Hello something that I never take the time to do is putting on quilt labels and I don\'t know why I dread this step...I guess I never know the best techniques for it...Would you ladies/Men be willing to share some of you tips...and pics would be great...Do you put it on after you have quilted or before???

Good morning,

I put a label on nearly all of my quilts. I think the only ones that don\'t get one are the ones that I do for charity. I have an embroidery machine, and use that to include the name of the quilt, the receipient, who made it, and the location and date. I.e. I recently made one and the label said "Ahoy, Matey! Made by Pat Turner and Beth Durand, Portland, OR 2008." I think the only reason I don\'t put a label on charity quilts is that I don\'t want to take the time to embroider them. I could use a marker, but...

I put my labels on before quilting them, knowing this way, they won\'t ever be separated from the quilt. The only disadvantage to that is when the wedding gift quilt was made, and then the wedding was called off. I made another one, and hand sewed it over the original to cover up the info. Also, by sewing them on before quilting, I can do it by machine. For someone who loves most handwork as much as I do, hand sewing labels is not my favorite.

On the other hand, I\'ve got a customer who does free-hand counted cross stitch labels on her quilts. She sews those on afterwards, for which I\'m grateful. Somehow stitching over those works of art is too much for me.

Beth

I cheat! I have the HP Quilt label program ($25) and design labels and print them on "iron on" fabric sheets. I give them to my customers as a "thank you" for the business. I think I\'ll start ironing them on before I quilt on my own quilts. That makes sense about having to requilt to remove a label if they\'re stolen.

I like the idea of putting them on before the quilt is quilted, but I have yet to do that. Maybe I\'m too eager to quilt it or something. I like to create the label in my computer just on a blank sheet of paper with a beautiful font of some sort. Make it big enough so that I can use my light box (aka the back side of my Millie) and trace the letters onto fabric, then add some strips of the fabric from the quilt around it for a frame, turn under 1/4 " and hand sew down at the same time I\'m doing the hand sewing on the binding.

I\'m going to try and do the label before I quilt it on this next quilt. Same label procedure, but doing it befor the quilting!

I like to put them in with the binding at the corners. At least two sides are sewn down and you only have whip stitch the other two. Also, you can add little pieces of the left overs under it so if it should ever need a repair there may be enough to fix it.

I have started putting quilt labels on, however I put the on the long side of the quilt. That way the reciient can choose which way is up. I also make my own. I do like the idea of putting it on before you quilt.

As for theft I actually sew my name backwards with the year (also backwards ) somewhere on the quilt where it can be seen from the back but not the front. It is very small and sometime I can\'t find it .

Even thugh I make bed quilts and artist friend got mad at me for not signing my work. She gave me a lecture on how it devalues my work and the work of other quilters. The art community as a whole (quite the quilt trip)

Melora

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

I cheat! and design labels and print them on "iron on" fabric sheets.

Merry Jo....have done this as well, but when washing the quilts they seem to break and crumble off....which iron label to you use with success?

I too have a 12 needle embroidery machine, so do generally just sew them, but have had rush times that the iron on ones were the only way to go at the time....Any suggestions wouuld be great for these moments.

I\'ve been using the "printable" fabric from June Tailor. You can get it at JoAnn\'s. It says you have to dry clean it, but I printed a test patch, and tried to get the printing off with soap and water to no avail. I made sure to iron the fabric both dry and with steam. (make sure you take the paper off the back first - LOL)

I use the HP label maker on my computer with the June Taylor fabric sheets too. I also use these sheets for picture quilts. I offer labels..1/4 page is $5.00 and 1/2 page is $10 depending how much info they need on the back. I also cut the left over binding strip to one inch wide and attach to the label and hand sew on the back after binding is done. I have one customer (trying to survive her latest bout of cancer) who puts a label on every quilt she makes. And she likes a lighthouse next to her info.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I\'m curious. Do you all do this on customer quilts or just on your own quilts? I don\'t think I would be happy if somebody quilted my quilt and did a lable that was sewn in. That is just my personal opinion.

I offer it to customers as an extra cost, but don\'t just do it without instructions. Mostly for myself...and the rush ones were quilts being sent out as gifts and that didn\'t work out very well....I will try this June Taylor sheets next to see how that works.

There have been a couple of customers that wanted their quilt labels quilted onto the quilt...placement as stated before by Dixie, but that gets a bit tricky I even had one customer decide that if we couldn\'t get it in the corner that was perfect she just would have it centered in the center of the quilt and have it quilted there. These few quilts were customers that were showing there quilts and wanted a label that couldn\'t be removed very easily, as several quilts had been stolen from quilt shows and trunk shows in NV and CA.

I embroider labels for my own quilts and "try" to get them on before I quilt them. Doesn\'t always happen though.... otherwise I do at least get one on before I do the binding.

