their quilt.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been told of quilts not being sent to longarm quilter who smoke because ieven a trace of smoke bothers non smokers. I am someone who is very sensitive to smoke so I sort of understand, but I am not sure it would be a total bar for me. If the quilter doesn't smoke in the house it really should be fine. If you are that worried, sit and do something else for half an hour so you air, then quilt. I try to minimise my scent on the quilt by keeping it sealed up when not on the frame. I then try and have it spend the least possible time on the frame. I have handed back quilt that to me still smell strongly of their owners, so I think it works.

I have alos been told I don't get work because I have cats. I don't intend to get rid of the cats to get more work so why should I suggest anyone stops smoking for that reason? I should say I don't allow cats anywhere near customer quilts. Ever. Mine are a different matter and that is my choice. I also know that friends who are very sensitive to cats are not alergic to my quilts so I am very confident that the customer ones that have been kept away from cats will be fine.

It is the customers choice at the end of the day and there is very little we can do about it.

Ferret

Hi Kenna,

I am a smoker also and just like you we don't smoke in our house or let anyone else smoke in our house either. A couple of things I do to ensure that no smells are transfered to the quilts are: I wear a sweat shirt over my clothes when I go outside and take is off before coming into the house, wash my hands a lot, and in my quilt room its carpeted and I use regular baking soda on the carpet at least 2 times a week, I will leave the baking soda sit for 30 min to an hour.

Char

I do not smoke and smoke bothers me quite a bit. I have had a few quilts that I've had to send back because when I opened the box, the first thing that hit me was the cigarette smoke. Once I tried to hang one outside on a clear day for several days and I could still smell it. I just don't want the smell in my house, on my leaders, in my quilt storage racks so if I open a quilt that has a very strong odor, it goes back with a tactful explanation.

But, it sounds like you are very careful with not smoking in your home or around customer quilts. I have done quilts for customers and later found out they smoke but smoke only outside as you described. I could not even tell that they were a smoker and I would think that in the process of cutting, piecing and pressing the top, they're working with it a lot longer and more "hands on" than you will be while quilting it.

In fairness to customers, you might want to let them know that you do smoke but tell them what you've stated here. If they know up front, and they are ok with it, I think there should be no problems.

I am very sensitive to smoke. My husband smokes outside only. I make him air out before coming in even if it is freezing out there. If he comes into the house after smoking and sits down to the computer...I can tell...the smoke odor is on the curtains next to the computer and he hasn't touched the curtains. It is not pleasant. He is not allowed in my quilting room. As for solutions...I don't have any...I have cats too...I don't get some business because of allergies...I respect that...I am also bothered by the smell when I get quilts from smokers. Those quilts are kept separate from smokeless ones. Yes, we have to watch out for products with perfume smells...I have quilters allergic to perfumes...including me. Personally, I don't think fabreeze does a whole lot of good...tried it on my daughters wedding dress (out of depairation...couldn't get it dry cleaned in time for the wedding) that was made by a smoker who had quit 4 months prior to the wedding. The stilled dress smelled after using fabreeze. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper as the dress was not cheap.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Funny,

this is a subject I suppose I never gave any thought to. I am an EX smoker ( I was a closet smoker and only 1 or 2 people ever knew-I went to great lengths to keep the smell off of me) but am now extra sensitive to the smell of it and feel nausous (sp) passing someone smoking or who just put one out or those who smell like ash trays......... I have such a sensitive nose it's not even funny.................thankfully I have not received any quilts from smokers and never gave it a thought.

So I suppose it's another one of those individual things.............

I'm am a smoker also but only smoke outside rain, freezing weather

whatever. I am just starting to quilt for others and haven't had any

complaints. I can smell quilts going back like onions, green peppers and

garlic. Good thing I don't like fish or the smell of it or quilts might go

back smelling fishy.

Other than that I have never really thought about smells getting on

quilts. HMMMM.

Michele

I am an ex smoker, too. Have been quit for 11 years. I am not especially sensitive to it, but I can DEFINITELY tell if someone is a smoker, even if they don't smoke in their house. My parents are both smokers and they don't smoke in the house, but I can still smell it on them. That being said, I received a top from someone who obviously smoked and I just popped it in the dryer with a dryer sheet (Bounce) and it came out smelling wonderful. I did have to re-iron it, but at least I didn't have the smell transferring to the machine leaders.

I am a big believer in freedom and if someone wants to smoke, that is their prerogative. Until smoking is banned, people should just get over it. It's legal.

Just my 2 cents.

Robin :)

I'm not a smoker, but think that household smells can be an issue. I sent quilts to other before I got my longarm, and smoke was an issue, even if the perosn didn't smoke in their studio. Good handwahing helps, for sure. I still have one quilt that smells like bacon, despite repeated washings. In part I think it was a function of the backlog of work that quilter had and how long my quilt lived at her house.

