New Blog From Wild Women of Quilting

Visit our myspace... www.myspace.com/wildwomenquilters

Blog by Sue Patten

I’m Not High Maintenance!! I’m Just A Little Eccentric!!

While I was travelling this year... someone may have inadvertently used “My Name” and the words “High Maintenance”, in the same sentence... I can’t be sure who it was (I may not have been paying attention to the whole conversation, or maybe I was listening in on some one else’s conversation I can’t remember for sure) besides even if I could remember her name I would never put it to print... Anyways before this RUMOUR gets out of control and spins wildly through out the industry like a magnificent kaleidoscope of swirling colours of thread, on a perfect sheet of jet black fabric... wait a minute what was I talking about... oh right... I am not High Maintenance... I am Eccentric. So here it is “The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing But, The Truth”... or like my dad use to say... “From my lips, to God’s Ear”. I may have some small, minor, almost un noticeable, habits that may to some, but not to all, appear to be that of a High Maintenance individual... let’s nip this in the butt right away...

I’m not “High Maintenance”... I’m just “A Little Eccentric”. (If you hear it three times in 5 minutes you are more likely to believe it)

When I order food at a restaurant and I order all my condiments, sauces and extra dips that aren’t really offered with the meal, and I ask for them all “on the side”... it’s not that I don’t trust them to get my order right... it’s just that I love it when my plate of food is surrounded with a wonderful array of different colours and flavours.

Although I do tend to leave everything to the last minute, it’s not because I think that I am so talented that I can pull it off at the last minute... it’s because I am forget full. Yes I have a day timer where I write it all down but I can never remember where I’ve left it, if I’ve remembered to write it down at all. And let’s be honest, aren’t we all just a little bit more creative when under pressure?? And when I’m under pressure, I’m not demanding, it’s just that my delegation skills are heightened to whole new level of urgency.

My kids cook when I’m home, not because I demand it, just because they like to cook I guess. I’m not a bad cook; truth is the smoke alarms in my house just need new batteries. But let’s be honest... I only reason I have a kitchen is because it came with the house. Besides me in the kitchen usually leads to hours of cooking and then ordering in take out but that’s ok because in “my world” little kitchen fires, means I get to re decorate the whole kitchen in all new pretty colours.

Yes, I’ll say it out loud... I do have a cleaning lady. But only because I have never mastered the art of being domestic, we can’t be good at everything and I am content to be considered Artistic rather then Domestic.

See you understand now... I am not high maintenance, I’m Eccentric. A truer statement has never been spoken from my lips, but of course when I follow it up with... I Want What I Want When I Want It And I Want It NOW!!! There may be some room in your mind for doubt ... you May even being thinking Diva but I really need you to believe... it’s not that I’m a Bitch... Let me explain, being artistic, I only use one side of my brain ( the other side is filled with tiny little colour full bubbles, that pop and make pretty music in my head when I walk) So if I don’t get what I want the minute I want it.... I forget what I wanted and why I wanted it in the first place, this could be life altering!! Still not convinced, OK let me explain... Say I’m looking for that perfect shade of variegated thread to finish a project, I search through my thread collection of over 5,000 cones and it’s not there! Why? Because! I didn’t buy it when I wanted it at the show last week. I can’t finish the quilt, let’s be honest I’ve left it to the last minute so there’s no time to order it and of course I have it entered in the show next week. It was in my day timer to finish it months ago but I can’t for the life of me remember where I put that thing. But if I don’t get it done everyone will think that I left it till the last minute and just couldn’t get it done on time. Then some one, I won’t remember who, will start a rumour that I am one of “those people” who doesn’t get things done on time (you know the type,,, the ones who have great intensions but no follow through... like me) Next thing you know people will stop signing up for my classes fearing that I won’t be prepared, then soon after that none of the shows will invite me to teach and I won’t make any money to buy new batteries for my smoke alarm in the kitchen and the next time I am forced to try a be domestic and cook dinner for my kids, in a feeble attempt to look like “Suzie Home Maker”, chances are I’ll burn down the whole house ... wait a minute... in my world that means a whole new house to redecorate... Hmmmmmm, as long as the kids get out safe and all the quilts are still on tour and don’t get burned in the fire... I could have a whole new list of things I Want... NO THINGS I NEED... RIGHT NOW!!!!! WAIT...What was I talking about?? Oh right... I’m not “High Maintenance”, but I may just be “A Little Eccentric.”

Laughing my head off. . .

Thank you Sue for letting us get to know you a little more. Those of us who are not fortunate to be on the "inside" would never know that your are "high maintenance", or as you put it, "Eccentric". Personally, I love eccentric people because I have a tendency to be that way too.

If your personality shows in your writing, then you are a kindred spirit. BTW, I took one of your classes a couple years ago at Innovations and enjoyed it immensely. Can't remember which it was, but you showed us some very creative ways to quilt borders and blocks. I still have my notes with those crazy spikey feathers.

Thanks again...and don't worry what "those" people say about you. You are you and we love you.

Sue that's too funny girl. I'm one of those with great intentions like you but I'm learning to finish one task at a time. I tend to have way too many tasks and ideas going on and I'm learning slowly to focus on one at a time but hey who cares. I'm still having fun!!!!!

