Hanging Customer Quilts For Them to See

When I know a customer is coming to pick her quilt up, I try to hang them so that's the first thing the customer sees when she (I have no He customers at this time) walks through the door.  Yesterday the customer actually told me TWICE that she'd prefer to come pick hers up as opposed to me delivering it because she loves to see them hanging when she walks in the door!  And here I thought I was being selfish in that I love to see the customer's reaction when they see their quilted quilt for the first time.  Sometimes they cry, sometimes they are speechless, and I've even had them scream (a good scream of course).  It's my "feel good" time about why I started quilting for customers.  Sometimes they get sick of looking at their quilt tops by the time they bring it to me, and it's a sense of renewal for them when they see the almost finished product.

This was yesterday's quilt.  I only quilted a pantograph.  It was her piecing and color choices that stole the moment.  Seeing it hanging did the trick.

12519497235_4cb694e1cb.jpg
Marilouquilt by chrometopquilts, on Flickr

I absolutely agree! Having the quilt hung so the customer can view the whole thing is a great service and a thrill for the customer. Makes for great photos as well. As you stated Cindy, many times the customer is tired of looking at the top and when it's quilted and hung it gives another dimension to it. I've had people say it doesn't even look like the same quilt!

That red and white quilt is stunning! 

That's a beautiful quilt Cindy!  No wonder she was so thrilled. 

I don't have a good spot to hang my quilts, but what I normally do when a customer is coming to pick their quilt up is that I will have their quilt spread out on the bed in the spare bedroom which is right next to my quilting room.   This always generates lots of ooooooooohs and ahhhhhhhhhhs and they keep petting their quilt and then flipping it up to see the back too.  :rolleyes:

I have a quilt hanging system that was cheap and works well. 

If you don't have a wall suitable for hanging, years ago someone shared that they had a pulley system above and parallel to their frame. When the quilt was finished she could hang it up so most of it was vertical and the customer could see it easily. Because she had lights above her machine, it made the quilting really stand out.

My hanging system is posted on my Flickr account and I'll attach a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/10735340246/

Beautiful, quilt, Cindy! I think it's perfect for a panto (I'm a panto lover!) Which one did you quilt out?

Linda, I love the simplicity of your hanging system. It's something I could actually make! Do you think DH would notice it hanging from the ceiling in the living room???

Marilyn, you are not alone! I don't have a hanging system either, no room for one, but it gives us something to dream about having, right? I like your idea of spreading it on a bed. My dining room table is only 60 inches round, not nearly the size needed for a big quilt. Alas, I don't have a spare bedroom in this house  :(

Beautiful, quilt, Cindy! I think it's perfect for a panto (I'm a panto lover!) Which one did you quilt out?

Bonnie, I quilted Plush Plumes on it.  Really gave it some great movement.  Same customer took her Kansas Comfort quilt she made for show and tell at the guild meeting today.  I quilted a panto on it, too.  Well I have another Kansas Comfort to quilt for another customer that wanted custom.  Now this customer decided she'd rather have a panto on hers after seeing the panto one today!  Yeah for me because I'm nearing burnout on customs and I make more per hour doing edge to edge! 

I hang customer quilts on the bannister railing (with bicycle clips) in the foyer. The quilt is in full view when they enter. It is heart warming to see the expression on their face when they see their finished quilt top for the first time.

Leslie

P.S. Love the red pineapple quilt

Archived