Why Men Should Not Go In Quilt Stores

A little less than 2 years ago I walked in to a quilt shop in Port Townsend, Washington while on a little vacation with my wife. I saw a quilt on the wall and said, "Mary, buy that pattern and make me a quilt". She purchased the pattern. A few months went by and she had not started the quilt. I said, "I am going to make that quilt". She said, "OK, I will teach you how to quilt". I started by practicing, Ohio Stars, Pointy Stars, and Pin Wheels. Then I went to the quilt store and sellected the material. $$$ After a month of instructions my wife left home for 2 weeks to take care of her mother. I cut and pieced the quilt top.

Then she set the hook. "APQS" is going to have a demo of their machines. Do you want to go and see them"? "Sure"! I reply. Long story short I now own a Millie and have started to learn to be a long arm machine quilter.

I finished this quilt I asked my wife to make for me. I figure it has cost me some where North of $17,000 dollars at this point. I no longer golf, my number of male friends has dropped drasticly. On the up side I have a lot more female friends. And every morning I am on the net looking to see what else I can learn from the Gone Quilting Chat Room.

I hope this has not been to boring. I did want to share pictures and thank all of the quilters out there who I am always learning from. A very special "Thank You" to my wife Mary for all of the direction she has given me in my new found passion.

Quilt Design: Making Connections by Karen Montgomer

Panto: Design by Deb, Leaf Pile

Batiks from: The Pine Needle Lake "O" Oregon Thanks Jeri!

2100078990099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2155607400099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2378611190099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2720298950099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

This is wonderful. The quilt is beautiful and it seems you are hooked. Fun and addicting. I discovered quilting a few years ago, after having made garments most of my life. Don't make garments anymore; don't even do my kids repairs. Too old to waste my time doing any sewing except quilting. Good luck, Chuckster.Marilyn

Wowee-zowee Chuckster!!

Beautiful quilt and fabulous quilting. I love the story and am glad you have a new passion. Did your lost male friends get to see that wonderful piece of machinery you bought? My DH is proud to show the guys "our" Milli!

Are you located in the Northwest?

Keep posting pics and have a blast!

Linda R

Olympia

Chuck,

Beautiful quilt! Great fabric choices, very nice pattern, terrific quilting. I plan to share your story with my son sho started quilting.

About 2 years ago he decided to make a twin bed size quilt for his girlfriend's 25th birthday. He wanted to give her something very special that she would always remember, so he decided on a quilt. Now, how many girls can say their boyfriend made them a quilt for their 25th birthday? Not too many, I would guess. It was just 6" squares sewn together, and a few borders, a great choice of beautiful fabrics, and SID (I don't have a LA...yet) on my Bernina. It wasn't perfect, but it looked very, very nice, and she was totally in shock! She loved it!

Last summer he made a baby quilt for my granddaughter/his neice. He then taught his girlfriend how to sew and quilt, bought his own domestic machine, and helped her make a bed quilt for her mother for Christmas.

This weekend I am meeting him at our LQS to pick out some fabric, another foot for his machine and then we'll have lunch together and talk about quilting. He already is building his "statch." He loves fabric.

I know he wants me to buy a long arm, as he is facinated with them, almost as much as I am. Hummm...halfers? Just a thought.:)

He has not lost his male friends, but he did say they just don't understand :) On the flip side, he also has made many more female acquaintances and friends due to his quilting. I think he is just fine with that.

Anyway, Chuck, thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt pictures and for telling your story.

Sandy

Chuckster,

What a great quilt and story...I have been to the same quilt store. At one time we traveled a lot and I pick up fat quarters in every town/city we go to. I intend to make a "travel quilt" of all the places we have been. However, when we went to Port Townsend I forgot to get my fat quartes...all the more reason to go back...I love the country side there. After reading your story....I am going to plan a trip, my DH is going if he likes it or not :)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt...