It's not a matter of legal or not. If you are sensitive to it, you are.

People just need to know you will take extra good care of their work.

I have trouble with my eyes every day and have been to the doctor and use drops during the day and a heavy drop at night. This dry eye condition makes me very sensitive to smoke. I can't take a smoker's quilt. I have heard that smokers lose a lot of ability to detect odors. I can smell one cigarette in a large restaurant, can smell people's clothing or the cloud of odor in which they walk. It's so sad for smokers who cannot quit, because the risk of lung cancer is so high and the ability to survive more than five years after an initial diagnosis is only about 15% according to my oncologist. From exam rooms I heard the sad stories played out in the neighboring rooms and have lost friends to this. To me there seem no good reasons to voluntarily put smoke into a human body that needs the life giving support of clean air.

When smokers get older you can hear their raspy voice. I listened to these two famous quilters, heard their voices, and watched as they lit up outside the convention center. I'm getting so sad just writing this to you.

On a brighter note, let's have fun quilting today.

Vicki

This is what I'm concerned about, household orders as well as smoking odors. I want to have my studio as far away from the kitchen as I can get it! I just have a small apartment right now, and I have to open the doors and windows to air it out if I make bacon! I'm big on airing out the house anyway, I use the fabreeze and open the doors and windows, turn the fan on the a/c on and let it run. Especially if it's been raining.

Like I said, I try to be very considerate (sp) of others when I smoke, my mother and one of my sisters are sensitive to the smell but then again, they aren't obnoxious about it, either. It's my business, and yes I know the risks, etc. But I do not want to transfer odors of any kind to my customers quilts and disrepect their hard work. Hand washing a lot, dryer sheets, covering my clothes when I go to take a break are all on the list now. I will be upfront about my smoking and will put it on the work order with a spot to check off and the customer to initial that they were told before they turned their quilt over to me, I will also allow anyone with concerns to come visit my studio if they need to make a decision. I'm also going to have a place for them to note anything they are sensitive to so I don't use dryer sheets or fabreeze if it's a problem. Am I missing anything?

I don't smoke and am really sensitive to the odor of smoke. When I first starting LA quilting I had a quilting partner. Sometime in the first year of business she started smoking, She had given it up at some point in her life and chose to start again.

I had to part ways with her Just because of this......smokers don't realize......changing clothes, washing hands, smoking outside doesn't help. It's in your bloodstream and comes out through your pores. It get into the fabric just through your touch. Even prisoners can not opt to learn a trade in textiles, if they smoke.

I'd be very unhappy if I gave my quilt to someone to quilt and they were a smoker........If you do smoke, you need to tell your customer up front.

Gave it up years ago....

Kate Meyers

Kenna - I think that you have covered everything pretty well. That is great

to be upfront and honest about it, any customer will appericate (sp?) that.

I am personally a Non-smoker and can not stand the odors of some people.

Perfume is a biggie too! When I go to workout at the Rec Center in the

mornings - I just gag on the scent trail left by others - Oh Man! Worse yet is

when they are working out - getting hot and sweaty - with perfume on! I

have done a few stinky quilts, and many with hairs on - but hey - I have

really long dark hair. I always have it up during the day, but find it on my

clothes and such..... constantly picking it off and up. I try to make sure none

of it is on the quilts either, tough with static electricity!:mad: zap!! I like to

use static quard - but can not stand the smell of it!

I think you will do just fine - when are you going to get that machine? I

know that you have been talking about it for awhile now!!;)

LOL, visions of smoke coming out of my pores...

No idea when I'll get the machine, I have a long time left on my lease and no room here so I'll just have to be a wanna-be for awhile, yet. But hanging out here with all of you lovely quilt lovers is making the wait easier and I'm going to be sooooo prepared when I get it! Actually I could have it by now... I just refuse to quilt naked......;)

I am a wanna be who smokes. I am trying to quit, and am about to resort to Chantix which will make me sick if I do smoke.

I try to be a considerate smoker too. I smoke in posted areas and pick up my butts and put them in the can. I don't smoke around people who are sensitive and am sensitive to my own smell.

I hope that by the time I get my machine I will be a non-smoker. The world is so against smoking, but doesn't seem to understand how it feel to be addicted to nicotine. The cigarette companies have increased the nicotine in cigarettes to the point that it is even more difficult to quit now. A 10 % increase... Now smoking 1 cigarette is about 2mgs of nicotine. The strongest patch is only 21 mgs, so if you smoke a pack a day, that isn't even close to what your body is used to, to help you quit.

I want to quit. I will keep trying. I am just tired of being bashed because of smoking. If I could quit that easy, it would be a done deal.

