This quilt took 25 years to make

A friend of a friend asked if our group could help her to layer this quilt as she didn\'t know what she was doing and wanted to finish it for her grandchild.

It was started 25 years ago when she was living abroad, she had no sewing machine so the animals are all blanket stitch on to the background by hand. She had started to quilt it but had put the borders on after quilting round 2 animals so the batting was waaay too small. It was also very dirty as it had been bundled up in the attic for 20 years.

We rang her as we found this out as we started to try to layer it. We suggested new batting and then we found the backing was too short, so we gave up and I suggested that I would quilt it for her and sort out all the problems as she didn\'t really want to finish it herself.

It is all polycotton, yuck, but it now has the right size backing, decent poly batting and I quilted animals in the corners, around the animals and meandered round the middle. I did railings around the outside using the channel locks which made it quite easy.

End result? She was thrilled and can\'t wait to give the quilt to the child of the child she started making it for 25 years ago.

post--13461899725271_thumb.jpg

Hi Yvette, I love it when we can help someone rescue a long forgotten treasure like this quilt is. You have done a great job quilting it. Love the picket fence and the animals in the corners. This is neat that the original person that this was intended for will now have it for their child. A great story.:cool:

Yvette, what a cute story and the quilte is adorable. You really did a wonderful job quilting it. I love the Animals you put in the corners and the fence is really cute.

That child that receives this quilt is very lucky.

Renae

That came out adorable. How wonderful that it\'s finally finished. I started quilting 25-30 years ago and cotton/poly was what was out there. You could find cotton but it wasn\'t easy. I still have some of the cotton calico print fabric from way back when and remember being thrilled to find it. Dianne

Archived