What do you see?

I've just received the raffle quilt from my Quincy guild to work on for them. I have some ideas, but before I actually begin work on it, I thought I'd ask you guys what you see. Any and all design comments appreciated. I really try to make this quilt special since it is their main fund raiser for the year.

Thanks!!

post-2881-0-11112500-1361723412_thumb.jpgpost-2881-0-62907400-1361723591_thumb.jpg

i see loads of cc's in the colored pieces and piano keys behind the applique. 

not sure about the cream areas behind the blocks though. i think i would leave those areas empty. also, in the border, quilt cc's in the green areas with the cream areas left unquilted!

i wouldn't overdo the quilting on this one. it is beautiful! 

I see lots of quilting in your future  <_< I think Kristina's idea of piano keys in behind the applique is a good one.  Cross hatching would look good as well.  When I look at the blocks I think you have an almost flower affect around the chain blocks.  Can you come up with a design to accentuation the circle or rounded shapes in the background?  I wouldn't do much but SID in the colored sections and let them really pop, push back the background area.  

So, this is what I was thinking: CC's or SID around the colored blocks and squares, with some sort of design in the larger (I think they're 4") colored squares. I was thinking molar feathers to fill up the cream areas around the cream colored rounded shapes.

However, after listening to your opinions so far, I'm liking the idea of pushing the cream areas back to let the color truly pop. In the outside border, I'm going to do something that will not accentuate the corners. There is barely 1/4 inch between the outer cream squares and the green triangle edge of the quilt. I'm afraid their binding is going to chop all those points off. I'm thinking of thin lines going back and forth in the cream and maybe just a squiggle design of some point in the green. That one's a thinker.

Hey, Kristina...what is a thin ribbon candy. 'splain please!!!

Great ideas offered for this one!

I agree that quilting the lights and letting the colors pop would be a great way to go. Those white diagonal chains--CC down one side as far as you can go on the diagonal to the right, including the large light blocks, then CC back catching the other side to end up where you started. Now the light chain squares are all done in one direction. To stitch CC's in the other direction (diagonally to the left) stitch CC's in the small light squares and as you get to the already CC'd large square, stitch another set of CC's inside the first set--continue as far as you can and CC back, finishing the chain and ending up with single CC's in the small squares and double CC's in the large center squares. That fills the large square enough so no other quilting is needed and both directions of the chain quilting are continuous. I hope I explained that well enough--easier to draw but I know you get the drift!

The light petal-shapes in the alternate block need something special and I know you'll find something great for those areas!

I hope I explained that well enough--easier to draw but I know you get the drift!

The light petal-shapes in the alternate block need something special and I know you'll find something great for those areas!

Yep, Linda, that was clear as mud ;)

Actually, I do get what you're saying and I like it. I'll be thinking about those light colored flower shaped areas for days!!!  Trying to come up with something stunning and perfect! :huh:

What about if you put a feathered wreath, sort of like a four petalled flower, around the coloured square right out the the edge of the green blocks.  Then for all the green blocks you did long Diagonal lines through the centres like an Irish chain or ou could put striaght line going around a green square.

Hi Dory,  When you look at the picture of the whole quilt, The flower shape with the large square in the middle really pops out.  What about lines that radiate from the larger square to the edges of the flower petal?  That along with SID around all the chains would really pop out the flower shapes.  I made a rough drawing with the dotted lines being the stitching lines.  Obviously your line placement would be much better than my drawing! LOL  You could quilt the large square in the center so it resembled the center of the flower.  I just put circles for an example.  With a nice wool batting, they would really look like blooms.8508475106_e598735369.jpg

DSCN1234 by chrisquilt00, on Flickr

Archived