Photo of a hug

This is a quilt I made and quilted for a friend who has been diagnosed with Parkinsons..........her colors are terra cotta so I know the hand dyed fabric by Kathleen Starr would be perfect. I found a light batik for the background and then found this wonderful fabric for the border and backing. You can't really see the quilting in the border........

It is the first quilt that I did the McTavishing technique as an allover background fill.......

post--13461898149015_thumb.jpg

Laurie--Beautiful job on the piecing and wonderful quilting!!

Tell your friend to keep her attitude positive it is a great help with PK.

My father passed away in December 2006 after having PK for 25 years and I can honestly say that I never once saw him angry or upset about the way his life turned out. He was a farmer and had to give that up when it became to difficult to do the work. My mother took care of him at home until the very end.

Anyway--great job on the quilt.

What a wonderful quilt! I think you did a great job with the fabric selection and the piecing, and the quilting is spectacular. I'm sure your friend is in need of a hug after this diagnosis and your beautiful quilt is a very long lasting and very special hug for her. You are such a nice friend to do this.

....for all the kind words. I love it when a quilt has a specific purpose, in this case, a HUG.

I think the McTavishing technique (or my version of it) is a fairly simple technique to do.....it doesn't have to be perfect, it's easy to get around to different areas and it's hard to tell where you mess up! I do use my SR so I can stop to think where to go next......

The quilt pattern is from Spring Cleaning by Atkinson Designs. The quilt is called Antique Album and it's construction is very easy.

Terri - thank you for the words of encouragement....I will surely pass them on to my friend. I'm sorry for your loss.....

Just wondering if you SID around the colored squares, or just did a close McT? I have a large (90 x 130) Pumpkin Seed to do. She wants it to look 'old fashioned' with lots of definition. I had thought of using the circle and a meander in the centers, but if I dd some McT inside the 'Seeds', without SID, that might be faster. Even a small meander in the centers would be quicker than SID around each circle. They each measure about 4.5", and there are about a million of them!!:P:P:P

Opinions, please.

Grace - I actually did SID around the blocks and the border ~~~~~ But, I did it freehand as I was doing the background fill. I did use the channel locks while doing the ditch between the inner and outer borders.

In your case, you probably could do just a small meander instead of SID!

Thanks for the kind words, Renae!

Laurie - that is just beautiful!! You did a wonderful job - nice quilting too!!

Those busy kinds of wide borders are really good to play in and try some-

thing new that maybe you just wouldn't have the guts to do otherwise....

Real good boost to "just do it" and know that you can!!:D

What a wondeful friend you are! You give out REALLY good hugs!!

Thanks, Kathy and Cathey! The quilt is not really stiff at all! You would think so though, because of all the thread. After I put the label on and wash it, I hope it looks the same. I used Quilters Dream Blend for the batting.........

Archived