DD Update

For those of you who read about my daughter and the trouble she is having with her pregnancy, if you could keep her in your prayers a little longer I would appreciate it. She had a good week last week, but Monday it all started again.

They are coming out to her house to put in a pick line for her meds, IV drip, and nutrition so they don't have to keep sticking her. She looks like a black and blue pin cushion. She is not keeping anything down - again. We are at 13 weeks, so I would think it should start slowing down some, but she is still very sick.

Her doctor is in a group of doctors and it seems she has talked to all of them by now. They keep asking the same question..."Are you pregnant with twins?" I have a feeling if she is not....this will be an only child ;)

Thank you all for your prayers and support.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary Beth,

I'm keeping your family in my thoughts right now.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but please tell her to keep her thoughts positive, stay focused on happy and healthy, and to be patient and soon this ordeal will be over and done. I think that mind over matter is so important.

She is also very lucky to have you as her mom to support her through this. :)

Thanks Shana! Jen is 27 years old. She miscarried the first time so I am so concerned for her this time. She is just miserable because she has been sick like this for about 10 weeks or so. There have only been about 5 or 6 good days in that lenght of time where she could get up and move without tossing her cookies. She is such a character so it is hard to see someone go through something like this and you cannot help. I know it will pass, and I keep trying to tell her that, but comes a point when you don't know what to say any more.

Today they put the pick line in her arm, her poor DH almost passed out and they had to take him out of the room....wait this she has this baby!! :D

Mary Beth,

I too shall put Jen on my pray list.....warm and happy thoughts are being sent her way...

I sort of laughed at your DH.....if he thought the pick was bad going in wait till he see them pull it.... My hubby had one for 12 weeks that I had to put Antibiotics though when he got hurt a couple of yeas ago. It will be way easier for her to do it this way....and there isn't any pain.

Again warm and happy thoughts for all....just wait till the baby gets here, and all this will seem like a bad dream...

Bonnie,

Thank you for not telling me what a pic-line was...I probably would have fainted too :) I am not a nurse, not even a shadow of a nurse. In fact I run the other direction when someone is sick....guess who spent the night at my house last night! Yep, Jennifer. We did fine trying to manuver the IV pole when she felt she could move. There are not quick trips to the bathroom, no, she keeps a pan close by. Now I am sure I don't want to be a nurse :D. They told her yesterday that this could last all 9 months and that she will have good days and really, really bad days. Yesterday was a really, really bad day. She has ate a tablespoon of applesauce today and lost it already. I have a feeling today will be no better than yesterday. Whew, I'll be glad when this is over, and I know Jen will.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. It really means a lot to us.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth;

Have they done an ultrasound yet, the reason why I asked is because my doctors didn't know that I was carrying twins until I had my ultrasound. My twins were girls and their heartbeats were identical and on the same beat. It was my 4th pregnancy and I was getting larger quicker than the rest but they say that can happen with each pregnancy. Anyways after my 6th month I had to be hospitalized for the rest of my pregnancy due to preterm labor (I ended up being in labor for 6 1/2 weeks straight (I was only allowed to have 4 contractions per hour this was kept in checked by a magnesium sulfate drip)until the twins were born). Longest labor I ever had.

Anyways has she been gaining any weight? I am suprised that if she is so sick that they don't put her in the hospital to monitor her & the baby's progress 24/7.

I will be praying for her...it can be a very long pregnancy when you are couped up like this.

Joann

Mary Beth, I can't say anything the others haven't already said. I will keep her in my thoughts and pray for the best outcome. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. Our last day of school is the 25th, so I could come out to Kansas City after that and give you some help if you need it.

Mary Beth, tell your daughter to hang in there and this will pass and be a distant memory once the baby arrives. I was sick for three months with my first pregnancy and you could clock me - I would throw up every 15 minutes from the time I got up til I went to bed. I waited 5 years before getting pregnant again and that time I wasn't sick at all! So each pregnancy is different. Tell her to have faith and we will all be praying for her that this passes soon. Janet

Thank you all!! The encouragement really helps. It is so frustrating to be the mom and not be able to help your child when they are going through something like this.

Jen spent the night at our house last night..my DH is of the opinion that you can "over power it" when you are getting sick, and to some degree you can. However, he found out that a pic-line is a wire that goes from the bend in your arm to near your heart for the IV drip, meds, nutrition, etc. He also was the first one up this morning so he got to help her change the meds in the pump that she has to carry 24/7 for the queezies...He also stood by while she was talking to the nurse about doing a larger dose to try to settle her stomach. He said, "How much more can you do?" Then, "Will this be the only child you have?" He sees now that you just can't "over power" every condition.

I skipped work today to help Jen. Help her! What can you do? I cleaned house, did laundry, held her up to get her to the bathroom and back. She hasn't kept food/liquid down since Monday. They do monitor her keytone reading (spelling), so they know about how dehydrated she is. She was in the hospital for 3 day about 2 weeks ago and tomorrow it is possible her doctor will admit her again. There is now a problem getting the potassium that she needs due to insurance red tape.

I will print this off so Jen can read your encouraging words. Thank you all so much.

Oh, to top it off, I had a tooth pulled 2 weeks ago and a bridge put in...my jaw kept aching so today I had a root canal!! The up side to today is - I have Vicoden and I'm not afraid to use it :P

- I have Vicoden and I'm not afraid to use it :P

And with two you also can fly around the room....ask me how I know that.

