Sticker Shock

I\'ll share 2 stories. Before I quilted I did a lot of cross stitch. For my daughter\'s best friend\'s big birthday bash (she had gone through a lot), I designed a cross stitch pattern specifically for "her favorite things". It was a hit. Adults, most of whom are monied, came up to me and told me that they\'d give me $25 if I\'d do one for them. I politely declined all offers. One woman in particular was SO obnoxious about it (she knew I had declined others, I\'m guessing she told them that she\'d "get me to do it"), I told her I\'d give her $50 if she\'d turn around, walk away, and never talk to me again.

Second: I saw a quilt at my local quilt store that I just loved. It was a sample for their kits, which they were out of, made in gorgeous teal, purple, pink, and yellow batiks, both pieced and appliqued blocks. So I bought the pattern and started collecting the same batiks at various stores. About 6 months later I was back at the store and the quilt was on a bottom of a pile in a corner near the floor, full size, with a price of $200. I grabbed it, and when I went to pay for it, the gal that had done the piecing was shocked at the price. She told me the quilting alone had cost the store that much. It had been done by the best quilter in the area...the quilting was exquisite. Thankfully the price tag described the quilt, otherwise she may have thought I changed tags...By that time I had gathered all the original fabrics and ended up making DD a wallhanging to put over her bed that matched in fabric only. She now has this at college, and I have gotten calls from her friends\' moms about whether I could make them a quilt like that...Girls have taken their moms to DD\'s room just to see the quilt. So I guess once in a while there are bargains!

Caron, that is tooooo funny.

By the way all of us should always say: For you it is $x regular price - for family it is DOUBLE! ha!

(I guess you could ask them how much they would do it for - or what do they think it would cost them - and then still politely turn them down.)

I too have put a lot of time into making quilts and I end up giving them away. They are not perfect and the ladies at the Quilt Crafters of Northeastern Pennsylvania let me know it. I joined last year and was asked to put some quilts in their show. I brought some with me and thought they would be put on display but when I got to the show my quilts were folded up on a table out of view. At the next meeting one of the ladies got up and said they want the right to reject any quilts that are not up to their standards. I felt sick. Needless to say I will no longer be a member of that group.

I donated one of my quilts to Stonybrook Hospitals Cure for Cancer raffle and the lady that won it was a fifteen year survivor. That made me feel much better. I also made a pillow with the pink ribbon on it to go with the quilt.

Marion,

I sure think that stinks! I\'m glad you are no longer part of that group; they don\'t sound like very nice people.

Donating a quilt to such a worthy cause is certainly a reflection on your good character. I\'m glad it made you feel good and I\'m sure the winner felt very happy with her new quilt.

Sandy

I used to do a lot of cross-stitch, which people NEVER appreciated enough for the hours I sunk into them. My sister once handed me an ugly cross-stitch kit for a light switch plate (18 count and lots of details and thread switches) and told me to make it for her. Note - told, not asked. I did, but never again. It took about as long to do that switch plate as to make a lap quilt. And she didn\'t even thank me when I gave it to her.

The people at my church were having a bazaar with handcrafted items and asked me to make some quilts. I brought in a cute simple pattern for crib quilts to ask what they thought - they loved it and thought they could get $12, maybe $15 dollars for them! Wow! I told them the materials alone, using the very cheapest fabric I could possibly find, would run at least $10 and take at least 3-4 hours of my time, using the quickest techniques (big squares for blocks, fold over binding, etc). They looked very confused, and said, well maybe someone would pay $18, but this was a poor neighborhood... I ended up making 3 very simple crib/lap quilts, but with lovely freehand quilting, priced them at $20, and none of them sold. The people that came seemed to only be there for the garage sale items. Needless to say, I won\'t be making any for next year\'s bazaar....

I\'ll stick with commission quilts. At least then you know you\'re getting paid for your work...

Julia

People in our country are spoiled by cheap-cheap-cheap imported products. The price is cheap, the material is cheap and most of all, the labor is cheap. Nothing lasts very long, but we have been conditioned to buy the newest and the latest style, so most people do not care if things need replacing quickly.

The last time I had a potential customer (non-quilter) stunned by a price quote I told her wistfully that my price could come down if only I lived in China. But since I lived here the price would have to stand. She, of course, didn\'t get it. I love the comment on another post about things not being "homemade" but rather "exquisitely hand-crafted"!! Perfect!

