Can you clean too much?

Depending on how big the quilt is I clean between each quilt...(WD-40 and follow up with a oil bath) I don\'t always change needles between each quilt, but cleaning yes. NOW also if I am doing lap or crib quilts, I get a bit lazy and clean between every other one...

Also if I have a thread that puts out a bunch of lint, I clean maybe once or twice while quilting.

I really don\'t think you can clean to much....just not often enough.;)

I don\'t think you could clean too much. Every time I clean I think I am missing something...like those little fuzz crud things that hide behide the bobbin case or something. I use air to blow everything out; use WD-40 on the bobbin area; oil wicks and bobbin area; clean the rails and wheels to get the black ick off. Then dust the tabel and the machine head. Humm...wish the rest of my house was as clean as my Millie :D

I think I clean pretty good but after a recent "more thorough" cleaning, I realized I wasn\'t doing such a great job after all! :o The other day, I decided to slide the needle plate off to the side so I could get the thread dust and goo that had accumulated underneath the bottom side of the plate, and while I had the plate off to the side, I could see the top of the bobbin. A different view from the top! So, I hit the bobbin area with some air and this giant knarly chunk of black gunk came flying off from behind the bobbin area. Ewww! So, I got the WD-40 and sprayed down through the needle plate area inside real good as the bobbin area was spinning to get whatever black gunk remained. From now on, I think I\'ll make a habit of moving the needle plate over and cleaning from that angle more often! :o

I found the same gnarly chunk of gunk behind my bobbin area. What led me to it was the fact that my thread cutter got stuck on the accumulated lint and the motor kept going because the thread cutter couldn\'t get back to where it started from!. So I unplugged and removed both plates and cleaned it all up.

My thought jumped right to house cleaning, and after looking at the dog hair, I know that it\'s time to clean. Much more fun to clean my girl though. I use my husband\'s air compressor to blow out the bobbin area, and it\'s just gross what can come out of there! Also, I had been dipping a toothbrush in rubbing alcohol to clean my wheels, but then took a rag and alcohol to them. Heavens! It was bad! I\'ll be doing that more often as well.

Now, back to the housecleaning. Can\'t we just have dog hair on everything become the latest craze?

Beth

When doing my major cleaning job I was getting every nook and cranny and noticed that on the lower SR wheel, a lint glob was on the shaft part. So I blasted it with air and major dust buger flew out. Then I noticed that my stiches were perfect again. I had been wondering what was goin on with my SR because it seemed that it didn\'t matter what I set it on it looked the same, now that the dust is cleared it seems to be doing the right thing.

isn\'t it funny what a little lint can do to our machines. I take the needle plate cover off ocassionally and get in there and clean too...don\'t ever do it with a rag, while the machine is running...ask me how I know :mad:

Dog hair should be like dust on our funriture...a protective covering to keep things from getting scratched up;)

Today I will be cleaning my machine....she has been working hard on several batik quilts....fluff and fuzz are everywhere!!!

As for dog hair ~ it lives in my house too ;)

While at the kitchen store the other day, I spotted a pair of microfiber slippers that you put on your feet to dust mop the floors. Now these were waaaaayyyy coooll :cool: :cool: :cool:

I didn\'t get them but wish I had..... I remember thinking "just something else covered in dog hair"!!! Here\'s a link to them:

http://tinyurl.com/2lzmh7

It\'ll be the new rage among pet owners!!!

Laurie...WAY COOL....except that would mean I would have to do the wall edges...and move furniture as well. Man that looks like way to much work for me.;)

I will be so glad when Sara stops shedding...I have a great new brush for her, and its made this year way easier than the past 2.....Akita\'s have the great pleasure of "Blowing Coat" 3 times a year....Gotta love \'em.

For those who don\'t know about this great brush here is a link

http://www.furminator.com/

click on the deShedding tool button.

