I'm all better now.....epilogue....

I applied a bit of fusible stabilizer to the back and fixed up my patch for the front. I only folded under the ends, not the sides. I removed the stitches from the piecing on both sides of the boo boo just enough to slip the patch under them. Then, I used an invisible applique stitch to sew them back down and to sew the ends of the patch.

Then I made a patch for the back and used the same stitch to sew it down.

Then I loaded it back on the frame and did my SID and quilting over the patch.

I think it worked out ok.

post--13461898415242_thumb.jpg

Wow. If I didn't already know there was a "boo boo" on this quilt before I sure wouldn't know there "used" to be one. Great job, Laurie!

No one would ever know what happened here. Shhhhh! I won't tell... It's our secret!

Thanks for sharing your technique. Hopefully I never have to use this one. LOL!

PS: I don't think you can add more than one photo attachment per post. Each photo attachment has to be a separate post.

PSS: And I gotta say WOWZA WOWZA BABY on the KNOCK OUT FABULOUS quilting job. This one is Gorgeous!

for the nice words! It is a customer quilt....... she works at my LQS and I had never quilted for her before. She gave me 5 quilts to do ~ this was the second after the banana/monkey quilt. No pressure! As I said before, she was awesome.

I hope you all have learned something from my big disaster! I know now that it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to advance the quilt with the needle down in it.

I sure learned something from all of you about good customer service and honesty. And humility. Good lessons.......

Laurie you did a great save on this! My heart just sank when I saw the original post and I was eager to see how the fix would work out since the fabrics have lots of pattern in them. You matched everything up perfectly! I've sone repairs on quilts for my sisters when there was a rip, or puppies using them to teethe and this isn't easy! Well done!

I haven't delivered the quilt to her yet........she is out of town until today. I did mention a discount when she came to see it and she kind of poo-poo'd it. However, I did discount the quilting charge by 50% on my final invoice. Because the quilt is SID all over (I felt it needed it) I spent a bit more time doing the quilting. I am not going to make very much on this.

I did learn alot - with the repair and the designs. Well worth the $$ I would have gotten.

Agree! Sometimes the time, skills and lessons we learn during the project are much more valuable than the $$$ we would have received after the project was complete. ;) I think this quilt is proof of that. I think you will quickly make up your lost time and lost revenue. Sometimes bad things happen to us for good reasons.

PS: Your customer hasn't picked up the quilt, yet, and who knows...she might renegotiate your final invoice and give you more than what you are asking for (you did a nice repair job!!) :) If I were your customer I would be impressed by the beautiful job overall; regardless of the "little problem" you overcame.

Hi Laurie - What a beautiful job you did on the repair. Not only is your quiling beauiful, but your character shines through. This new customer will remember this for years to come and probably be the best advertisement that you could "purchase". You did yourself proud.:)

Laurie;

EXCELLENT job!!!

Like Shana said if you didn't know what happened you would never know that it wasn't part of the original piecing.

As far as the discount goes think of the lost $ as a lesson learned and you passed with flying colors. Your quilting is awesome and your professionalism is top notch I am sure this customer will be a loyal one that will be sending you many referrals in the future so the discount is an investment in your future.

Archived