I too have had one of these moments. My DH and Boys were going fishing with my dad, brother and BIL for the evening. So my sister decided to invite herself to my house with her daughter. Got over that quick since my DD adores her cousin who is 10 years older. Anyway when she got there she was looking at my placemats on my table and asked if I made them. No, I said my MIL bought them at a dollar store for a $1.00. She wanted to know if I could make her some placemats and a table runner. I said ok. I had made her a table runner years ago (for B-day) that she loved, but now she was redoing her kitchen and the colors wouldn\'t match. So we decided to make that one again and I drew up a placemat to match. Of course it needed to be wider and shorter. We went to town and I guessed on how much fabric it would take, which she bought. We get back to my house and while I sit and cut and sew she watched tv and read magazines and never once offered to help do anything. By the end of the evening I am pulling my hair out because the placemat won\'t work out right, it was on angle and I wasn\'t thinking clearly. She\'s laughing at me because I am spazzing. Long story short I spent alot of time on them (plus another 30+ mile trip to get more fabric that I paid for) and got the tablerunner and 6 placemats done. Rushing to get them done in time for a family reunion, so I could deliver them. She never paid me for the fabric which she knew I had to go get and never said thank you or asked if she could pay me for them. I did make another set for my aunt who saw them. Which I charge $150. Still think I should have gotten more for. My sister knew I was making them for my aunt, and getting paid. I made a point of letting her know, by calling and double checking measurements with hers. I honestly lost the other pattern I was going off of.

Made a t-shirt quilt for my brother and sent it to him in AZ. It was 81 x 97. I only charged him $250.00 for this quilt. I bought the fabric, batting, thread and did it all. He keeps saying he will send me some money soon. We will see. I am afraid to do the one for my other brother. It\'s a repair. Until he supplies the material I am not touching it. And he knows it (or at least his wife does). Don\'t mind doing stuff for family when I don\'t have other business. But when I have to take money out of my pocket for it when they ask me to I get a little upset.

Thanks for letting me vent. Been a long day and I needed that. Sorry so long.

Angela

With all the horror stories, I thought you might like to see a real love story. The week before Christmas last year, my daughter asked if I could repair her new husband\'s quilt as it was from his grandmother who had died and the dog had got hold of it and tore several holes in it. I told her the gifts I was making her would have to not get done and she said fine. I had to take out several flying geese and replace them with fabric close in color but not the same. On Christmas day, he opened the quilt and was stunned I made him a quilt like his grandma\'s, then stopped breathing as he discovered it was his grandma\'s. Tears came to his eyes and he hugged me later, telling me it was the best gift he\'d received. Gotta love that boy!

Oh yes! The world is full of ALL kinds of people!! Thanks for sharing the

thoughts and stories one and all..... Angela - I hope today was better for

you!

This thread did remind me that I need to finish-up a counted cross-stitch

Christmas Stocking for my little girl. For my older daughter, I had hers done

by her 4th Christmas.... this one is working on 7..... on well! It is all made

with love! Just need to do the ribbon embroidery and sew into a stocking

shape. Maybe this year yet is possible! I will have to find it and see!!;)

Judi - Today was better, thanks!! Hope that you are able to get your cross stitch done for your daughter. I have been telling my daughter and myself that I will make her a quilt for her big girl bed. She is now 5 and I still haven\'t narrowed down a pattern. Someday, I suppose it will happen.

Where is Garden City? I have never heard of it.

Angela

It is about 13 miles Southwest from Mankato. We have 3 quilts shops in

Mankato - if you are every there. Only 1 is closed on Sundays. We live in

a very tiny town, no population # listed on the sign..... We have a Post

Office (they keep talking about closing) and a Pop Machine. Used to have

a Pay phone but they took that out when they re-did the main road. :)

i feel a little batter after reading all these stories. i don\'t do commisions anymore, but the one i did taught me alot. (like i\'m never doing another :) )

when people ask me to make them a quilt i just smile real big and tell them:

"it would be cheaper for you if i taught you how to do it"

the usual answer is something like: " but i don\'t have the time"

my reply to that: "neither do i"

i refer peope to look on ebay for a quilt top they like, and i\'d be more than willing to quilt it, if it can be...

what\'s a girl to do?? :)

Judi- the town I live in only has a population of 735. Really small. And there is another LA 3 miles from me. The nicest lady you could meet. And another one in the next town that is smaller yet. Never met her, but she advertises every week in the paper. I love small town living. An hour in most directions to buy fabric. I was in Mankato about 18 years ago when I was a teenager.

