Your 2009 goal

Where do you want your quilting to go in 2009? Any specific technique or skill you want to master or improve?

Is there a certain direction you want to take your business?

For me, 2009 will be my technology year. Yep, I WILL get an avatar up.

I will learn to post pictures.

I will add a computer to my Millie.

I might buy a camcorder and try a YouTube how to video.

When you set goals do you like accountability or not? I need my gym accountability buddy (DH) or I would not go half the time.

New Year wishes to all,

vg

I like your determined "I WILL " attitude.

I also like your direction you want to take your business.

I will have new packaging this year.

I will have a new approach to bring customers coming back more often in the year.

I will also work on more techniques in my design work.

I have God as my co-pilot to help me thru the year to accomplish my goals. He never fails me.

My 2009 Goals...

1. I will schedule less customer quilts

2. I will reduce my customer list to my favorite customers:)

3. I will get my DS and DDIL's wedding quilt done before their 2nd anniversary ;)

4. I will make my mom a quilt this year.

5. I will make my dad a quilt this year.

6. I will make my DMIL a quilt this year.

7. I will improve my freehand quilting this year so that I can run with the "big dogs" ;)

Well, this year 2008 wraps up and completes my "1st official year / as newbie longarm quilter" and wow I have learned so much! I still find myself "freaking out" and I am afraid to screw up. Really. I have this fear. It's hard to get over it sometimes. Usually it's with my own personal quilts. I want them to be just right ... and they aren't. I am going through it right now... Why do I do this to myself? :o I'm like a deer in headlights. I think it's because I imagine it's got to be harder and I'm not doing it right. I am just finishing up some quilts I was thinking of putting into a big show like MQX or MQS in the rookie category. I've never put a quilt in a show like this before and it scares the YYYY-YIKES! out of me!

Anyway, that said, my goal is to NOT be afraid any more and just go for it. Be free. Be carefree! Fly like a butterfly!

My goals are to

(1) Become more accomplished at custom work by trying new techniques on charity quilts

(2) To organize an effective and highly motivated charity group at our guild

(3) To refrain from starting more projects until 25% of current UFOs are completed (guess I better count - oh no....)

(4) To pay attention to the quality time I spend with my husband so he really knows he's more important to me than anything else.

That's it. Any more than 4 is unrealistic for me :P

I will retain customers

I will have at least two books in print by the end of the year

I will have at least 3 more patterns in print by the end of the year

I will get enough new quilts completed for my gallery show

I will try and book another venue for the show

I will enter at least one US show

I will enter at least one UK show

Oh heck I have my work cut out. I had better get back to the machine :) Now how do we arrange for this thread to bounce to the top this time next year?

Another possibly more useful exercise is to look back at what you have achieved this year. There is a good starting list http://artbizcoach.com/newsletter/2008/12/acknowledg/ try it, you may be surprised what you've already achieved. I always find some of the questions make me feel a little down, things I would like to have done, but far more are really encouraging.

Ferret

Shana, I've seen some of your work and you should have no fear!!! That said, I admit that I too feel nervous whenever I put a quilt on my Lenni. I see such awesome quilting on this wonderful forum and I wonder if I will ever feel good enough to quilt for others. Then I look back at where I was a year ago and I think maybe I really am getting better all the time. Anyway, I dare you to enter a quilt in a big show. Go for it, girl!

If you want to win the lottery, you have to buy a ticket. Quilt shows are just the same. It's something of a lottery how your quilt gets on. You might as well give it a shot.

I tell my students (and I belive it) that even dreadful quilts can add something positive to a show. The less than perfect inspire others. I suspect more quilts are made when someone feels they can do it than when they can't. So even if you are sure your quilt isn't up to scratch enter it, someone will love you for it. On the other hand, I will bet your quilts are better than you think, and when hung in a show will look even better. Try it you might like it.

I think you will have a ball seeing your quilts hanging in a big show. I missed competing as a rookie and I do regret it.

and no, I didn't just address that to Shana, I am sure there are lots of us who could be entering more big shows.