Amen to that! Although I only smoke about 10 a day if that, it's what I do to break and change gears, take a moment to think, whatever. I know there is a nicotine handgel out now that I may try, I've heard it works. But, yes, I smoke, so get over it! As long as it doesn't bother my future cusomers and I do everything I can to keep it off the quilts I'm sure it will be fine until I do quit in just a matter of time. If not I'll recomend a non-smoker!

The Chantix has been working for me and my husband. If you have the desire to quit it's a great tool. I've tried the patch before and I always turned into a monster when I tried to quit. With the Chantix I've only been a mini monster:P The cravings havent been bad and I don't even really miss it. Good luck!

Mary

I smoked for 22 years, was up to 3 packs a day at one point. But emphysema caught up with me so I quit 15 years ago. After I quit, at first it didn't really bother me to be around smokers. But California has really ostracized smokers which, I believe, is the reason so many folks have quit smoking.

I think that I am more sensitive to smoke now than I ever was before. My boss smokes and he reeks of it even after he walks back in 100 yds from the smoke pit.

It still surprises me when I travel to hear the restaurant hostess ask the question, "Smoking or Non-smoking?". I wish I had the choice of "perfume or no perfume" in some public places. Talk about vapor trails :P that some women's fragrance and some men's cologne leave behind. Yikes. And it's not just vapor, because that perfume is on the piecers hands and then transferred to their quilt top.

But I believe that when you deal with the public, you have to be tolerant of many things. Odors is just one of those things. We learn to deal with it or we take steps to avoid these odors. It is all about your personal choice. Deal or no deal.:P

I am always so bewildered at smokers caring more about the smell in their homes or on their clothes than the damage to their lungs (and all other organs). I have two brothers-in-law that smoke like chimneys, but talk non-stop about all the ways they've learned to eat more healthy, exercise, take vitamins, etc. They worry about their eyesight, their teeth, their circulation, etc., but keep sucking that poison down into their lungs. Just don't get it, and that is just my opinion, of course.

I, personally, would not send my quilt to a smoker. We live next to a large lake. I can smell cigarettes from another boat when out on the lake. Very sensitive nose. Now that I've read this, I think I would have to ask about perfumes as well. I am VERY allergic to perfumes. Also would be very upset to find pet hair on my quilts as I have no pets. Good thing I quilt my own quilts now. :) I think I am the ODD DUCK, however, and most people do wear perfume and have pets. The smell of food or grease would be just as bad. :(

Hugs, Joy

I agree with Linda....its a Deal or No Deal.... Its a choice of whether we want to handle quilts from smokers or choose to send them back...its whatever we decide is best for us at the moment.

I have accepted many quilts that have been so smokey that I had to use a ton of fabreeze on them just so I could stand next to them....after they were done and sealed back into their bags...I would have to air out the shop and frabreeze the carpets and leaders before the next one came out of its bag. It was my choice to decide to do this.... As long as each of us is honest with the customer, and they know that we either smoke or we take in smokers quilts all should be okay...they in turn will have the choice to decide, and we as a whole need to choose to accept that.

I've NEVER had a customer complain about that..they knew I didn't smoke (gave it up for Lent about 20 years ago, and just didn't start up again), But I have never had anyone ask me if I quilted for those who do smoke. I wonder if its one of those things that if you work with the public the others just don't worry about it unless you mention it first. Some have that they are a Smoke Free studio...now if you hadn't mentioned that, would someone really worry about it.

How many of you have had customers ask if you smoke or not, or if your studio has smokers quilts in there? I haven't and I've been quilting for over 9 years. Just wondering if we are worring about something needlessly.

Guest Linda S

You know, if you were to quit smoking, I think you would be appalled at how much cigarette smoke stinks. I used to smoke. Quit about 6 years ago. The smell is awful. My secretary goes outside to smoke, comes in and washes her face and hands. I'm sorry, but she still reeks. I'm ashamed that I ever smelled that way. Smoking causes all sorts of horrible diseases. I'd try to find something that doesn't kill you to help fill your break times.

Just my opinion!

Linda

Oh yes! I do feel for those who are trying to quit smoking..... I know it isn't

exactly the same - but I keep trying to give up chocolate - I can't do

it!!:mad: Believe me - if i don't get chocolate - when I want / need it - I am

much more than a "Mini - monster"!! lol!!

Quilt over 2 years ago, thats how i was able to afford my new CQ, sorry if my customers smell my homemade bread and rolls on their quilts, but i just love homemade dough of any kind...Maybe it'll make them hungry..hehe

just think of all the quilting things you can buy without those nasty cigs smelling up yourself and your homes. Can't believe how nice my house smells now that i've quit.

Archived