Angela

Angela - Well at least you know where it is!! There are a bunch of other

LA\'s around this area. Most of us belong to our quilt guild, which has just

over 100 members now, and we are talking about getting together to

met in our own little group. I think that would be great to share ideas and

be able to go over problems one-on-one. I have known most of these

ladies for a long time, and they are all great fun to talk with, I know I am

lucky in that;)!!

p.s. Had to get out the map to find Browerville, I like small towns too!

Sandra D,

Why do you think she has a half million dollar home and a Mercedes?

We do have to be specific, speak up and say how much any thing is going to cost! We must NOT forget! I can see an 80 year old woman not understanding the costs of today, because my mom is in her 80s but younger people do it too.

Lindy

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/558465795KqxyqV

Gals, These are really treasures worth remembering when sometime in our lives they happen to you. At least you have an idea how to respond after reading the experiences of others.

I am an interior designer as well as a quilter and seamstress. A while back I did some design and purchasing work for a "friend". Her new husband had this sofa in his apartment that he just loved and asked me to just reupholster it. It was really cheap covered in orange and black fack fur stripe! Looked likea big cat that had seen better days, like live ones! Anyway it was practically rebuilt and looked great in coppery brown ultrasuede.

2 yrs later after his offices had been done by a well known, high priced designer, he had that guy come and do the rest of the house so they could brag to their friends. He was a cardiovascular surgeon.

Would you believe she called and asked me to do the loser level for her daughter\'s entertainment area (DD was all of 15) and had the nerve to say, "I knew you wouldn\'t charge as much as Mr. X and our friends won\'t be going down there anyway! Talk about insulting! I don\'t speak to her anymore and their divorced. He married his nurse!

What goes around comes around. :)

Bobbi,

Sounds like we might be about the same age. My eldest son is 42 also. I live in Bath, OH! Maybe we should meet up after the snow melts. Right now we have 8-9". How about you.

Yeah, Shana, I know you\'ve got that beat. Sure liked all the fun quilting you did esp. the sparkley on the cheddar orange house and also the little lamb. She even looks fuzzy!

Marlette

"Simple is boring, challenging routine, impossible just takes a little longer"

Love reading these posts. Yes, most people want a lot for very little. But, there are also those who are uneducated aboutthe cost of your machine, cost of products and all of the time and skill you need to make their quilts look wonderful. Have a friend who went to a very nice craft show in this area. She saw table runners and the young lady wanted $45 and $50 each for them. My friend thought that was way too expensive. So we had a little discussion about cost of fabric, time involved in making and then time involved in setting up booth, booth rental and extra costs. Offered to help her make a ta ble runner. She took me up on offer and after much work table runner finally finished. Changed her whole perspective. She now says, "Really, $80 would not be too much for that table runner and I will never, never, make another one." "Guess I never thought about what it takes to do these things." Well, now if we could just educate the rest of the world. Then there are the people who just want your time and already realize how much work it is. I don\'t have a lot of patience with those people. It is probably a good thing I am not in business as I would not be nearly as gracious as you (ones in business) are. Some people are so unappreciative.

Merry Christmas!!!

Marilyn

I and 2 other ladies worked at my church in Texas. We all got fired by the priest on the same day. It was not pretty. Anyway, I made each of them a quilt...we had worked together a long time. They weren\'t anything elaborate, but they were made with tears and love and it was a healing process for me.

Well, one of them treasured the quilt; putting in a special place, using it when she needed a hug, etc. The other let her dogs drag it around the house, sleep on it, chew on it, drag it outside. I wouldn\'t have cared so much (yeah, right) but she didn\'t even take it away from them when I went to visit. Needless to say, she will NEVER get anything made from me again!!

Live and learn; no good deed goes unpunished and all the rest!

Merry Christmas to everyone. Blessings of this special season to you all.

Archived