Finally done! Fairy Frost raffle quilt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for the wonderful words of encouragement!! I was never so glad to be done with a quilt as I was with this one. l still love the fabrics and colors, etc, but never dreamed it would take so long to complete!

I had collected fabrics of my own for my own quilt like this but with smaller stars, but now I don\'t think I\'ll be doing it anytime soon!

I also didn\'t do all of the piecing. I made packets for guild members for paper piecing the triangles (about 25 packets) with enough stuff to do 8 parts of a 12 inch triangle. Then realized that I needed over twice that many. (Can we say senior moment?) I did most of the rest, with help from a few wonderful ladies, two in particular: Ellen F. and Barb M.! We trimmed the triangles and sewed them into blocks. Then I put them together and did the borders and quilting.

Shana:

Quilting the stars, alone, took around 11 to 12 hours. I did SID around each one, then, started making the arcs from the point I stopped the SID. I would quilt to the center of the star, move the ruler and quilt back out, then go back over that line of quilting to the center, then move the arc and repeated around the star. Then knotted and buried the ends. There are a total of around 84 stars, counting parts together that make a whole. They were taking me 10 minutes apiece, but I got that time down to around 8 minutes apiece.

Terri, Heidi, Linda: I used a Curved Crosshatch from Rob\'s Rulers to make the arcs in the stars. I picked it up at their booth at MQS last year. By that I mean I bought it, not just walked off with it!!!

What helps the stars is the fabric. It has a bit of a sheen to it. It\'s called Fairy Frost by Michael Miller fabrics. I want to get some more colors of it. I\'ve found it online, but haven\'t bought more yet.

Bobbi and Jeannette:

If you are seriously wanting some tickets, would you email me and I\'ll get the info for you?

Colleen:

I did the feathers totally at random, no pattern, just freehand.

Thanks again for the wonderful comments. I\'m really hard on myself, wanting perfection in my work (ask Mary Beth!) and I usually just focus on what I\'m not happy with. Posting this quilt here really helps me to pull back and see it differently. Thanks for more than you know!!!!

OK...I want tickets too...seriously. I just love it. It will appeal to so, so many different tastes. I\'ve made a Hunter Star, they are time consuming. It was in fall colors and I just quilted a leaf/acorn pattern, which I loved, but your quilting really took the quilt a several notches higher still.

Anita

(plubota@yahoo.com if you want to sell some tickets :D)

I am very new at this and a question pops to my head on the stabilizing of this kind of quilt. Is the stitch-in-the-ditch only done to the borders and the stars and in what order do you do this ie. all the stars first on the entire quilt before the freehand work. I really appreciate this kind of chat and all the experience there is to draw from, from people who love to share. Someday, maybe I to could reach the level that some of you awesome quilters are at!

Happy Sewing - Janice

Jeanne - fabulous in every way. It sure pays to take your time and do a terrific job in addition to getting lots of support from guild members and using quality fabrics. Do you have any idea of the appraisal on this? What goal do the folks have in raising money?

Just stitched your blue and yellow quilt block into my birthday block quilt. Thank you again for your wonderful piecing. I ended up with 34 blocks and am adding a few other printed things so it should be about 70" square.

Vicki

Jeanne - Beautiful!!! I happen to have a bunch of Fairy frost

fabrics - and have been collecting purples as well. I am going to

HAVE to make one of these! ;) Just noticed the cool new faces

off to the side..... but seriously - I am adding this photo to my

"to do" list! Love how you quilted it too!!!!:cool:

Archived