bobbin winder

I have the APQS bobbin winder.  It has always been hard to push the half-moon shaped mechanism to the left to engage the winder.  I was using prewounds but have started winding my own.  I actually have to use both thumbs to engage it.  It's a little scary, because I'm afraid of getting my thumb somewhere it shouldn't be :D     Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anybody else have an issue with the bobbin slowing way down as it fills?  Once mine gets to about 3/4 full, the bobbins have started to barely move, even though the sound of the winder's motor doesn't change.  It also doesn't seem to shut off automatically, or at least not until the bobbin is overfilled. :(

I am not afraid of my bobbin winder, but I am afraid of one of my embroidery hoops!  LOL   It is magnetic and so strong that the top and bottom snap together if they get too close to each other, and your fingers better not be near it!  Ouch!  It is wonderful, tho, for holding quilt sandwiches to be embroidered, or thick jackets or towels.  Nothing is going to slip or move in that baby!!

Betsy:  It sounds like you bobbins are slipping on the spindle.  I don't know what type winder you have.  I have a stand alone industrial winder, and the spindle on it has a slot in the middle.  You can increase the spindle size by pushing a screw driver into it and expanding it.  That will eliminate the slip.  A word of caution however, I've found some of my bobbins (especially cheap ones) aren't uniform with regard to the center hole - some are oversize- so check for that first.  Any such bobbin, I discard.

Perhaps your winder does not have this feature, but if it does, you can solve the problem easily.  Good luck.  Jim

Himself made me a little gadget to turn it on. Just a wooden dowel with a piece of heavy wire bent to a flat J, meaning the curve doesn't come way up.  It just fits in the hand nicely, goes around the rod end of the Turbo on-off flapper.  Just push it to the left or the on position and that's it. 

Rita

Archived