Anyone interested in the quilting sequence and design choices?

I posted a Moonglow quilt today and I've had two emails on "how do you decide what to quilt?". Here ya go...

First step is the consultation--what are the customer's expectations and budget? If she says "do what you want" or "make it a show-stopper" I offer some suggestions within the parameters.

This one was "work your magic but make it different from the one you did for Mary last year". Those are hard since I probably used my first thoughts/best designs on Mary's quilt. ;)

I showed her some early thoughts and we decided on Victorian-style feathers and multiple thread colors. This was two months ago when she left the quilt! Luckily I not only take copious notes but also draw on the back of the intake sheet--otherwise I'd be lost!

I quilted the border last but pin-stabilized it every inch--both the outside edge and next to the seam. This seems to help when the border is left for last and it gets rolled up--there are fewer creases to deal with.

First pass down the quilt was black thread and CC's in those small black chains and the small black spacer border. I straightened seams and pin-stabilized every block as I advanced as well as the borders. This is where full piecing first reared its ugly head. Several blocks were full--mostly the chain blocks with one really bad pieced block. And the final third of the right border was wavin' like crazy. Pin pin pin in all the fullness and make the blocks square.

Stitched all the CCs until I was at the bottom, leaving the border unquilted. Now, still with black thread I stitched all the black filler behind the pieced stars. This pushed any fullness into the stars--exactly what I wanted to do.

To achieve the circular effect of the feathers, I marked the spines with a round template, planned the feathers so they would fit and stitched each block the same--examine the blocks and decide which way you want the feathers to "spin" and make sure they all go around every pieced block the same. I stitched each feather segment in matching thread--dark blue, purple, green, and dark teal. I stitched all the teal at one time--top to bottom-- and worked back with another color thread, etc until all the feathers were stitched.

I used the purple thread to stitch very simple CCs in all the pieced stars. Why purple? All the threads I used were darker and the purple provided a dark line without much color showing. It was a contrast but not "in-your-face". Purely personal choice and if it doesn't work on the first star, well, I have a seam ripper and I know how to use it! :P Why simple stitching on the stars--they'll be the focus with less quilting and more dimension. I don't know if you can see, but I left unquilted specific spikes in the stars--more interesting that way.

The interior is done with the exception of the colored fabric in those tiny nine-patches where the chains intersect-- I wasn't able to come up with a feather design that could catch that last tiny square and still look graceful so I left them out of the feather design. I CCed those with pale blue thread--almost invisible. 

The border.  :huh: Six 1-1/4 inch wide strips joined and mitered in the corners--grading from black to pale blue. I preferred a design to fill the border rather than stitching each color separately. I decided to span feathers across a center spine filling two strips on either side. It would have been awkward to try to fill across all six strips--the feathers would have been bigger, have to stretch far, and I had used up a lot of her budget already. Molar feather across four strips using dark blue thread, an echo in matching thread on the black outer edge and the pale blue inner border, and a final straight line to frame it all. I had subtle pleats on the last straight line on the ruffly border, but they will be subdued with some steaming. 

As usual--long-winded Linda again! I hope this is helpful. There are always lots of ways to quilt through a top--this is just specific to this one quilt and to the way my brain works!

post-881-0-35421700-1359828979_thumb.jpg

post-881-0-09477400-1359829186_thumb.jpg

Linda,  Thanks for sharing your quilting process.  I loved how you echoed the outside borders with differant colors that matched the fabrics in the shading effect. 

Did you SID around the stars after you McT the black areas or just leave them alone and then quilt the designs in them?

It turned out beautiful and I would bet the customer was thrilled!

Archived