Progress on Star quilt

I posted pictures on FB but I know many of you aren't on FB so I'll post here too.  Progress has been slowed due to a pinched sciatic nerve that I've now been fighting for 3 weeks.  The pain has been horrible.  I got a shot in my back last Wed. and that has helped.  I have 3 herniated disks and narrowing of the canals.  It takes a lot to put me down but this sure has!  I can't stand for more than 10 min. without the pain elevating.  Mornings are the absolute worst and suck the life out of me for almost 2 or 3 hours.  I hope it gets better soon.  In the meantime I've had time to work on my star quilt a little.  Thank goodness for my saddle stool because without being able to sit I wouldn't be able to quilt at all.  I can quilt for an hour or so at a time and then have to take a break so it is slow going.  Since the quilt is only 33" it is going quickly.  I've added some money in the pictures so you can get a size perspective.  The little pebbles are 3/16".  I'm almost done stabilizing the whole quilt and have the "big" outside feathers almost done, they are probably 3" x 7" or so, maybe a little longer. I love doing this little work.   

post-2404-0-85733700-1453681041_thumb.jpg

post-2404-0-24212300-1453681043_thumb.jpg

post-2404-0-62320400-1453681044_thumb.jpg

Heidi

Very pretty.  The really small detail quilting would drive me nuts but it looks so fantastic when you complete it.  From the last picture it looks like it's a preprinted whole cloth....is this correct or did you draw the designs yourself?  Whichever it's beautiful.

David

Heidi

Very pretty.  The really small detail quilting would drive me nuts but it looks so fantastic when you complete it.  From the last picture it looks like it's a preprinted whole cloth....is this correct or did you draw the designs yourself?  Whichever it's beautiful.

David

David - no it isn't preprinted, all my original design.  The top I created in EQ and then I designed the feathers around it.  I used a blue washout pen to transfer the designs.

Wow! That's inadequate to describe this little quilt.  Magnificent is probably more appropriate.  What thread are you using to quilt with since the designs are so small?

Debbie,  Thanks for putting a smile on my face :-).  I'm using SoFine for all the SID work, in white.  I was a little worried about it showing too much on the star but it really doesn't so I'm happy with that.  I'm using Bottom line in the bobbin.  The feathers will also be done in SoFine.  Once all that is done I'll switch to silk.  I have pink, green and white.  I'll do all the backgrounds in the white.  My goal is to let the quilting really pop and not let the thread take over.  I can't really get a picture to show how small this quilt really is.  LOL  When people see it in "real life" they are shocked at the size even though I've said how big it is.  It is fun to watch their faces.  Hoping to get to the background fills later today.  I think I finally have all my design choices made.

Heidi,  My, My, My.  How magnificent.  I cannot think of a better word to describe your work.  I so admire you for the work you are doing on your quilts.  They are just absolutely beautiful.  This one is going to be just outstanding.  Don't know how you do it, but I do so admire you for your fantastic work.  Prayers sent out to you.  Hope you feel much better soon.

I used a blue washout pen to transfer the designs.

The piecing and the quilting look lovely.  Can you tell us how you transferred the design?

I normally use a blue water soluble like you, but  take the paper stencil and either quilt it with no thread to put in holes if using iron away pounce, or poke holes over the design with an empty ballpoint pen, and then pocking the water soluble through the holes to form my design.  I would like an easier and faster method. Yours looks so wonderful.

Cagey

I hope and pray you are feeling better soon.

The piecing and the quilting look lovely.  Can you tell us how you transferred the design?

I normally use a blue water soluble like you, but  take the paper stencil and either quilt it with no thread to put in holes if using iron away pounce, or poke holes over the design with an empty ballpoint pen, and then pocking the water soluble through the holes to form my design.  I would like an easier and faster method. Yours looks so wonderful.

Cagey

I hope and pray you are feeling better soon.

Cagey normally I use a light box or the back of my quilting table.  I have the under the table light that Dave Jones makes and rotate that to the back.  I have the older table that has plexiglass instead of being a solid top.  I LOVE it!  When I designed this quilting design I did one quarter of the design on tracing paper.  That way I can audition the design on top of the quilt.  I used my original paper pattern for the scroll work part of the quilt.  Once I had the bones the way I wanted them, the little pebbles were my bones, then I created the feathers.  Since I was really worried about this design coming together I took my drawing to the copy store and had 4 copies made of it and put them all together, then applied them to the backside of the quilt.  I was very relieved when it all fit!  The feathers in the stars I did the same way, traced the shape I needed to fill and went from there for the diamond feathers.  The other feather is part of the outside feather and I modified it to fill the smaller area.  

So in essence, you are stenciling/marking the quilt prior to sandwiching it.  Thank you for explaining your method.

Cagey

Cagey yes I marked it all before I sandwiched it.  The background work doesn't include all the little feathers that will also be included but it gives me the bones so I can keep the lines straight.  The very outside will actually be 1/8" lines but I did a 1" grid so I can keep it straight.

This will be a masterpiece, Heidi. Hope you find an answer to end your discomfort. I would like to ask you...when you are finished, how will you be removing the ink marks? Thanks for posting, Sally

Sally the quilt will be soaked in plain water and then I'll add Synthrapol after the blue marks are gone.  Soaking is the only real way to get all the blue out.  

Archived