New Tools From MQS

I just wanted to let you know that I just finished two quilts using two new rulers that I got at MQS. I liked them both and will use the again.

The first is the Rope Tool from Quilters Rule. It comes in different sizes. The one shown is 3 in (1 1/2 on flip side) fills a 3 inch border nicely. Although I had to work pretty hard doing the border (holding it in place seemed ackward) it stitched out a nice border.

2681181680062887678S425x425Q85.jpg

The second is one of the feather, spiral spines from Quilters Rule. The example shown is the Nautilus Chunky Tool. I really like this tool and I think I have found the perfect spine tool for my free feather borders. It was easy to handle and manipulate. Again, this one is a winner.

2345463510062887678S425x425Q85.jpg

I also bought some of the cable tools from Cindy Roth but haven\'t had the opportunity to use them yet. I\'ll let you know what I think.

These two quilts are very pretty....and your feathers are to die for...a job very well done.

I also have the Nautilus Chunky Tool, but have been to chicken to use it....looked way to hard to hold onto...I too will try when I have something to play with again.

Hi Donna,

Very nice feathering, girlfiend.

That rope border is very striking. I bought 2 different sizes of that ruler at Road2CA but have been afraid to use them. Labor-intensive but what a beautiful finish.

And in another Donna-moment, I also bought the Nautilus at Road. It was just so cool but have no idea where to apply it. Where have you used it?

Mary Beth, Was the stuff Goo be Gone or something similar to take off the sticky. I haven\'t figured out how to use the sticky spray without getting it all over myself and everything else in the spraying process.

Linda, The second picutre used the Nautilus tool. For the spines. I have to do a Trip Around the World tomorrow, I think I will use one of the spines to create the spine for feathers. I think there are a lot of options for this tool. There is a book that gives hints for corners, blocks, etc. Just to get the creative juices flowing.

Donna

Donna,

I take mine out to the back yard...but you can get a box and hold your template down in the box and spray it there...I think that will work, but I haven\'t really tried it :)

The name of the stuff Cindy Roth mentioned is De-Solv-It, manufactured by Orange-Sol. You are suppose to be able to get it at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc...I haven\'t found it yet. You can also order it from www.orange-sol.com (or so Cindy says...I haven\'t been there yet).

Cindy said you need to use an alcohol based product but be very careful when using them on your rulers, some can eat away the plastic. If alcohol works....why not just use it....what is it 50 cents a bottle?? Can\'t beat a price like that...okay, it could be a little more...but not much.

Yeah, I\'m a little ticked about that book. I bought one titled, "Nautilus Spiral Tools - Borders. B;pcls & Corners Volume 1 Second Edition. And another book titled the same thing, only a different cover....I guess in my flury to purchase I didn\'t realize they are the same book on the inside. I would have thought someone at the show would have pointed that out to me....the challenged individual that I am....so I spent $26.00 on books that I only needed one of...

If anyone needs one, I have it for the low, low cost of $12.95, plus shipping. :)

Originally posted by Mary Beth

The name of the stuff Cindy Roth mentioned is De-Solv-It, manufactured by Orange-Sol. You are suppose to be able to get it at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc...I haven\'t found it yet. You can also order it from www.orange-sol.com (or so Cindy says...I haven\'t been there yet).

Okay I don\'t know about spraying the templates but want to chirp up and say that De-Solv-It is magic stuff but Wally World, in it\'s infinite wisdom (at least in our area) has decided NOT to carry it. I have to go to my local ACE hardware store. I went to their (De-Solv-it\'s) website and found a list of stores and called them with the item number that I got off the site. I make a special trip to the hardware store and but at least 2 at a time.

I really need to write them and tell them all the clothes/money they have saved me. You know how if you eat something like chicken and get a drop (or even a teeny speck) of grease on your shirt it\'s there FOREVER, no matter what stain remover you use? De-Solv-It will take it out if you catch it before you wash it. My kids come in from being with their dad in his shop with their clothes COVERED in hydraulic oil, everyplace sprayed with this stuff will be like new. Amazing stuff for laundry.

For my templates I bought some sticky sandpaper like stuff from Donita Reeves years ago. When you take the sticky back off it\'s pretty clear so you can still see thru the ruler in all the places. I only have to use a tiny little speck of the stuff in a couple of places and my rulers do not slip. I\'ve looked for it at the hardware store but never found anything just like it. I think it might actually be a grip for the edge of a step. I would love to check out an RV store, but never go to any. :D

Tracye,

Thanks for that tip. My stains never come out! I\'ll get some. I quit going to K-mart a few years about because they never had any baskets. Its no longer there!

Mary Beth, What a frenzy that was. I have to say, I\'ve bought duplicates before. Good tip about the box. I\'ll try that too.

Donna

I have found that the "sticky dots" that I bought for my

"Golden Thread" paper works great on the bottom of my rulers. The adhesive is just enough to hold my ruler where I want it without leaving adhesive on the quilt or sandpaper abrasions. When the dots don\'t stick any longer, I just pull them off and put new ones on the rulers bottom. All the craft stores have some form of "stick dots" in the scrap book section.

Archived