Oh my geepers, Chuckster! That is amazing. I bet if you just polish your story up a tiny bit some quilting mag would snap it right up for publication. Yup. And you just made a whole bunch more new female friends here, including me. I am just so blown away with what you did there, and all on your own without your wife's help. I love the colors. Were you matching the pattern picture or did you choose your own? If you come to Beth's LQS this Sunday, maybe I can get away and sit near you and the magic can sort of waft between us.... beginner's luck? LOL!! No, you obviously have a very artistic sense and picked up the skills very quickly. Great job!! And when I think what the world has been missing until you wandered into that shop in P.T. with your wife...... I don't know if my hubby has even ever been inside one, now that I think of it. LOL! I think he's afraid the bug will bit him too!

Gardenslug, it's the same with me. I even sewed debutante gowns for a designer in Newport Beach, Cal. once. But ever since I met a certain quilter who told me I - klutzy, slow, no good with my hands, *I* - could really do it, I've lost the thrill of sewing clothing. There's just something about this cotton stuff that woos people like a lover, eh? Besides, you don't have to fit armholes or measure anybody but a bed, LOL!!

I'm still blown away, Chuckster.....!

Originally posted by chuckster46

A little less than 2 years ago I walked in to a quilt shop in Port Townsend, Washington while on a little vacation with my wife. I saw a quilt on the wall and said, "Mary, buy that pattern and make me a quilt". She purchased the pattern. A few months went by and she had not started the quilt. I said, "I am going to make that quilt". She said, "OK, I will teach you how to quilt". I started by practicing, Ohio Stars, Pointy Stars, and Pin Wheels. Then I went to the quilt store and sellected the material. $$$ After a month of instructions my wife left home for 2 weeks to take care of her mother. I cut and pieced the quilt top.

Then she set the hook. "APQS" is going to have a demo of their machines. Do you want to go and see them"? "Sure"! I reply. Long story short I now own a Millie and have started to learn to be a long arm machine quilter.

I finished this quilt I asked my wife to make for me. I figure it has cost me some where North of $17,000 dollars at this point. I no longer golf, my number of male friends has dropped drasticly. On the up side I have a lot more female friends. And every morning I am on the net looking to see what else I can learn from the Gone Quilting Chat Room.

I hope this has not been to boring. I did want to share pictures and thank all of the quilters out there who I am always learning from. A very special "Thank You" to my wife Mary for all of the direction she has given me in my new found passion.

Quilt Design: Making Connections by Karen Montgomer

Panto: Design by Deb, Leaf Pile

Batiks from: The Pine Needle Lake "O" Oregon Thanks Jeri!

2100078990099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2155607400099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2378611190099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2720298950099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

Loved your quilt and your story. Too bad more men don't try it, they would love it as well. You are to be commended, some guysmight think it isn't a man thing but I personally think it takes a man who is sure of himself to do something that is thought of as "women only" and when he does, he can encourage his other friends to try it. I think it is relaxing and gets your mind off things you can't do anything about. Better than a psychiatrist and much more fun and gratifying.

I purchased a new millie but haven't had the chance to really work with it due to some outside things happening but look forward to getting on it soon.

I ENVY your wife! My husbad just left for the golf course. Again! What a waste of time and money! Don't you think a Millie is a better use of your resources than a few years of golf? I sure do! And unlike golf, with quilting, you have something wonderful to show for your efforts and resource allocation. Your quilt is beautiful! I can't wait to see what you do next.

I am copying and pasting your post into an email and sending to my husband! And every other man I know who golfs.

OK, the part about loosing guy friends is a little bit of story telling. The truth is that I do not have the time for some of those activities anymore.

The quilt store in Port Townsend has closed, unfortunately. The lady retired. The good news is that a wine store is moving in.

I had an idea of what I wanted the quilt to look like. I call it Autumn Sun. The selection of material was a collabartive effort between DW, Geri from the Pine Needle and my self. About an hour and a half of bolts of material spread across the floor of the shop. A very good time. My DW and I have always amazed people on how our color eye and mind work together. Helping her select colors and do layouts is really how see drew me in to quilting. My mother sewed and sold fabric at Sears. So, I guess I have it in my blood.

