I need advice on moving to a storefront

I have come to the realization that I have outgrown my home with my longarm business and my husband and I are writing up a business proposal to take my business to the next level. He is so supportive and has done so much to get this started for me.

anyway, our basic plan is to provide quilting services (custom and hopefully computerized when APQS finishes their machine) I would teach my husband how to do computerized work and he would manage the business ...and eventually hire an "apprentice".

-sales for longarm supplies/batting/thread/books/pantos/thread (all geared toward longarm...the stuff we wish the LQS would carry but wont)

-teaching and hosting teachers and hopefully quilt guilds

and a couple of other things in the works.

I have no background in retail or leasing a storefront. ANY advice would be appreciated as we are just going on prayer and drive. I need to be able to work out all of the pros and cons before we head to the big man at the bank or sign our life away on a lease.

I would look hard at your tax and insurance situation.

Are you a Schedule C Small Business? You have more protection as an LLC. If you have employees, you have a whole host of tax things to take care of.

You will need liability insurance as you will have people coming to your location.

Have you done a cost benefit analysis? How much in fixed costs (rent, insurance, utilities) will you have each month, no matter how much business you bring in? How much additional revenue will you bring in? Does this cover the increased expenses?

Good luck - glad to hear you\'re working up a business plan - it really helps to see the realities of a situation and where your risk is. Feel free to email me directly with questions.

Julia

Hi Jessica! This is an awesome endeavor! :) Congratulations and I wish you & your DH the biggest success and fulfilment of dreams. I know you will do well.

I can\'t provide any advice on a brick & mortar store, but I can give you some things (professional organizations) that can help you along your stepping stones.

1) Check with your local Small Business Development Center. Usually advice from the counselors there is free, and they can hook you up with other free (or low cost) resources to help make your shop successful. You know what we say in the business world "It is who you know!" ;)

2) Start networking; even with "non quilty" business owners. Do you belong to your local Chamber of Commerce? If not, start going to their weekly luncheon meetings. You will get lots of great information, meet lots of successful business owners, etc... Just like finding a good job (these are not normally advertised) most things are found by going through the "back door" -- know what I mean? That\'s where you find the great locations, sustain the great business relationships, etc...those positive relationships will make you or break you... Like I said before "It\'s who you know!"

I am super proud of you.

Jessica -

This is so ironic! We are looking at signing a lease on a small brick and mortar shop right down the street. The manager is willing to give us a 3 month lease that rolls...

I\'m am so nervous!! I\'m not giving up my day job yet but my DH will be there to man the shop until the weekend hours. Trying to keep it small initially but that\'s like not letting the cat out of the bag!

The person renting to us was talking about a Gross Rent vs a Net Rent...trying to figure all of the differences out...

I\'m so excited for you and scared to death (for me:))

All I can say is go for it!!

We are looking at an S-Corp possibly - supposed to be some decent tax benefits and will protect you if you have employees. Employees are supposed to be the biggest liability to a small business owner so the S-corp protects your personal property but lets the income flow through your personal income taxes so you don\'t pay the double taxation of a C-corp.

Yeah!!!

I wish you the best of luck. I am sorry I can\'t help with the running a business end of it, but I did want to wish you luck!

Also, I wanted to tell you that a local long arm business here also offers the service of finishing unfinished pieced tops. I thought it was a great idea when I saw it because I think most quilters have a alot of UFO\'s. So it might be another way to bring in business. That is if you like to piece :).

Jessica,

Go for it!!!! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. My DH and I have jumped off the deep end several times and they have all turned into gold. Good luck and when I come to AZ in the winter, I\'ll be stopping by to see you. I\'ll have to stock up on longarm supplies.

Jessica,

Congrats!!!!

I am so happy you are looking into doing this, I think it is long over do for the valley. Maybe (if you haven\'t thought about this yet) you may also want to consider being a rep for APQS...we don\'t have an in state rep for AZ yet. The closest rep we have is Myrna for our area and believe me she is the greatest rep there is but it sure would be nice to actually have one (brick/motar) in state when any of us is looking to upgrade or even if someone is considering buying ther first to be able to go and see them in person instead of waiting once a year for APQS to come out for the demo/show or even having to wait for the someone to come out to give class that comes with the machines when purchased.

I also hope you plan on carrying all of the Superior Threads,

it will be nice to be able to jump in the car and pick up the color you are running out of to finish that customer quilt instead of having to wait for it to be shipped.

I hope it all works out...can\'t wait!!!! (doing the snoopy dance! :D )

We are really excited too. We are starting to shy away from the retail a little bit after seeing the overhead for a retail storefront and realizing how little income that would bring in since so many people use the internet. If anything, we would like to carry batting and thread and emergency parts for APQS.

we are looking at what they call "flex spaces" at the scottsdale airpark which are offices/showrooms in the front and have a nice warehouse/work area in the back..all A/C\'d They look really nice and are MUCH more affordable. I just dont know the zoning policies on retail at that kind of place. But if I can, I will definitely carry Superior as they are the only brand I use.

We are still in the planning stages though. Im glad that we are doing our business plan because it is forcing us to look at everything realistically and how to do this and make it successful. I know that if we do this right, we will NOT FAIL. We have tons of support from our families and we cant stop talking about it. We are in good hands too. My DH\'s stepdad is helping us with our business proposal for our loans and he has lots of experience doing this as he was president of a small mortgage company years ago. he would be the first to tell us not to do it but he said after he saw what I do and how the machines work that he is very excited to get involved.

Thank you for all of the wonderful advice I have gotten on here and in my personal email. It is an incredible feeling when people want for you to succeed. :) :)

• 1 year later...

What is bound to make you successful is YOU, Jessica. You have a great talent and enthusiasm for quilting which will draw people to you. Your husband's stepdad recognized right away what we have known for a long time!

Good luck in your search for the perfect space. I would love to take classes from you and wish you much success.:cool:

Originally posted by VictoriaG

Looks like Hans Thomas brought this old post up to the top.

I would advise everyone to avoid the clickable in his sig.

vg

Maybe he is also the newbie who posted to the Moxie group thread and has a french clickable in that sig too. Just thinkin.

I reported him. Hopefully they will remove it quickly. Who knows what damage that link will do.

What you are doing would be great fun, I think. I was one of 5 who owned a gift shop and it is VERY time comsuming. It's true, you don't make that much on "store bought" goods, but your classes and quilting could be good income producers. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted and let us know about classes. I'm a classes freak!!!

Archived