Just off the Machine...

okay here goes...this is a tough one so stick with me.

If you were to stitch a spine for a feathered border. Then starting on the left end of the spine, stitch your first "bump", then come back up to form another one, you will do a kind of "c" shape to form the top of your 2nd feather, stopping at your first feather. Then you have to follow the line of the top of the 2nd feather or bump-bump and start the top of the 3rd feather, stitching down to the spine. Then repeat just like you did the 2nd and 3rd feathers until you are to a stopping point.

See, I knew that was going to be as clear as muddy water. I tried to find a picture for you on the internet, but cannot...sorry.

Maybe someone else will chime in and give a better description.

Everyone probably knows this, but can someone explain what the bump bump method is

Karen McTavish demos it in the DVD that comes with one of her books...it's great because you can actually see her do it. I can't explain it, but I can do it now, thanks to the DVD!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

The Red Boot Quiltery

APQS Freedom SR

Originally posted by Lynne

Everyone probably knows this, but can someone explain what the bump bump method is

Karen McTavish demos it in the DVD that comes with one of her books...it's great because you can actually see her do it. I can't explain it, but I can do it now, thanks to the DVD!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

The Red Boot Quiltery

APQS Freedom SR

OK kiddos: I found a link to our very own Sherry Rogers Harrison's book "Formal Feathers" (I have this book and it is a great way to practice these feathers). Click on this link and you will see photos with a diagram and arrows indicating the sequence of moving the longarm to make the "bump bump" feathers.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2739231980028393189ZoglXO

If I drool over this quilt any more, I'm going to buy stock in Kleenex...

It is gorgeous... piecing and quilting.. Lots of ideas there and thank you for that side of it.

I'm curious about a couple things.. how large is one square.. like one section with all the orange & white that form a block, and how big are the colored blocks in the border?

I'm trying to "see"in my mind, how large/small your circle of feathers are and how wide the undulating border of feathers..

You dis GORGEOUS!!!!

RitaA

Archived