Longarm Embroidery Anyone?

I\'m a dork. I posted the explaination and the pics didn\'t post. Then I posted the pics, but the explaination went somewhere else. Anyway, I went to a Ricky Tim\'s seminar this summer and also met Alex Anderson and Libby Lehman. This is Libbys technique, only I used my millie instead of a sewing machine.

This was a shop quilt that will hang to advertise a BOM class and my quilting. I\'ve been wanting to try this and I finally got an opportunity.

You really can do embroidery on the longarm!

I did this by loading the top only, face down. I had pearl 8 cotton floss in the bobbin, and then just freehanded some leaves and small flowers in the sashing.

The embroidery was done BEFORE sandwiching the quilt. I loved how it came out!

Hopefully this photo will come out...

Kathy, your quilting is a mind blower! Just a question--how long did this tremendous amount of quilting take? Can you charge enough to make it worth your time? Do you mind sharing what you charge for this amount of detail? When I look online for pricing, so that I can set my rates to keep them within the market, I still find most people charge about .03/inch for custom. That would put most work like this way below minimum wage.

I\'m sorry Merry Jo, I didn\'t mean to jump in on your glory. Your quilt is beautiful too!

I just was so excited to share the fact that embroidery with floss can be done on the longarm.

To all who asked, it was actually my own quilt. I think one would have to pay big bucks for the time spent on that one. I normally charge .03 for custom, but for that kind of quilting I would charge .035 per inch and probably an additional .030 per inch for the embroidery. It actually didn\'t take that long to do the embroidery. Done by hand would\'ve taken me a year or so! This took about 3-4 hours (I\'m sorta slow anyways) and it was a large lap size-ish quilt. It won a Quilting Award ribbon and a 3rd place ribbon in Sulpher Spring, TX!!! Very, very exciting! Thank you all!

Archived