Just finished this Island Blue

Hi Jeanne,

Your quilt and the quilting are fabulous!

Question: I notice that each segment of feathers are separate? right? You place one large feather segment in place, complete it---and then do another segment in another direction up close to the last feather segment...or at least that is how it appears as a study the pictures you posted.

No spines, and no connection between each feather set.

I want to try this---I\'ve been here at the computer drawing on paper--thank you for sharing all the pictures of your beautiful quilt! :)

Wow, your feathering makes this quilt flow!!! And your choice of colors, beautiful!

I\'m with Sparkle, what technique did you use to make these gorgeous feathers - looks like there is NO backtracking - very smooth. This makes for a great edge to edge. Did you draw in your spines or just go for it???

Salivating......

Thank you so much!! This feather technique has gotten to be my favorite allover. I do it totally freehand. What I\'m embarrassed to admit is that it kinda evolved from watching one of Sharon Schambers little mini superfast clips. First I tried to do her feathers and got so frustrated that I didn\'t think I would ever be able to follow the lines back to the spines so perfectly like she does. So I started doing them this way and have really gotten to where I\'m kinda happy with them this way. Plus hers are more planned out, mine are totally random.

I tried to show with my paint program how I did it. I start at the tip of the feather where the arrow marks are. Stitch the spine however you want it to go. When you get it the length you want, start making the feathers from the bottom up. When you get to the top, outline the feathers you just made. That takes you to the bottom again where you start making the feathers on the other side from the bottom up. When you reach the top, outline that side you just made. That takes you to the bottom of your feather. From there I decide where I want the next spine to go and what shape I want it and start all over again. I try to remember to leave enough room between the different groups of feathers for the outlines, though I don\'t always do a great job at that.

This type of feather is very forgiving, which is what I need. Plus it\'s fun to do. Sharon Schamber would probably faint if she saw mine and hear that these were my version of hers.

The exciting thing about these is that Sara Nephew, who has written 18 books, and is currently finishing up her 19th, asked me to quilt these feathers on one of the quilts that will be in this next book that comes out in May, 2008. I can\'t show the pictures yet, but hopefully, in the next few months I\'ll be able to.

Thanks again, everyone. This is the best place to come to!!

post--13461898786548_thumb.jpg

Jeanne, Great feathers!!! I was trying to follow your directions and the picture. Do you work across your quilt right to left? It seems you end up at the bottom of the feather and decide where to go from there. I want to learn feathers and am trying every technique I see. Yours are wonderful!

Archived