I have only done 2 for customers. Just don\'t want to get it all out and set-it up all the time. Need a bigger studio / space, then I would offer it more to others.

My questions is where - or what side - do you put your label? Does it matter? Is there a better place?

I try to put mine on the lower right-hand corner - as you are looking at the FRONT of the quilt. So really, from the back it is on the lower left side - clear as mud?!?!

Hi Gang! I use the June Tailor sheets through my HP printer with great success. I used MS Publisher to set up several "flavors" of label in about a 1/4 page layout. I have done about 40 this way and they seem to work well; customers and recipients really like them. I usually make a "frame" from a coordinating fabric and decorative stitch around the frame opening to secure the label inside the fabric frame and then sticth this to the bottom RH corner of the back -- I do "set" the ink with a hot iron, water bath and hot iron again. This seems to do the trick.

I was recently thinking about trying this same process on freezer paper backed quality muslin to see what the results might be (perhaps more cost effective?), but I haven\'t tried this yet. Has anyone tried this? I\'m not crazy about the texture of the iron on fabric or the June Tailor Sheets and after they are washed they do crinkle and crack, as my friend Bonnie mentioned. My favorite option is to "acquire" an embroidery machine and do them all that way, but haven\'t found one yet that\'s within reach. You can never have too many toys you know! HaHa. Let\'s hear about more ideas!

Regardless of how I prepare the label (embroidery, printing on ink jet, handwriting with Pigma pen, etc.) I like to "pillow case" my labels (stitch two pieces together and turn right side out) and tuck it in the corner with the open end in the binding so I only have to whip stitch two sides. I like to pillow case because it\'s easier (for me, anyway) to whip stitch the straight edge of the seam that is created from pillow-casing it. Plus, the label it seems sturdier to me, and lies flat as though it has a foundation underneath. Anyway, that is my $.02 on labels. :)

I was recently thinking about trying this same process on freezer paper backed quality muslin to see what the results might be (perhaps more cost effective?), but I haven\'t tried this yet. Has anyone tried this?

This is the only method I use and love it. Soak, then dry, iron on to freezer paper, cut to size, print through printer, dry, use rinse, dry and it\'s great. It does not crack and peel the ink is in the fabric not on top . Also I don\'t use a label program I use "print shop"it has more to choose from I have the hp label and will take quotes from it to put on the printshop. I did a memory quilt using this method and the quilt and pics have held up through many washing. Cost can not be beat. It is pennies a sheet. To make the process faster I soak a few yards at once and then use what I need later.

Hope this helped

Melora

Wendi and all:

Here\'s a link to a site about computer tags... I was looking for quilt blocks on quilterscasche and at the bottom of the page there\'s some other links to the fabric printing sites! It also explains the freezerpaper method and this stuff you can soak it in to make it printer worthy...

http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/directprint.html

Great stuff!

Bonnie,

I like the "Printed Treasures" brand the best. June Taylor labels seem more stiff but they work as well. If you really want to do your own get the "Bubble Jet Set". You treat your own fabric so the ink from the printer doesn\'t come off then iron the freezer paper to it to go through the printer. I got my set from Dharma Trading Co. They also had the 8 1/2 X 11 pre-cut freezer paper to iron on. It\'s already to go through the printer. They had the instructions also.

I love the idea of tucking some extra bits of fabric under the label. Never though of that! I label "art quilts" typically with a small label made from a suitable scrap of fabric from the quilt (front or Back) and usually hand sew it to the back lower corner. Sometimes I just sign the lower back corner with a pigma pen with my name and date. Great ideas here...

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

Bonnie,

I like the "Printed Treasures" brand the best. June Taylor labels seem more stiff but they work as well. If you really want to do your own get the "Bubble Jet Set". You treat your own fabric so the ink from the printer doesn\'t come off then iron the freezer paper to it to go through the printer. I got my set from Dharma Trading Co. They also had the 8 1/2 X 11 pre-cut freezer paper to iron on. It\'s already to go through the printer. They had the instructions also.

Melora...I used the "Bubble Jet Set" when it first came out....say 8 years ago. Have they changed the formula to be a better product. The I still have. The colors would wash out after 1 or 2 washings, the inks back in those days would print, but not very bright/dark. I would be willing to buy more as its the least cost effective way...now that there are better printers and inks available. I had totally forgotten that I had this until I unloaded a box last week that was still packed from when I closed my studio down....5 years ago.

And Shana...Duh...Bon can be so dumb sometimes....I have been hemming the edges of labels forever, and not you come up with "pillow case" labels. What a dilly I have been...that is way easier than what I have been doing. Some days....I wonder how I get out of places without hurting myself.;):P

Archived