Ferret

2009 GOALS YIKES

Well, It seems like I always start out the New Year with a big bang and it lasts almost till February before I forget all about it so maybe my goal will be to make a new goal at the beginning of each month. That way it can reflect the direction my life takes me throughout the year. I guess I am one of those short term type of people who need redirection often must be ADD or something like that. so this month I would like to finish just one UFO. I think I would like to start with my Lone Star , I have all the sections done but the top not put together yet. It will go on my bed as I am ashamed to say I have had a Linen's N Things spread on my bed for the last 3 or 4 years and it is time for a makeover. I also have a wall hanging out of co- ordinating fabrics to go on the bedroom wall. If I am successful at my January goal then maybe the wall hanging will be for February.

That is about as far ahead as I want to think right now.

My goal is to lose the 20 lbs that found me after I quit smoking coming up on 2 years ago.

I will start on an excersise regimen faithfully and will eat healthier.

I will continue the work on my next show quilt and design another and another and another after that.

I will learn how to maintain my Facebook page and find friends that like me.

Hey Sherry...20 pounds in 2 years??? Just think how many pounds I gained in the 10 years since I quit (and went through menopause at the same time)!!!!!

Actually, don't even think about that. LOL

My goals for 2009 are to get out/stay out of debt; buy only fabric I need to finish a project, rather than buy fabric to just add to my stash. I want to make lots of scrappy quilts next year and my stash is perfect for that. I want to take some class and practice, practice, practice to improve my skills. I want to spend more quality time with my family and my friends.

1st finish the two Christmas quilts sitting in my room by jan 10th

2nd have 2 tops ready to go on the long arm by jan 25th for a family that is friends with my sister .. they got 6 foster kids on no notice a week before Christmas so Mom is doing 2 tops and so is my sister, and so am I then we are gonna try to quilt them all up the weekend of the 25th on our jan 5 day family quilt retreat

then random ufo;s at some point

and the red white and blues i bought 3 years ago.. i want to get that one done this year..

idk from there

Gee My goals are to1. build a customer list..A newbee yes,

2. Finish I O U from christmas

3. Enjoy my family and spend more tme with them... Can't wait until March 15th went my son, daughter in law and two grandsons come to SD from Alabama. Miss them so much! Okay Time to get to work

I would love to enter a quilt made / quilted by me in a show , have missed the "Rookie category " I think for I have had my machine for 2 yrs , I think the rules are 1 year [please correct me if I wrong ] in real life I am sure it won't happen at least not in 2009

I will work on the core part of my body that has gone south [for winter] hoping to get back where it belongs :P

Try to have more days for me , not work so hard for others . I really miss sewing :(

To just have some fun , full more at ease with freehand work

Enjoy life .......

Happy New Year to all of you

happy quilting

Make an art quit.

Make a landscape quilt.

Use up more scraps and become good at scrappy. (I took a Scrap Therapy class Saturday so I'm on my way)

Enter MQS. (My knees are knocking. Sound familiar Shana?- mine are knocking so hard I can hear them)

Get somebody to carry up a small refrigerator to my attic studio. I might actually get this goal done.

Become friendly with the treadmill.

To Do List for 2009:

1. Continue to better my relationship with the Lord

2. Have more customers (so I could start making real money)

3. Launch my Website anytime (My Brother in law, the professional designer is almost done with it)

4. Build a studio/clean and organize the house cluttered to the max by my quilting business.

3. Enter Best of the Valley show (Tulare County, Ca) in April 2009.

the # 1 on my list, I believe should take care of accomplishing the rest of my goals and all the other desires of my heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corey

Sister, Sister

Longarm Business

APQS Millenium

My goals are:

1. Finish up some of the quilts in my stash that are not even started.

2. Tame and organize my stash before it explodes.

3. Do a better job at cleaning my house. Alas to do this it means less time sewing, quilting, and on the computer.

Task to do before any of the above is to quilt the quilt my sis made for her DH for Christmas. She was going to quilt it herself on her DM but realized that she had made it too big for her to handle easily. When DH got the package with the quilt top in it he was sure that it was fat quarters. Sis laughed as she had not used any fat quarters when making the top.

Pamela

Archived