When did I miss the boat? Steamers: who knew?

I know I can't be the first to discover this, but I must not have seen it before or age made me forget it if I did!   I was telling a customer I will have to charge for ironing the oversize backing she brought to me because they always have fold creases from the folds on the bolt. This is a major PITA with those big ones. She asked why I didn't just steam it.  Light bulb moment!  She offered to let me use her clothes steamer to give it a try.  It worked like a dream!  I would wish for a longer hose but when I buy my own ASAP I will look for that quality.  I just draped it over the rollers on my machine and steamed away, then shifted and repeated.  I was done it a fraction of the time it took me to iron it.  I no longer feel like I will have to charge for that, it was so quick!   Totally awesome!!!

I have used Heidi's method of spraying a backing and letting it hang overnight and that works well too but sometimes I have to move along to the next quilt without the wait in between.   

I use a mister bottle from the beauty supply shop that I fill with water and lightly spray the backer with if it has any folds or creases that don't easily come out when rolling on the bars. I load and roll onto the take-up bar first, so when I back roll onto the belly bar, I spray a little water on the creases and roll. It's cheap and works good even when the backing is really wrinkled and creased. Give it a try it before buying a steamer!

Yup...I can hang it over the rollers and spritz it and go entertain myself "piddling around" until I'm ready to load it on the machine.  Works great and beats the heck out of ironing.  I must have listened when I went to "Ironing Rehab".  :D  

Archived