The truth is I have never had so much fun.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Chuck,

Beautiful quilt! Great fabric choices, very nice pattern, terrific quilting. I plan to share your story with my son sho started quilting.

About 2 years ago he decided to make a twin bed size quilt for his girlfriend's 25th birthday. He wanted to give her something very special that she would always remember, so he decided on a quilt. Now, how many girls can say their boyfriend made them a quilt for their 25th birthday? Not too many, I would guess. It was just 6" squares sewn together, and a few borders, a great choice of beautiful fabrics, and SID (I don't have a LA...yet) on my Bernina. It wasn't perfect, but it looked very, very nice, and she was totally in shock! She loved it!

Last summer he made a baby quilt for my granddaughter/his neice. He then taught his girlfriend how to sew and quilt, bought his own domestic machine, and helped her make a bed quilt for her mother for Christmas.

This weekend I am meeting him at our LQS to pick out some fabric, another foot for his machine and then we'll have lunch together and talk about quilting. He already is building his "statch." He loves fabric.

I know he wants me to buy a long arm, as he is facinated with them, almost as much as I am. Hummm...halfers? Just a thought.:)

He has not lost his male friends, but he did say they just don't understand :) On the flip side, he also has made many more female acquaintances and friends due to his quilting. I think he is just fine with that.

Anyway, Chuck, thanks for sharing your beautiful quilt pictures and for telling your story.

Sandy

Sandy, your son sounds like such a total sweet heart! Making a quilt for his girl friend and a baby quilt for his niece... Awww that's just too awesome! :) I am sure you are very proud of the all-around young man that he has grown up to be! :) It's cool that guys can break the stereotype and still be guys... you know? My father in law, Mike even enjoys playing on the Millennium he just bought for Ingrid. He's a really artistic guy so that does not surprise me.

Have a great day, everyone!

Shana

Cathey,

I have 3 maybe 4 sets of golf clubs and about a tackle shop full of fishing gear stored in the attic above the garrage. Please do not make me too many enemies with your email campaign. LOL My golf buddies are amazed but really do not understand.

The other part that makes this work is that my DW and I have known each other since I was 7 and she was 9 years old. We have been hang out together for a very long time. Things still get a little tense from time to time but we like being together. We feel very blessed.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

I am in the same boat (no fishing allowed though, might snag the batting). We purchased as Milli a few month back and Kelly hasn't done too much with it, but I have done almost 10 quilts now. I play with it all the time.

I have one that will be in a quilt show in Santa Cruz, on the 23 and 24 of February.

I too, have my golf clubs. But I hit the range almost everyday after work, and play at least once a month.

I have been payed for 3 quilts so far, and the rest have been for advertising and publicity. My wife is glad that I have an activity that actually has income potential, unlike golf (at least for me anyway).

Keep it up, its great fun to be in this world of quilting with all these talented people who love to share their knowledge and are helpful. (Just like at the local golf course -- yea right!!!)

Congratulations, I could not see the quilts my work block web shots can you post a picture or two!

Bye for now...

Chuckster, I, too, am enjoying your beautiful quilt & the story behind it. Noticed that you are an excellent piecer; you have points that are matching perfectly--a skill that some pieces never acquire! Loved your colors, loved your quilting. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Thanks for giving credit to the pattern designers, too, as well as the name of the fabric collection.

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

Well well, my DH isn't so strange after all:D he loves my Millie and my budget barely survives HIS trips to the fabric store. He is so incredibly busy these days that he hasn't gotten to do any actual quilting yet, but he has a stash to die for and all kinds of patterns drafted waiting to be done up.

By the way, he is joining us all at Beth's get together on Sunday so I surely hope more of you gentlemen show up. It is going to be so interesting and fun:D

Archived