A Lesson Learned

I took this quilt from a new customer and she had every sq inch pre marked..so I'm thinking, Great, I won't have to decide on what to quilt on it or do the marking, so I graciously give her a $5.00 per yd discount.. at closer inspection, a few weeks later when I was ready to start quilting, the design really wasn't condusive to LA quilting, more for hand or DSM. Plus just too much quilting on this top. I called her and discussed and we decided to eliminate some of the designs..well long story short..she had a triple cable design in the cream sashings around the focus blocks. After trying for about 8 hrs (2/3 rds done) to get them to look decent I gave up and ripped for 15 hrs and then did another 10 hours of basket weave design. It actually looks better, but that might be because it's decent quilting:P I have about 50 hrs in this quilt and thought it should take about 25 hrs..the DOUBLE spine feathers in 2 outer borders was another story..would have probably been much easier if I had a ruler that worked with her wave, but I didn't.

Anyhow, next time I get a premarked I think I will charge extra.:D

post--13461900976203_thumb.jpg

The quilting looks beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

This is exactly why it is hard to make it in this business. It really pays to go over the quilt with a fine tooth comb with the customer. Too many times I have just take in a quilt only to really look at it late and have the same thing happen that you are going through now. Then just think about how much you made per hour and know that you can work at McDonalds starting at $7 per hour ;)

But the quilting looks good!!;)

It sure is gorgeous!

It is also one of the reasons I just quilt for myself and not as a business. I have quilted tops for a friend a few times and always wanted to kick myself for suggesting it. I made up a birthday "coupon" for her, good for one quilt. She thought this was such a wonderful idea, I did it for Christmas also, and another one for the most recent birthday. Unfortunately, I always get her quilt from hell, it seems. She loves to piece, but only does SID on her domestic machine, so she saves the big ones for me now. As an example, she made a pieced crib quilt...but decided since I would quilt it for her she would "slap" on a 30 inch border and make it into a twin bed quilt for her granddaughter's birthday present. Hum...everything was wonky, but I stuffed batting along the rollers at the sides where the borders were getting wavy and did the CL Swirls on it. It actually turned out great, but I was worried the entire time. I also replaced her cheap batting that was disintegrating and stuff was flying around my machine. It must have been very old and very cheap. I used a twin Quilter's Dream batting I bought retail for one of my quilts.

Next I am getting a large Christmas panel that she is still putting rounds of borders on, again for a twin bed. Sounds easy, but she just slaps on the borders and it is already not laying flat. She wanted this done for Christmas when she had her family come for dinner. I set aside a week of my time to do this (I work full time, etc...), but she didn't get the borders slapped on in time. I tried to explain how to measure for the borders, but she informed me she has been quilting for many years longer than I have been and she also taught classes in a LQS, so I didn't know what I was talking about. If I was any good (as a quilter) I could just quilt it in. Humm...I think this is the last "coupon" she gets. Plus, if I was in business, a twin bed quilt job is certainly more costly than a bottle of Merlot that I get from her. She "believes" I make out better doing her quilting, because afterall, thread is cheap (at JoAnn's), but I use Superior's thread - certainly not cheap, but wonderful thread.

She also asked me to quilt 2 t-shirt quilts that someone is paying her to make for them. I don't know what she will get, but she is talking of between $15 anad $20 a block. She's had the bag of shirts about 2 months already, but hasn't started. She asked me what stabilizer I used on two I made and after I told her (Pellon, SF101) she decided it cost too much and got something that was cheaper. Humm...and what will she give me if I decided to do these? Another bottle of Merlot? I don't think I will do these. I am not in business and she is now putting me in a bad spot. Plus, the woman wants these quilts done by the beginning of February. They aren't started yet. That means I would get them and have to sit up all night trying to get them quilted for her. No thanks! I like my hobby!

Maybe, just maybe, when I retire, I will start a business to supplement my SS, but I really need to think hard and long on that one.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

.........I made up a birthday "coupon" for her, good for one quilt......she made a pieced crib quilt...but decided she would "slap" on a 30 inch border and make it into a twin bed quilt...........I tried to explain how to measure for the borders, .....she informed me she has been quilting for many years longer than I have....and she also taught classes in a LQS, so I didn't know what I was talking about.........a bottle of Merlot............Another bottle of Merlot? .....No thanks! I like my hobby!

Sandy,

I suggest that for your "friend" that the next coupon you give her is for "One Lesson On How to Properly Slap On Borders" :P

And regarding that bottle of Merlot... Those come in many price ranges. You deserve a bottle in the $100+ range. And if you do get one of those Merlot bottles you must share it with me. That's the deal. Easy Peasy. ;)

Shana

pre marked or not the quilt and quilting is beautiful. Let's just hope seeing as though you didnt really make money on this one that it will make business for you anyway. When the quilter shows off her quilt at guild or to friends hopefully she will tell them who did the wonderful quilting and it will bring you business. I would think that she either intended to hand quilt it and that is why she had it marked or she is very attached to her quilting design and wanted to be sure that you knew exactly how she wanted it. Either way being a new customer hopefully she will bring you more quilts unmarked and will trust your abiltiy and tell her friends.

You did a great job and I know you must be happy with the end result and that is what really matters in the end.

That quilt is beautiful, Hester. Every area is wonderful and I love the lattice in the sashings--lots of ruler work there! Your feathers in the tan fabric are especially pretty.

Next time you get a pre-marked top, do what the plumbers do--post a sign that says--Hourly charge--$100

If you want to watch or help me--$150.:P:P:P

If you can forget about all the time involved, it sure turned out pretty. I have a few quilters who can piece beautifully but borders are another thing. Those wide ones are a problem. Have one right now to do and I am going to have to watch my sides all the way down or I'll end up with a mess at the end. Hang in there, you do beautiful quilting.;)

Hester,

Mmmmm you will make me re-think my thinking. I was thinking that if a top was pre-marked that would safe me lots of headaches and if I quilted where their marks were then they only have themselves to blame if it isn't right on. It looks like she didn't have any quilting in the blocks themselves other than to SID the triangles, is that right? My guess is that would mean everything else would have to be pretty loose. I hate marking those cable borders! They are a lot of work but the affect is so worth it. I love the basket weave behind. Makes it look like a trellis. Your quilts always look so good!

Hester, I feel your pain. I have a "hand quilting" quilt on my machine this very minute. Check out:

http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/2009/01/swags-on-parade-update.html

I should have been more careful to check the magazine she brought with the way she wanted it quilted. Hours and hours lost. She did some of the froggin herself, though, LOL, she is a good soul. She just doesn't understand design and scale. The quilt is full of missed opportunities. If she had pieced it so the motifs went together, the quilting design would have been so striking. Now it's just he hodge-podge that she asked for.

Hey, Hester, so what did you put in that floral border. I see the marks for cables. Did you use CL cable template on the quilt. Now that I look at it, that border doesn't look big enough for CL cables.

Linda,

I didn't quilt those cables in the border, just did SID along the seams and it wasn't the right size for my cable ruler. After spending 8 hrs quilting the small cables in the block sashing and 15 hrs of froggin, I don't ever want to do cables again. I talked her out of the border cables because it was a waste of time with that floral fabric and she had all those small tight feathers in the blue and then in the tan batik border they were repeated ( hard to see in the pics).

Heidi she did have quilting in the small cream areas of the focus blocks but it was 2 differect designs and it was way too much, so I talked out of those..

Sandra I'll bring the Merlot (and good stuff) as I'm a red wine girl.:D

Archived