2 questions

Good Day Fellow Longarmers

I have a couple of questions for you and they are.....

1. Do any of you design your own quilts and, if so, what computer program do you use? This is for designing the quilt, not the quilting.

2. Has anyone ever had a problem with sinus stuffiness from quilting? I have had this happen twice now, where I end up with a headache and what feels like a sinus infection after quilting.

Answers will be truly appreciated.

Sylvia from Canada

Question #1....yes I use EQ version 6 for that.

Question #2....sometimes but its more of a thing with a smokey quilt...maybe the battings that they are using you are having a reaction to. Check to see what battings they are using and see if they are the same and go from there.

Hi Sylvia,

1) I use good old fashioned graph paper and pencils. I tried EQ but we didn't get along. I'm a computer programmer by profession so you would think EQ would be right up my alley. Instead, I found it very un-logical and frustrating. Oh well, paper and pencil work just fine.

2) I've never had that happen to me.

If the fabric on the quilt top hasn't been washed before piecing, a lot of chemicals could exist and get in the air causing allergies. (like Coleen said...)

Whenever we unwrap new bolts of fabric, we tend to sneeze more and I can tell some people's allergies seem to flare from the fabric and bolts of batting that we have in the shoppe.

I do need to take the air purifier to the shoppe - thanks for the suggestion and maybe that will help.

Oh, I use MS Excel for designing quilts...guess it's the accounting nerd coming out in me. I make all of my columns and rows the same width and height then insert shapes with scanned fabric or fabric swatches from the internet if I'm designing with a specific fabric line or colors.

1. I use EQ6. I started off with the first version years ago and have kept upgrading. I LOVE it! I love it for designing and can spend hours tweeking a pattern. I will even take a pattern in a magazine or book and draw it in and then put in my fabric choices.

2. I have reactions to some unwashed fabrics, so my own stash is washed before taken to the sewing room whenever possible. I also have a problem with barometric pressure, so you might keep an eye on that.

Are you perhaps using Pounce on the quilt?

The first couple of times I used Pounce I got a horrific headache and felt like sinus infection that lasted for 2 days.

Now I still use it, but I apply it with a foam brush, not the pounce pad, and I open all the windows or turn on the fan. Sometimes I leave the room for awhile after using it, just to let it all settle.

I love the stuff, but I have to use it moderately.

Thank you all so much!

I will go ahead with an EQ purchase.

I have my suspicions about batting and - Melora - the two quilts I just did had Warm and Natural in them. I'll keep track so I can specify which battings are OK. I myself use Hobbs 100 organic cotton and Hobbs 80/20 and occasionally Hobbs PolyDown . No problem there.

Thanks again. I don't want to give this up but don't want to feel like this either.

Happy Quilting

Sylvia from Canada

P.S. I am highly allergic to frogs, too.

I can't answer the first question, I'm not that talented.

#2. Allergies. First, cotton is the MOST over treated crop on the planet. Cotton uses the most pesticides (except for organic cotton of course which is chemical free when they grow it). Then cotton is processed with chemicals, dyes, etc. Unwashed cotton has given me lots of sinus reactions, itchy watery eyes, skin and sneezing. I always wash before using otherwise I'm suffering. I have also found that if I use the new organic cotton/bamboo batting, I have no reaction to it.

I use EQ5, kind of. I think the program is very frustrating most of the time. I do scan in fabric and use a general idea of what I want and color with the scanned fabrics to see if they are working out. I also use the program to print out cutting sizes for odd sized blocks I find a need for. Quite a bit of my designing is by the seat of my pants as I go along. Usually medallion type quilts that I decide on the each layer as I go along. Certainly not scientific but that's me.

A box of dust masks from the Health Supply store, or sometimes Walmart carries them, also helps with dusty things and sinus problems, also lung problems.. That would also let the customer choose the batt she/he wants, and help you get thru it.

RitaR

That happens to me also, but I can't figure out if its allergies to what's outside or the quilting bats or??? Since you are from Central Alberta (where) and I am from Sherwood Park, maybe its the same thing. I took Reactine for Sinus and that has helped.

Hi

It might be from the dyes in the fabric. I know I am sensitive to them. Are you in a basement? Are you in a humid area? Dust is the biggest allergy cause, next is mold and cat hair. Take some allergy over the counter and see if that helps you. It sure does help. When the wind blows I have more allergys acting up then when calm. Hope you find out whats up. Hope these things help spot what the cause is.

Hi

It might be from the dyes in the fabric. I know I am sensitive to them. Are you in a basement? Are you in a humid area? Dust is the biggest allergy cause, next is mold and cat hair. Take some allergy over the counter and see if that helps you. It sure does help. When the wind blows I have more allergys acting up then when calm. Hope you find out whats up. Hope these things help spot what the cause is.

Archived