Why Men Should Not Go In Quilt Stores

LOL. We have a main street location and get quite a few "lookers". Men are intrigued by the machine, often times more than their wives - especially after we describe our Millie as a "Power tool with thread".

Your quilt is great!!!

So, Chuck, do you have a single brother who would like to live in Texas? LOL! How great it would be to have a DH....especially one who would participate and is as creative as you and Mike and the other men who are learning about the wonderful world of quilts! (...and Jamie Wallen, and Ricky Tims...) :D

Oh oh. Somehow my husband's email gets these messages instead of mine and he got this one first. Now I'm in trouble, as I just got my Millie a week ago and he saw the quilt you made. I might have to figure out how to lock my machine now, LOL.

You did a beautiful job, I hope you share that machine with your wife!

Judylee Z

:D

Don't know if anyone else saw it, but there is an article in the latest AQS Quilt magazine (American Quilter, Spring 2007) highlighting six couples that quilt together (Quilting by Twos). A number of the men discovered and ended up purchasing a Long Arm. Its that tool angle! Anyway, it is a fun article to read if you get a chance.

Chuck, you are not alone in your interest in quilting!

Gail

Chuck,

You did a wonderful job with your quilt - piecing and quilting alike!

My husband hasn't given piecing or quilting a try yet - but I'm pretty sure that he'll give quilting a try once he finds some time (and finds the machine without a quilt loaded, that is...)

Keep those pictures coming.

Thanks for sharing,

Birgit

Chuck, You are a natural, in every sense of the way. It's so warming to my heart to read your story. What a great first quilt!! My husband will get a copy of this to read. I've been trying to tap into his fantastic art ability. So far, he's drawn out one CQ design, but still has not gotten hit by the bug. I'm hoping. He does find some out-of-the way great quilt stores, and brings me to them. So, it's only time and future retirement that may get him too. Thanks again for sharing.

Such a beautiful quilt, chuckster. Hope to see you tomorrow at Beth's gathering. Gotta meet the man behind the talent. And of course I went looking for the pattern. Finally googled Karen Montgomery and found her quilt pattern at her shop's website: www.thequiltcompany.com. Of course I have to make this quilt. it is gorgeous.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Nancy

Originally posted by chuckster46

A little less than 2 years ago I walked in to a quilt shop in Port Townsend, Washington while on a little vacation with my wife. I saw a quilt on the wall and said, "Mary, buy that pattern and make me a quilt". She purchased the pattern. A few months went by and she had not started the quilt. I said, "I am going to make that quilt". She said, "OK, I will teach you how to quilt". I started by practicing, Ohio Stars, Pointy Stars, and Pin Wheels. Then I went to the quilt store and sellected the material. $$$ After a month of instructions my wife left home for 2 weeks to take care of her mother. I cut and pieced the quilt top.

Then she set the hook. "APQS" is going to have a demo of their machines. Do you want to go and see them"? "Sure"! I reply. Long story short I now own a Millie and have started to learn to be a long arm machine quilter.

I finished this quilt I asked my wife to make for me. I figure it has cost me some where North of $17,000 dollars at this point. I no longer golf, my number of male friends has dropped drasticly. On the up side I have a lot more female friends. And every morning I am on the net looking to see what else I can learn from the Gone Quilting Chat Room.

I hope this has not been to boring. I did want to share pictures and thank all of the quilters out there who I am always learning from. A very special "Thank You" to my wife Mary for all of the direction she has given me in my new found passion.

Quilt Design: Making Connections by Karen Montgomer

Panto: Design by Deb, Leaf Pile

Batiks from: The Pine Needle Lake "O" Oregon Thanks Jeri!

2100078990099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2155607400099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2378611190099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

2720298950099798652S425x425Q85.jpg

I read your story to my husband because he has told me that when I bought material to make him a quilt.... He says now he is glad he did not quilt!!! He has no other hobbies. He is a welder and thinks he does quilting already when he welds two pieces of metal together.

Hi Shana,

Thanks for the kind words about my son. I'll pass them along to him as continued encouragement to keep him quilting.

His girlfriend's father is a retired commander (I hope that is the correct title) from the Navy, now in his 70s. Andrew saw a picture of a Mariner's Compas in the LQS yesterday and said he wants to make one for Bridget's father...after he gets better with his piecing, and then send it to a LAer to quilt. Wow! That is ambitious.

During lunch, I dropped a hint about going halfers on a LA. He said due to his school loans, he could not consider it just now, but he would keep it in the back of his mind. Very sensible.

Well, Shana...I will be coming into your "territory" this Thursday. I have a flight to Anchorage, but leave the next day for Nome and then St. Michael. I will be there a week, then Nome to Anchorage again. I will be in the Anchorage vicinity till 3/5. I will probably also get to Talkeetna for a couple of days, but not as far as Fairbanks or North Pole.

So near, and yet so far, as the poem says, or was that a song? Perhaps we will meet at a quilting convention some year, or at classes when we both eventually get our Millies.

Sandy

Hi, Sandy.

You will just miss me in Anchorage -- I fly down there next Sunday, Feb 18 for a follow-up appointment with my foot surgeon, on Monday Feb 19, then back home that afternoon. Enjoy your time in Nome, St. Michael and Talkeetna! Hope it's clear and McKinley is sticking out in all its glory while you're in Anchorage & Talkeetna; you've got some nice views of it there. Looks like you will be in Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod. We've had some really pretty, bright, clear days here lately, so maybe it will stay that way for you? :cool:

One of my prior bosses who worked with me here was retired fom the Navy and his official rank was "O-6" Captain. During his career, he spent time as Commander for a fleet of submarines. I believe that a Captain "O-6" rank in the Navy is similar to a Colonel "O-6"rank in the Army. The next step up from a Navy Captain is Rear Admiral. (I'm not from a military family, so I might be wrong...). Anyway, I'm sure his girlfriend, Bridget's father, Captain _____, will be very honored to recieve the mariner's compass quilt. I have a few paper piece patterns for a mariner's compass and one of these days I'm going to make one. :) So many quilts, so little time...

Enjoy a wonderful time in Alaska, Sandy. I hope to meet you some day, too. Shana

Hi Chuck & Mary - It was good to get to meet you at Beth's get together yesterday. My DH really was impressed with your quilt. He wants to do that someday, but probably not in the near future. He still has to go out and make $$$ so that I can quilt!!!! LOL:) Your quilt is even more beautiful in person than the pictures show. But I think they are all that way!! Have a great day. Oh, yea, I've posted the group picture in "We've met some new friends" A pretty handsome group if I do say so!

Pat,

It was great to meet you and Bill. Thank you for all of the kind words. I am looking for my next piecing project. I am open for any ideas.

I have two quilts with red work panels and I am working up designs for them. I do not like to quilt across red work so I am developing shadowing skills and mirostippling. Always something to learn. That is what I love about this.

Mary says, "Hello". Take care,

Chuck

Chuck, that is an amazing quilt and I know you must be very proud of it. However, now I'm sure you'll find that this is just the beginning. The quilting bug is hard to get rid of once it takes hold. Actually, I think it is incurable once you get it. My husband has no interest in quilting himself, but will go with me to quilt shops and dole out the dough for my addiction. He also went to an APQS demo with me and bought me a millie for my birthday a year and a half ago. He is a sweetie and a definite keeper, which I'm sure is how your wife feels about you. Have fun, play and keep creating beautiful quilts. ;)

Archived