Embers Quilt with CL Spiral

I just finished this quilt for a customer. It is called Embers by H.D. Designs. The customer used a gradient fabric. It was quite a bit of work and I had to put a sprial on practically every seam line on the quilt.:)

My DH made me an acrylic ruler for the border work. For the thread I used So Fine in a pumpkin color.

I haven't done much custom work and I can now see why it is so stressful and isn't very cost effective.:o I kept track of my hours and this took me 13 hours to quilt.

post--13461900697845_thumb.jpg

I love the quilt - have seen it several times - you did a great job quilting - really makes the quilt!!!!! I can't tell from the pictures - did you overlap the spirals or take the time to make them appear to interweave each other?

Yes - the custom really is stressful. Just finished two that took hours of work and was so glad to finish. Next one will be easier for my own sanity. Will probably get easier to do the custom work as I have quilted longer and get better.

Originally posted by meg_marsh

I can't tell from the pictures - did you overlap the spirals or take the time to make them appear to interweave each other?

Yes, each of the spirals overlapped each other. It makes the centers of each square resemble a smoldering campfire-that is the illusion that the quilt owner is hoping people will see.

Susan

Originally posted by DebFigved

Gorgeous. I have a friend who wants a CL. I'll have to direct her to this post.

Hey, that puppy is adorable!!

I love all of my CL tools?? The one I use the most is the Swirls design board. Customers love it.

This puppy is now an 85 pound lap dog that sits on my head every morning at 6am. LOL But really sweet.

Susan

Susan - WOW! This is a show-stopper. I love the way you quilted it, perfect for those gradient hot colors. Great job.

Circle Lord is probably my most used tool. I wish that Michael made storage bins so my giant templates could be separated. I have them all laying on top of each other so they stay flat. Invariably, the one I want is the one on the bottom.

Did you use the 12" or 18" spiral? I have the small one, I'll have to put the large one on my wish list.

Please post when this beauty will be in a show here in San Diego county. I would love to go see it up close and personal. And thank you for the close-ups.

Archived