A Lap Quilt for $20!!

I made a cute little lap quilt for the little boy of a lady at work out of the goodness of my cold little heart. She loved it and told me I should make them and sell them because I could "make a lot of money." When I asked her how much she would pay for something like that she said, "Oh I would easily pay $20." My mouth dropped open! When I told her how much it cost me to make the one I made for her little boy, her mouth dropped open. So funny:D

Gable, this just proves that the general public doesn't have a clue as to what our 'little' hobby costs! :D

I was making a flannel rag quilt for my niece a few years ago, the fabric alone for it was over $85.00, DS kept saying that I could get her a savings bond to go with the quilt. (We don't spend large amounts on each other's kids.) After about the 3rd or 4th time I told her just how much this quilt would cost. She never mentioned it again. My niece loved the quilt, she was 7 or 8 then. ;)

BTW this is the same DS who had several afghans that I'd crocheted for her on the floor for her dogs! :o My chin must've fell to the floor but I didn't say anything.

Along those lines. . .

I have a friend who just shakes her head when she sees my projects. She doesn't understand why we take perfectly good fabric, cut it up, and put it back together just to make a quilt. AND the thought of throwing away the scraps is unbelievable. She is in her 70's and has boxes and boxes and boxes of fabrics she just put in storage because they are moving to a smaller house. Those fabrics are probably 40 years old and she is still hanging on to them. Don't you know there are a lot of polyesters in those boxes? She did a lot of tailoring when she was a young bride--55years ago.

Speaking of the price of quilts, do we HAVE to take a cut in pay when we want to sell one of our quilts? People tell me I will never make minimum wage for my quilts--OR I will never sell them at "those" prices. I say, there are a lot of people out there who have the money to spend, and if my quilt pleases them, they WILL pay the price.

I had a boyfriend (notice it was HAD) who told me that I would be an economical wife since I sewed most of my clothes at the time. I pointed out the cost of the fabric and a sewing machine and he changed his mind. I have to wonder what he would think of JJ, my milli. I have given quilts to friends who don't have a clue as to how expensive the materials are before our time goes into actually making and quilting the quilts. This is one of the reasons I prefer "hand crafted" rather than "home made." People think that home made means cheaper.

Pamela

A few years ago, our firm had a sweet secretary. Besides doing her job, she was always so helpful and willing to go the extra mile for our group. She and her hubby finally bought their first house. Since she is such a cat lover, I made a lap sized quilt for her using some cheerful cat fabric. It was only about 50" x 60". She was so WOWed by my gift.

A week later, she told me how much her cats loved that quilt and would lay (read as "shed their furballs") on the quilt all day. Huh!....Grrrrr.:mad:

Then she suggested that since the quilt was so wonderful, why didn't I make more for sale. She said "I bet you can sell those quilts on eBay for $30" What? The cut fabric folded on the counter in the LQS cost more than $30. And what about the time to cut, piece, press and assemble. And what about the batting and oh yeah, the quilting time.

The only thing I can figure is that folks must think that fabric is $1.00 a yard and the piecing, quilting and binding is done by elves while we sleep. :)

You made my day...I needed thie for kicks and giggles:P

I go through the dame thing as you and I just can't believe that people expect us to give away our crft.

People think nothing of paying a DR,Lawyer,Plumber big bucks...why can' we ask the same.

I have a cust that wants me to make 2 bears of out her best friends clothes(he passed away cpl mths ago).

I gave her a price nd she whips out of bear that she bought at the Dollare store and asked me 'why so much"....DUH!!!!!

I'm still waiting for her deposit...lol

A lady came in the shoppe today wanting to know if we hemmed pants....

Sure we'll hem your britches on the long arm - for a $40 minimum charge each!!! :P

I always remember the saying (which was posted somewhere on this site), "...asking a quilter to hem your pants is like asking Picasso to paint your bathroom!!!..."

I agree with all of you about the ignorance (or rather shall I say lack of education) that people have for costs of these hand crafted quilts. There is a difference between our hand crafted quilts and those "mass produced made in a China factory" quilts. Many people don't know.

What I did want to add here was besides the costs for quality fabric, and the large amount of the time it takes to put these quilts together... the other (most important) thing to me is the thought and care (the blood, sweat & tears) that goes into making these quilts. You can't put a money number on the heart/soul and care part of it. That's why I'd much rather make a quilt and give it away for free to someone I know will appreciate it, than sell a quilt to someone who has no clue and thinks the quilt is only worth $20.00. Sorry, but I don't need to be insulted that way and would rather give it away for free to someone I love or a friend or someone in need, than accept chump change for all the heart and soul that I put into it. Ain't worth it to me!

ROFLOL! :P OK I have to share something with you guys...

Last year in fall 2007, my sister in Washington sent me an unexpected package in the mail. I opened it up to my surprise was a fabric kit with beautiful batiks and a halloween pattern. There was a note inside that said something like "I was shopping the other day and saw this really cute halloween quilt so I thought you could make this for me. I figured you could finish this within a year so it's ready for me to have in fall 2008." :o :mad:

Well, after I read that note I was a little mad/disappointed that my sister would make such a request without any regard to my thoughts. It was like she was saying "here, do this for me and have it ready for me next year. thanks." yeah...sure I'm just a quilt-makin' fool! :mad: Let me stop everything and do your little halloween quilt.

