Cross stitch quilt

qwltnldy

I have searched and have not found any conversation on quilting a cross stitched quilt. I was given an old cross stitched top (1974) . The quilt pattern is pre-marked with crosshatch throughout, broken up only by "border" lines around the "blocks". The "border lines" have a very simple feather pattern running down both sides. The crosshatch goes right through all the stitching. My question here is this: Do I sew over the cross stitching or do I outline it instead? I\'m a little afraid of what will happen when the needle penetrates the cross stitch threads. Has anyone else tried this before and what were your results? I\'m going to try to post a picture.

post--13461899478595_thumb.jpg

I\'ve stitched over cross stitched quilts. I had no problem. However, I did use a "light colored" thread, as to NOT interfere with the color of the cross-stitching. It worked beautifully!

I dont have a picture, which i\'d of taken one at that time.

I do know the person who has it, maybe I can get a pic of it soon.

Aaaah, there\'s your picture! I\'d use white thread. You\'ll be just fine!

I did a cross-stitch quilt and just outlined the 12" blocks - I didn\'t sew in the cross-stitch. The quilt has been hanging for years and it\'s fine.

I also lined the cross-stitch with thin matching color fabric so that the batting wouldn\'t poke through the holes in the cross-stitch fabric.

Good luck!

Julia

I think I will check with the customer as to how much they want to spend. I agree, it would be lovely outlined and I saw one online that was done that way and it was gorgeous (there was a WHOLE LOT more than just cross hatching, tho) but it is a lot of work. Decisions decisions!

We have talked about this many times before...but I know how hard it is to search through the many previous posts...We really don\'t mind talking about things over and over, kind of refreshens the topic in our brains :)

I have quilting a few cross stitched/embroidered blocks quilts. I always match the thread to the background fabric - so far that as always been white - and I always do a pantograph so I go right over the stitching. Now, one woman wanted me to stitch on the prestamped lines, and it looked fine, but not really my preference. I have one that I started 3 years ago for my mom, and I found out that she is one of those customers who comes back with more blocks to add :) After I started stitching on the preprined lines, I didn\'t like it a bit, then she gave me 2 blocks that she forgot to give me in the beginning...then the next time we were together she gave me another block. My plan is to tear out the quilting that I have already done, fix the top, add to the backing....and quilt the darned thing with a panto.

Mary Beth,

Or......you could unload the top and add those additional blocks to the back! Either fuse or applique to the backer in a pleasing arrangement in the un-quilted part and reload to quilt. Then you wouldn\'t need to take apart and add more backer. Just a time-saving thought! It sounds like a fun project!

I did a crossed stitched quilt and I did go through some of the cross stitching. It didn\'t take away at all, but it does press it down a little. The one I did had to have something in the middle. It was also pre marked, but I didn\'t like it so I did my own thing. It\'s on my webshots if your interested.

Joanne, doing "your thing" on that cross-stitched top is lovely. How did you mark you large circles around the center medalion? How did you stop & start the longarm on such a large space? Obviously, there wasn\'t room for the entire circle on the bed of the machine at one time. Please, share you secrets!

Thanks,

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

Pat, Thank you,

I pre-marked the whole quilt prior to quilting. Nice to do, but I had to do the soak and block for her. It was worth it for me. I used Renae\'s ray\'s to mark and her template to stitch it as much as I could. I quilted as far as I could go and leave a long thread, roll and put my needle back in a few stitches over where I left off. I did do some tying off when I had to. Also, white on white hides very well.

Robin,

Pretty quilt! I\'ve done a few. I did sew across the cross-stitching, but tried to keep it to a minimum. Embroidery I don\'t quilt over. I out-line unless it is a really big area and quilting makes it poof. I just finished a really cute one with hand embroidered tea pots. I found lines I could quilt between here and there with didn\'t show, but got rid of any poof!

TrudysMomsTeaPots1.jpg[/img]

TrudysMomsTeaPots2.jpg[/img]

[/img]

Well, I am in the thick middle of quilting this and while it is time consuming, it is looking nice. I hope to be finished by Friday or so and as soon as I am, I\'ll try to post a picture that will do it justice. If not, I will definitely be putting it on the webshots page as soon as it is completely done. I will be binding and washing it, too and speaking of which, it has quite a bit of yellowing on one of the panels. I have read about using salt when washing to get yellowing out, but I\'d like to hear any wisdom you all have.

cute teapots, Merry Jo!

Robin and all, Had to put my two cents in on this one. I did a cross stitch quilt some

years back. (no pics sorry). I did all the cross hatchine and outlined the flowers.

It looked good when finished. I then washed as per instructions to remove the preprinted lines and they did not come out. Very sad, and a bad experience. Since then I have shyed away from them.

Ginny

Thanks, Joanne, for your explanation. I think I understand what you did, but it\'s beyond my skill level at this point...something to work toward, as it can obviously be done & done well! You done good & thank you for sharing the photos of that quilt.

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

Joanne, The quilt is gorgeous! I didn\'t think I\'d like seeing stitching over the cross stitching but it\'s really nice.

Thanks for the photos.

MeriJo, Love the tea pots! Is that a commercial pattern? I\'d like to make one of those for my kitchen. DH and I are tea drinkers and it would be perfect!

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone, I know this is an old post but, I was looking for some direction regarding X-Stitch quilts and found this one but, it doesn't answer my question - I am doing a X-Stitch quilt for a customer. The blocks are originally 25 yrs old. Does anyone have any suggestions, for my customer, on getting out the pre-printed quilting lines? I am really hating this quilt and have procrastinated on quilting it because she wanted me to go over the lines though I told her several times it will not be exact. I've done them with pantographs before and they turned out great. I will never accept another quilt that they want me to follow the lines. And, since the backing is a dark color and the thread is almost white, oh, don't like the back either. A colored thread would have been so much better when following the lines. Oh, if the preprinted lines don't come out, it is just so ugly and it would be a UFO in my chest - in my personal opinon. Thanks.

Originally posted by MarieBrewer

Stitchinsally, send me an email and I will forward the "recipe" I got from the Crafty Unicorn for getting rid of blue dots on cross stitch. It's too long to retype.

Marie can I have it also....I have several that are that old and THEY have never come out...maybe this will be the solution. I was told that anything later than late 50's to some mid 60's stuff, wouldn't come out and from Mid 60's to mid 70's would wash out with time and now they are like our marking pens, you touch water to them and they are gone.... my email is drycreekqlts@msn.com

Thanks...

Archived