Can you clean too much? Well, maybe. Lets assume you have cleaned everything there is to clean and you walk away and then you clean it again because a vicious cycle of cleaning clean things has become an irresistible compulsion that cannot be ignored. In this case, I’d say that “cleaning to much” has occurred.

http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2172860&cp=2174940.2501652&parentPage=family

I would like to recommend a roomba vacuum to help in the pet hair battle. The amount of pet hair my rumba picks up, is well, shocking. I need to order a new battery for my rumba, and am missing my little guy\'s services. The hopper where the link collects will be crammed full. Yes, it really does vacuum WITHOUT you moving it. I am not sure if it does as good, or better than if I were to push a vacuum around, but it sure does pick up dirt, and PET HAIR, and it does the work much more often than I care to. Also, he doesn’t grumble as much as I do:)

Patti

I can safely say...I will never have the "cleaning too much" syndrome! Ask my DH!! We just talked about what seems to be important to me and him...we are in opposite corners where that is concerned. Don\'t get me wrong, I love a clean, clean, house. It is just not a priority. He thinks the preacher is going to drop by - then what do we do....I say, go to church every Sunday and he won\'t have a reason to drop by!!;)

• 7 months later...

I just confirm with my DH that I'm a pathetic when it comes to housework if he brings it up. The house is picked up, presentable, but dusty dusty dusty and the windows should have been washed before the cold weather set in. Oh well. I've been thinking a leaf blower might help with all that dust.....

Can someone give me a "blow by blow" list of where (and how) and where not to apply WD-40 on my machine. Is it more like a lubricant to keep the parts running smoothly? Or is that what the oil is for? (sign me - technically challenged)

I do oil, dust and use a paint brush in the bobbin area for lint, but not much else.

WD - 40 is just for cleaning - must be totally wiped away. I only use it in the bobbin area (and of course squeaky doors) and then wipe completely followed by a big blast with the air compressor. After I think all the WD-40 is gone, then I oil. Actually, occasionally I will clean the rails with WD-40 followed by the alcohol.

Glad this thread was brought to the top - love the idea of the toothbrush for the wheels. So far have saturated a cloth with alcohol and stuffed it into the wheel(s) as I moved the carriage back and forth getting the stuff out - the toothbrush sounds better!! thanks:D

Originally posted by Hawaii

Can someone give me a "blow by blow" list of where (and how) and where not to apply WD-40 on my machine. Is it more like a lubricant to keep the parts running smoothly? Or is that what the oil is for? (sign me - technically challenged)

I do oil, dust and use a paint brush in the bobbin area for lint, but not much else.

Hi Barbara,

Well I can give you my $.02 but I am sure others can add to it. I use the WD40 in my bobbin area only. The Blow by Blow steps I do is: 1) remove thread from needle (or remove needle if I am going to change it out to a new needle); 2) remove the bobbin case; 3)brush out excess lint with a small brush; 4) using the air compressor to blow out the bobbin area for at least a minute all around. I even turn on the machine and blow out and I see more chunks of fuzz fly out; 5) then while holding a rag or paper towel underneath, I turn on the machine going in slow speed, I spray a good dose of WD 40 all around the moving area of the bobbin assy and let it slowly spin for about 20 seconds and then spray another good dose for good measure. Then I turn up the machine speed (keeping fingers and rag away from moving parts! and let it spin out excess. 6) Turn off machine and gently wipe out the inside area. I try not to rub too much inside the bobbin basket because I don't want damage anything there. 7) Put a couple of drops of oil in the area where the hook rubs the metal part of the bobbin assy and use the hand crank several times to distribute the oil and then dab excess underneath that may have gathered underneath. Before I make any stitches I run the machine with a scrap fabric to get any excess oil off the needle and/or bobbin. WD40 is a cleaner that helps remove gunk, buildup on the metal and plastic parts. It's a good idea to use the WD40 to clean the metal and moving parts and then oil afterward. WD 40 will not hurt the machine. It will help keep it clean and running smooth. I usually take a qtip with rubbing alcohol and run it along where the wheels are on the frame. I also take rubbing alcohol with a piece of scrap batting and wipe down the rails. I usually take a pin or something like my dentalhook to yank out any small pieces of threads that may have wrapped around the wheel area. I've found them hiding there usually caked with oil. I use windex to wipe down the plastic overlay and to shine up the the machine head. That's pretty much it. Sometimes I will rub in a tiny bit of car wax on the rails but not regularly. That's all I do.

If you'll hold a big pan, or trash can under the hook assembly, you can be a little more liberal with the WD-40, spraying from above while the machine is running, then blowing air while the machine is running. You'll clean virtually every nook and cranny without making a huge mess on the floor underneath.

mrmargie

I push my "Miss Molly" back along her carriage rails and drape an old singlet/towel across the rails underneath her to catch all the drips and excess spin off. Then WD40 and oil without any landing on the floor. Even blow out the WD40 with the compressor before oiling.

I only ever wipe inside when it is switched off.

Lyn

Archived