Okay Honey, now that you have had time to get over your mad....does she have her little Halloween quilt. In case ya don't have that holiday up in the frozen north...today is Halloween... Also its a State holiday in Nevada. YEAH Nevada Day...... TRICK OR TREAT;)

Bonnie! LOL! :P

Yes, I made the quilt... this September and I sent it to her!

And I also included an Invoice listing the costs of making this quilt... the time it took me to put it together (like nearly 30 hours) and the longarm quilting charge. Wanna know how much I charged for her little 30x30 wall quilt??

$250.00

Of course, I put a note in there that this was just for her awareness and not to pay the bill. :)

I called her on the phone after she got the quilt. She loved the quilt. :) She really appreciated the "invoice" I sent her and she understands all that goes into putting this quilt together.

So, in the end all is good. She and my little 8 year old niece, Veaya, have a very cute quilt for halloween.

Happy sister, happy niece, happy auntie shana. :)

I have a customer that's father passed away about a year ago. She asked if I could make a quilt from her dad's work shirts. I told her I would call her that evening with an estimate for a quilt the size she wanted.....thinking that she wouldn't really want to spend that much. After hearing the price she asked if I could also make one for her son too. I have now finished the first one and have to take a break from this project to work on others. Will deliver next Friday after binding.

Oh Shana do i know how you feel!

When i had my fabric shop open, the local quilt guild memebers would come in with these high priced fabrics pieced perfectly into tops, awesome work done by these gals. When I would tell them what the cost to quilt those tops for them would be i would get berated-literally-for being too expensive. I was at the national average at the time and was being told constantly by my mentor that i was too low in pricing for the work that I do. This happened so many times that I evetually closed my shop and now quilt for a select few in the community. It just wasn't worth the heartache. and this was from people who were supposed to know the business! Of course these were also the same people that purposely tried to make me look bad at a taping of The Quilt Show with Ricky and Alex. I guess tact wasn't in their upbringing!:mad:

Whew! were'd that come from?!?!?!

Happy Quilting

I am one that also gives more away than I sell. I only make for those that I know are going to love and appreciate the work that goes into a quilt. Now, for those that aren't in the "know" of how much a quilt costs to make, they make it difficult for us. They have no idea the cost of supplies and then your time. My time is just as valuable as any one elses!!

My DH and I have had our appliance repair business for 26 years now. Some people think that "Oh, they have their own business, I don't need to pay them, they have lots of money". Yeah, right. I'd like to knock them along side the head with a baseball bat. (can you tell we have some deadbeat customers?) I know that with my quilting business, as I get it going, they will pay the price I charge and they won't have a chance to stiff me. They pay me or they don't get their quilt.

As a service rep would always tell us at our service meetings, you have 2 things to sell. Your time and your knowledge. This applies to us quilters as well. For that, they will either understand the cost and use us or they won't and will go buy inferior made in China products.

Oh, sorry, but this reminded me of a shop we went to in Oregon last fall. I was looking for "quilt shops" online. I found one. Yeah, this was a joke!! It was an actual quilt shop and most of the quilts were made in foreign countries and they were more basted than quilted and had folds in them, seams didn't match, points cut off, etc. Our friends got a real good lesson that day in what quilts do NOT look like!! When other customers came into the shop and the owner was talking to them, I wanted to yell "run, run away, you don't want to waste your money on these!!!". Ü

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

And I also included an Invoice listing the costs of making this quilt... the time it took me to put it together (like nearly 30 hours) and the longarm quilting charge. Wanna know how much I charged for her little 30x30 wall quilt?? $250.00

Of course, I put a note in there that this was just for her awareness and not to pay the bill. :)

So glad you said this! I really would like to tell the people just how much time and money these "gifts" cost. When it's my family or good friend I want to use the best I can afford. However, when I know good and well how they are going to use and treat it, I want to buy Walmart material & batting! I know, I know...I have to let them go and trust for the best but my heart aches to know how they'll be treated!

I made a wedding quilt for my DN and his bride this past summer and with the card I included a photo of the quilt and how much it cost for insurance purposes. It was the best way for me to tell them the value of this special gift. I am trying to educate my family and some friends to the actual time and money involved in quilt making and quilting. My DN loves my quilts, he now has 2 and I am sure that they will be well cared for!

My 4 little trick or treaters have come and gone, they are all I get here in the country but they were very cute this year and so polite! Happy Halloween everyone! :)

When the family word of mouth got out that I had spent soooo much money on a quilting machine, one of my older brothers (whom I love very much) came to me and said, "Honey, why would you spend so much on a quilting machine? I go to auctions all of the time and could buy quilts for little or nothing.":o I simply said, "Ah, but you haven't seen my quilts!" He just shook his head. He has no concept of what I do, or why I do it. Plus, he is(shall we say) VERY frugal. Ya gotta love people like that.

Archived