Here's the "2007" Great Alaska Shop Hop Quilt

This is a customer quilt I just finished.

Not to confuse anyone, the 2006 Great Alaska Shop Hop quilt was various stars in all blue and gold batiks. The 2007 G.A.S.H. quilt (below) depicts some of Alaska\'s beauty (stars, aurora, mountains and trees) An Alaska quilt shop manager designed the 2007 quilt, and the 2008 G.A.S.H. quilt (designed by a different shop owner) has not been released yet... but soon!

Anyway, here is the 2007 shop hop quilt. I had a lot of fun playing with a variety of different thread types (cottons, metallics, Rainbows, So Fine! YLI, Robinson Anton, Valdani, etc.) and used Bottom Line primarily in the bobbin. I did NOT have any thread breaking issues at all. :) I have loosened up my bobbin tension (as Bob Purcell said in his "Threadology" seminar at MQS: Too tight of tension (top and bobbin) is the primary source of our longarm thread issues) and ever since I went loosey goosey on my bobbin tension, I have had smooth quilting. (Thanks BOB!) :)

So, anyway, I will share some photos of the quilt I just finished. I had "free reign" on creativity and just went bonkers trying all sorts of quilting block motif designs and also had fun trying a variety of background fills. I spent a lot of time just "staring" at the block trying to figure out what the heck to do with it. Sometimes I just "winged it" and hoped for the best! LOL!!

Everything is freehand with no premarking, except for marking the spines for the bump-bump feathers in the borders and I used Sherry Rogers\' Apple Core ruler and my straight ruler to SID in places.

It was fun doing this quilt and of course, I learned something new (actually, I learn many things) with each new endeavor. I will call my customer (Paula) on Saturday to tell her it\'s finished. If it\'s a nice, sunny day, I might hop in my Honda del Sol and deliver it to her house myself! :cool:

Here\'s a shot of the entire quilt top

*********** I Apologize For the Numerous Attachments ******* I don\'t know how to add more than one photo at a time.

post--13461899795575_thumb.jpg

Boy Shawna, you didn\'t even let the box in the house did you. Great quilting!! I love how you brought the quilting outside of the squares into the background. I wouldn\'t have thought of that. It really makes it pop.

They are going to love it. :)

Shana sista: WOW! I love how you took the designs on the twins and brought them outside their realm! Then, the pattern you used in the upper right hand blue block!!! She is going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that georgous quilt!

It\'s tremendously awsome quilting!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Am I crazy or whaaaaaaat???????

Yes you are, but boy what an awesome quilting job you did!

Isn\'t it a pity that all those customer quilts in the end have to go to the customers after you had so much fun with it? Now what would happen if you just misplaced this quilt, like say put it in a box with a label to the Netherlands on it....

Hugs

Loes

Archived