First Custom Quilt - CQ

yeoldeforest

I'm so excited. This is my first custom quilt using compuquilter. I actually digitized the design myself. Ok, so it's not much but I was able to create a simple design and then got it to repeat 4 times.

Two separate designs but I used the same process for both designs.

My customer wanted a quilt with butterfly antennae in the blocks similar to a quilt she saw in a magazine. Butterflies are going on the outside border.

Not sure if I'm ready to tackle a meandering design...think I will stick to purchasing these designs from the experts.

post--13461898523354_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by smorris

Great job Joanne, I'm sure the customer will be very happy with your custom quilting.

Shana - how is your new workroom?

Sue in Australia

Hi Sue,

The new workroom is great! This weekend, I was moving more stuff from my current sewing room (e.g. bedroom) and into that space and Andre my DH said, "I just need a small room for my stuff, so you should just keep your quilting stuff up here because you need this room more than me." So, that means that Andre's "man cave" has now become my "quilting cave" LOL!! :P Yaay! (that also means I don't need to move the #%@&! thing again, too.) ;)

I agree with JoAnn, we need to see more of the CQ quilts for next year. Of course you can enter computerized quilting in all the categories if you want to do some free-hand work on them too. The Computer Guided category is for all who are using the CQ, Statler, or any other computer run machine for the entire quilting process.

I want to see LOTS of entries.......yes, they come to me! Perhaps I'll even learn to run my CQ well enough to enter that category too!

Wow! Thanks everyone for the feedback! I had fun digitizing, even at a remote level. I want to try to take one night a week just to play with digitizing designs.

I used to play with Autocad in a past life. JoAnn Hoffman sent me some great info on some software that I want to try a demo with...

So do tell me more about the shows and how I can enter...which shows are the best, links to info on the shows, etc.

I'll research the MQS show and would love to get on the band wagon!

Thanks, again!!

Hi Carol

Can you tell us more? Can we combine computer and handguided in the same quilt in ALL categories? Is there a percentage of each that we must abide by? What are the sizes for each category? I'd hate to make something and then find out it didn't qualify.

It would be great to see more CQ quilts in shows.

Thanks

Sue in Australia

JoAnne! I am soooo jealous! Can't wait to get my Ult I to do all the great stuff you all are doing!

I am going to "Quilting with machines" in Columbiana, OH on Oct. 19 & 20. Can't wait to take some of their great classes and meet other LAQ's...

Great Job! the quilt looks wonderful!

Bobbi

Hi Sue,

You can combine computer guided and freehand quilting in all categories EXCEPT the Computer Guided category and the Tools of the Trade category. In the Computer Guided category, all quilting must be done by the computer and for Tools of the Trade, the quilting must be done using either rulers, templates or devices such as the Hartley Fence, Circle Lord, or Design Center. While I know some people say that since the computer does the quilting, that there is no competition, BUT, since I am learning how to run the CQ, I can attest to the fact that design choice and placement can be a challenge. I am hoping to take digitizing classes this fall.

The categories were all announced in the Summer edition of On Track! magazine that all IMQA members receive. If you are not a member, you can join at www.imqa.org

If I can answer further questions just let me know.

Just a very minor question/comment regarding mixing freehand and computerized quilting into the same category.

What is the difference in mixing computerized/Freehand with Hartley Fence/Freehand, Circle Lord/Freehand and Handquilting/Freehand etc?

Believe me it takes a LOT of skill in mixing any of these methods to make them look great. Having had my CQ for over a year now I find out some new skill every time I use it to assist me with the quilting for another quilt!

Just as it takes skill in deciding on placement of the design, choice of design to suite any particular quilt, it also takes skill in the final execution of that design.

Archived