Gene swore that he was and wanted me to help him back to bed. He was laying in the silly thing....didn't take the Doc's long to get him off that stuff.

I told them to keep him on them, he was funny to watch....they didn't see my sense of humor at all. bummer.:cool: Guess I was bored watching him lay in bed.:D

Mary Beth - you, your family and especially Jen and that little-itty baby (or

maybe both babies) are in my thoughts and prayers.... I do hope that life

will begin to get better all around. I don't see how she can be gaining any

pregnacy weight now, I do hope that the baby is growing well. I had pre-

clampisa (sp?) with both of mine, really bad on the second one. Doctors

order - No more babies! Fine by me too - I still don't remember the first 3 months of her life.... where was I? Sleep - walking!

Oh I like the Vicoden! Keep me off the Magnesiun Sulfate stuff and other

I.V.'s - Joann - you poor thing! I was only in labor for 2 1/2 days - I can not

begin to imagine weeks of it!!!!!!! They had some other IV drip in me too -

3 all together, and every time my blood pressure went upto 170 / 110 -

they gave me the shot of something that made me vomit. I was so swollen

for days afterwards. I look at the photos now - and it isn't me!

Oh - I saw rows of green shamrocks all over the ceiling as the Doc. finally

arrived in the room after the birth - WAY druged-up and out!!

Be careful of the Vicoden. They gave me that after the birth of my last child and it paralyzed my bowel. I was swelling and hurting worse than when I was in labor. My DH drove faster taking back to the hospital than when I was in labor. I kept passing out on him. They said if they couldn't get things moving it was surgery. Thank you Lord for the largest enemia that I have ever seen:o

I had to take the vicoden ever 4 hours last night. Today I have already hit the Ibuprophen so I can work...then it's back home to the good stuff. I would think the pain will go away soon. Then if Jen is hospitialized at least I know she will be in good hands in case I can't be there. Whew...what timing.

Oh Mary Beth,

You've just got more on your plate than you should have. I hope you "enjoy" the vicodin. I never understood the attraction some of our med seeking patients have for it. All it did was make my broken arm stop hurting and make me constipated. However, because of where I work, I had 4 lovely months off with a cast and got more sewing done! If only I had been a quilter at the time.

You're in my prayers.

Beth

Mary Beth,

My daughter is currently pregnant with her second. She is also one of those with endless morning (24/7) sickness. My Jessica is due 7/29 but isnt gaining much wieght yet, she just barely looks pudgy at the waist. Some days she cant keep naything at all down and other days only in the late evening. I feel for you and your daughter...sending prayers and best wishes to you all.

Hi Mary Beth,

I'm SO sorry your daughter's pregnancy is so unbearable. I went through much the same thing with both my pregnancies. Not nearly to the extent that Jennifer is, but mine was complicated by gall bladder attacks. I had lost 5 lbs. before they even knew I was pregnant and I didn't have a spare lb. to lose.

I still remember the constant 24/7 nausea. ONE thing took the nausea away with the first pregnancy and it never came back. I went to a new Dr. in Vancouver, BC and he gave me a shot of Vitamin B12 (or it may have been B6), right into the vein in my arm. The nausea went away while the needle was still in my arm and it never came back. I can remember the feeling of relief like it was yesterday, and it's now 40 years!

When that baby girl was 2, and we had a 3 month old adopted baby boy, I was again pregnant! and none too happy about it. I knew before any pregnancy test because the 24/7 nausea had started again. My "miracle" Dr. had died and my new Dr. wouldn't give me the vitamin shot, but instead put me on Stilboestrol. Thankfully, he had misgivings about Thalidomide, as that was the "wonder" drug at the time.

The little white pills kept the nausea under control to a certain extent, but I still had a hard time cooking or eating. I kept begging for the Vitamin B shot, but never got it.

Just something you might mention to Jennifer's doctor. Vitamin B12 isn't going to hurt her, and if it helps her like it did me, she can go on and enjoy the rest of her pregnancy.

I do so hope you find an answer and that it's as simple as mine was.

Darlene,

Thank you for the insight, I am sure she has been taking B-12 because I seen it in the cabinet on Thursday when I was at her house. I think it is suppose to work, don't know why they don't just give her a shot.

Jennifer went to the doctor today. Since she was able to keep Ensure down yesterday, he wants to keep her on that, however, if she cannot tolerate the Ensure, and needs to call them this weekend they will admit her to the hospital. When I talked to her she was feeling some better, I'm sure just getting some nourishment helped. Hopefully she will keep the Ensure down and all will be well.

Thank you all for your thoughtfullness. I really appreciate all the help and advice - every little tid-bit is being considered. I read some of your posts to Jennifer and she said that you all are so nice...I must agree.

Mary Beth

Hi Mary Beth

I have been reading your story and checking in every day to see if things are improving. I cannot imajine how diffacult this must be and I do hope something is done to alleviate this horrid nausea.

I have been racking my brain to recall a tv show I saw bits of recently. They discussed an actual illness called Hyperemesis Gravidarum (Severe Nausea and Vomiting During Pregnancy) It sounded exactly like what your DD is going through. Maybe you should look into it. There are many links, I have included one here.

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/3800/3816.asp?index=12232

Archived