need ideas for these two

Hi Teresa, Boy two challenges!! On the Red and white one, how big is the oval in the middle of each block? That looks lke the perfect place for a holly leaf. You could also use the diagonal lines and put a rows of holly leaves following the oval and thru the 4patch area. The Bows could be put where the larger open corners of the block are. You could use a stencil or do it freehand. Just an idea. On the Garden Trellis quilt, I would look at Darlene Epps all over patterns for vines etc and see if there would be one that might get your creative juices flowing. I wish you the best on these 2 and hope that you post pictures of them when you are finished cause I know you will do a good job whatever you decide.;)

Teresa--great quilts for you to play with!!! And ya get paid to do it!! The trellis quilt is pretty and those borders do deserve something special. You will spoil that customer! The red and white is luscious. See if you can devise a continuous line holly and bows through the pattern--consistent looking but easier to do than dropping a pattern onto an area and needing to do starts and stops.

Maybe the melon shapes could be all holly--start at the upper left side in the point of a melon shape. Stitch down one side of the melon just outside the shape to be one side of the holly leaf. Hit the other end of the melon, stitch up the other side as a holly leaf and hit the beginning point. Now stitch the vein of the leaf back through the center. Now you are at the corner of a four patch. Make a loop in just that square and enter the next square just to the right and make another loop ending that one at the point of the next melon.

Now stitch another holly leaf motif up and to the right using the same moves as the first leaf. Loop, loop, holly leaf, loop, loop, leaf, etc.

You will make your way horizontally across the quilt from left to right in one line. Hope you can visualize this. Either come back from right to left on the new row or start again on the left side.

That will fill the center of the melon blocks, and maybe bows could be added where the large shapes meet. Maybe do a four loop bow with a loop in each quadrant. Then stitch again to do the ribbon effect and and ribbon ends if that works. You will have starts and stops with the bows, but it may be very pretty!

Good luck and, of course, post pics!!!

A beautiful pantograph for the ivy is called Ground Cover. I've had many customers love it.

The panto Holly and Ribbons is very fast and easy but striking by Nancy Read (got it at pattern station)

Jingle Bell Dance is pretty cool with holly, sprigs of pine and Jingle bells. It is Judy Lyon's. I get all my pantos at Pattern station.

Teresa,

The trellis quilt pattern is called Garden Twist. I have taught this class and have one of these quilts in my personal stash to quilt. Our guild has Helen Squire come and I had her look at it to see what she recommended. She recommended a free-motion flower in each inner square, sid in the trellis area and feathers in the outside border. For the fee you are getting to quilt this I would just do a free motion floral maybe with leaves on the trellis. Helen also recommended using a polyester batt so that the quilting would show on the busy floral fabric. I'm going to do swirly feathers in my outer border.

I would agree that holly on the other quilt is odd but you know the saying, "the customer is always right." I would just do a free motion holly where the 4 squares come together and then do a free motion ribbon diagonally through the 4 patch center and into the ovals. I hope that makes sense.

Heidi

Teresa,

Lisa Thiessen has a new panto out for Threadsongs called Trellis Vine. It has the daimond shape with leaves and curls on a vine. I'm not sure that I would go out and buy a new panto if I was only going to make $80 on the quilt, though. The trellis fabric is pretty busy but a viney leaf thru the green trellis would look good, I think.

Now the red and white is a different story. I think I would put in a square wreath of holly with berries in the corners in the big 4-patch. In the small 4-patch I would stitch cursive L so you stitch into each quadrant and then up to the melon and put in a holly leaf with the vein running up the middle thru to the 4-patch. Drawing on next post. Duh!

Teresa, I think that since you are only getting $80 for the lattice quit, you should only do an edge to edge quilting job. I'm afraid that if you add feathers and really doll it up your customer will expect that treatment for the same amount in the future...and she will probably tell all her friends about it and they too will expect more custom quilting for such little money. You do lovely work and I hate to see you give it away. And I agree with Linda, I don't think I would go out and spend money for a panto.

Always have to have money issues.....makes it a real bummer. But I'm in an area like you where the customer doesn't want to spend much on the quilting. They have a quilter who will do any size quilt for $50. Makes it tough. They never seem to see the difference in the quilting, only the monetary factor. Just my nickels worth.

It's definitely not edge to edge, but I can't figure out how to do an edge to edge and make it look like anything.

Ribbons in the lattice work, and a flowered wreath in the center of each square. Then freehand flowers and leaves in the border.

Is it too much for what I'm getting paid to do. I don't think it will take long, just lots of starts and stops.

post--13461898512081_thumb.jpg

Theresa,

I saw one of the Garden Twist quilts done at MQX and they had sid in the lattice with little grain lines stitched up into the lattice making it look like wood grain. It really made the quilt pop. They had simple cabbage roses in the squares and if I'm remembering correctly in the border.

I love the holly on the other quilt! Holly goes very quickly. I played with it on my first quilt. Berries slow you down though if you try to do them in 3's, at least they did me :o.

Can't wait to see the pics of the completed quilts.

Heidi

Yes - In the Begining is the fabric line and I have made a Garden Trellis

quilt also. Just did an E2E panto, some floral design, but the shop owner

liked it so much she kept it, instead of selling it! I agree that the feathers

would tend to get lost in the outer border, just do easy freehand. That is

what you are getting paid for. Like your custom design idea though - very

pretty!

I would really love to do the red & white with lots of SID, crosshatch in the

4-patch.... but if she wants holly leaves - so be it. I do like what you have

drawn out there, can you some how connect the 4 holly leaves into the 4

patch so that it continues through? less stops and starts....

oh - why not Green thread, if it is so Christmasy anyways......lol!

Judi, I thought green thread or Christmas variegated would be better, but she wants white.

I think I have found an all over ivy I can put on the lattice one, although it breaks my heart to do it. It's so pretty. The pictures don't even do it justice, and her piecing is so exact. I hope to really please her with these first two, as she showed me 18 more that she has pieced *(waiting to be quilted by somebody) when I went to her house to get these two. Let's hope I can impress her somehow.

Well Teresa, we are all praying for you to have inspiration and perfect stitches. I know whatever you do, it will be awesome. Your perserverance gives me the courage to keep on, knowing that at some point in the years past, your stitches weren't so perfect either. so keep on posting pictures and hear us all clapping for you.

Archived