I figure it will all make a full circle sooner or later. lolol

Like your blog

Hugs Grammie Tammie

Ha! I love eccentric people, we have a lot in common! Like the tiny colorful, musical bubbles in our heads. Of course mine showed up in the 70's and I refuse to let the remnants of my youth slip away so I keep them perking! A lack of domesticity, although vacuum tracks in the carpet are pretty satisfying. A dislike of peicing coupled with a love of quilting which keeps the quilt shops completely confused and wondering what I could be doing with all the fabric and patterns I buy. This makes me an eccentric in good company!!!

Thanks for understanding girls LOL LOL I think it's just all part of being artests, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Karen and I will be blogging on our site on a regular bases, so from time to time we will try to copy it here as well so everyone can have a laugh!!! Hope to see you all on the road over the next few months, I think we are away more then we are home this year... I think that's why our family's love us so much... they miss us while we're gone but we're not home long enough for them to wish we'd leave again LOL :D Besides the fact that we bring home really coooolllll stuff for the kids... OK catch ya all on the flip side of somewhere else....:cool:

Sue - all you really need is a Blackberry, Treo, or an i-phone... you put in all your appts, etc. into the calendar and when it's time, little bells go off to remind you! It's great! I have a 3 yr old treo from when I was in the "corporate" world, and still can't live with out it!!!

Love those little bells!

<<<<<<< I thought only Blondes had "little colorful bubbles" twinkling in their heads! Like when a good idea "bubbles up" and you can no longer contain it!

Shana - I don't think I want to ever see Sue without coffee! LOL it was great at camp because no matter how early it was Sue always had the first pot on in the morning, ok except one morning cause I was actually out of bed first! Coffee and chocolate are just necessities of life and does not constitute as high maintenance. I kind of like Sue's eccentric side. Far from my world of organization and structure but it pushes me outside my comfort zone to see that there are other ways of doing things. I think the ones spreading rumors are the ones that aren't open minded enough to see that we are all our own individual person and have a right to do things our way! If I have to learn how to be eccentric to do thread work like Sue then bring it on!

LOL! ---ROF!

Loved your description of yourself, Sue!;). Very thoughtful---I've never did this type of self analogy---before I took up this "high maintenance" hobby of quilting I was a professional artist. So, I guess I've always been a bit "eccentric" like yourself. :) Thanks for pointing out some of the things I need to be aware of----like collecting 5000 cones of quilting thread! Putting little dishes of condiments around my plate (what a hoot!) :P:P:P

Have a great day! You made mine special this morning!

Sue, Sue, Sue.....ROFLMAO Big Time!

Takes me right back to MQS last year.....Calling MaryBeth......See MB, I'm eccentric! ....."There's no door handle on this car"......I'm not losing my mind, i'm not forgetful, Sheesh! I'm ECCENTRIC!!!!

Thank you Sue! (for clarifying the fact that just possibly, all us quilter's are eccentric!)

LOL !~! :P:D:D:P:D:P

Hay Bobbi

I have one of those blackberry smart phone things, the new flip one because I couldn't make the touch screen one work...got it just before I hit the road... my daughter put in all my classes, apt.s, hotels everything that was in my daytimer is now in this smart phone... The thing is, I think you have to be smart to use the phone... so you have to imagine this phone going off to remind me of all my apt.s and class times and student numbers and all my up and coming apts. Each with it's own little ring tone and I have no clue how to make it stop!!! Of course all my students just laughed and let it slide, understanding that I really couldn't make it stop ringing and singing and vibrating off the table... So before I go to the rep rally this week end my daughter is going to try and show me how the "smart phone" works so I tooooooo can look smart LOL:P I'll let you all now how that turns out!!!

LOL!!! Now I just spent 10 days with Sue and I'll vouch for her Eccentricity... and she is THE MOST FUN person ev-a!! And we both love coffee and chatting a LOT.... so were peas in a pod!

QUESTION on myspace... I tried to post a note the other day but it said I need to be a member?? ?

Hay Pat

R U going to the rep rally???? If yes I will see you there!!! I have no clue how the whole myspace thing works... I will check with Jon or Karen and let you know... I thought you could just post comments and replies because we have it set to public,,,, but I could be wrong.... it wouldn't be the first or last time for that LOL :P

yes... see you at the rally... i think maybe you need a setting changed.. I did mine SO long ago I don't remember (so long ago I'm NOT active there... ha!)

but will chat in Facebook... all the time I'm home.. dont know about by cellphone yet but working on that!

facebook is Pat Sloan.... easy peasy... Sue is there too!

Sue - you are too funny! My friend hasn't read past page 46 in her manual, that's her excuse and she's stickin' to it! I still haven't figured out soooo many things on that darn phone, but I couldn't live with out it! It runs my life! (or should that be ruins?)

Hope you finger it out soon! Luv ya!

on myspace if you want to look around and read, browse...whatever you can. BUT to post commetns and such you need to be a member. It takes a few minutes to setup, but after that it is cake to deal with. WARNING: it can also be addictive ... this warning comes from experience, the entire time i was out of commission with an ankle break this summer i became addicted to myspace and you tube! it was awful to have to go back to work and actually have to work on a computer!

Sue,

ur blog is quite an eye opener. Just to think that I have been called the wrong name for all these years!;)

• 1 month later...

Archived