Did anyone else notice....

Good point Shana!! I think probably they have guys working on the photos of the girls..... They need to hire some of us quilters to fix those photos!!;) Sign me up!! Sounds like fun !!

Wonder if it would do any good on the "real" quilt??!?! I had a couple awhile back that really NEEDED help!!;)

Poor pictures....I have a copy of Eleanor B's log cabin book (from yester-year) and some of the quilting in the pictures has rather poor tension. I was surprised there were so many pictures like that. Her new books have wonderful pictures with great tension. I thing her cousin Carol now does her quilting for books and it looks great, but the old ones leave a lot to be desired.

It is a shame these issues seem to jump into the pictures. We need more proof readers to police the pictures.

The person whose quilt is on the magazine cover is probably mortified to see her mistakes on the cover for the world to see. I feel sorry for her (or him).

If all of you think that is really bad...I have a desert cookbook by Lee Bailey, from many years ago and there is a fly on the cake:o It is hard to see because it is a dark cake, pound type, with no frosting but if you look close enough it is there. It gave me a good chuckle and glad I wasn't going to eat it:P:P:P

So you just got to feel sorry for the quilter and blame the photographer (who probably wouldn't notice it if it hit he/she in the face). The person who proofed the issue should have seen it, but we all make mistakes and live goes on:D

OMG :P:P what a great thread for a really good laugh . I feel for the quilter , really they should of used the airbrush or something to cover that up .....

Trust me if I quilted a quilt knowing that is was going on the COVER of a magazine it would never leave my studio with a mistake on it .

Really wouldn't all of us go over the quilt with a looking glass ? Then just to cover our behind we would have our bestfriend check it out also .

There isn't an airbrush in the world that could get that mess cleared up....it would have taken WAY to much editing. That should have NEVER been on the cover, I can hear my art director whom I haven't seen for almost 18 years now having a MAJOR fit....and he is throwing things in his office and his is about ready to kill the photo department, and then the Traffic Manager (which I was) and then the sales department whom gave the item to the photo department to shoot....bad bad bad, I'm glad I don't work for that outfit...heads will be rolling for sure.

That quilt needed to be put thru the laundry, and pressed, it SHOULD NEVER been on the cover.

And I for one am emailing the editor and complaining about it....its devistating to quilters and the magazine...it should never been there.

I bet this was a combination of issues. The quilter who had a deadline to meet, maybe received the top with not alot of time to spare, rushed through the quilting, screwed up, frogged, re-did, handed it to a photographer that was breathing down her neck, a photographer that's probably not a quilter, rushed through the photo session just to get the pictures taken, sent off the negatives to printing, cover printed just to meet deadlines of getting the magazine to press and distribution.

So this is my question, is this the quilt that was supposed to be on the cover or was this rushed to put "something" on the cover? Also if this part of the quilt is what was featured, what does the rest of the quilt look like? Clearly no quality control dept here.

Bonnie, I'd love to know what you hear back from the editor.

Dianne

Ok, maybe I should keep quiet here and not set myself up, but I quilted a quilt for McCalls that will be in the June issue out in April. I don't know where in the magazine it will show up, but I sure hope I removed any frogging holes because I'm a froggin kind of girl ya know! I have to review my photos to see if there is a possibility. One thing I did learn is that the person that created the quilt does not write up the pattern. McCall's people do! I just can't imagine them figuring out the quilt I did. Maybe that is why there were stiching marks left, maybe they had to take it apart for a pattern piece and resew themselves? Oh well nothing I can do about it now. I just realized, this is Quick Quilts, I did it for McCall's Quilting. Are they not the same?

Joanne....no this isn't where someone took out a piece and has holes from that its where they quilted it, it didn't either match up or it didn't look right and they took it out, and didn't steam or dampen the fabric to close the holes.

Yes, Joanne...all of the McCall magzines are run by the same editiorial company....CK Media out of Golden Colorado...they also have serveral other major quilting mags as well.

I couldn't find a email contact address so I picked up the phone...and am now waiting for someone to call me back. It will be interesting first to see if any one does and secondly to see if they have an answer as to why it was permitted to happen. I'm so glad that I wasn't the quilter, I would be crawling under a rock to hide right now. Oh, I make mistakes, but don't need them to be on a national mag cover...that's for sure.

McCall's Quilting and McCall's Quick Quick Quilts are sister publications. You can see them on-line at quiltersvillage.com

I'd like to add that when you quilt a quilt for a designer that is going into a magazine there often isn't any extra time to check it or play around with ideas. The quilts that I've done for my friend had to be done 6 months or more ahead of publication. Not that there is an excuse for leaving the frogging holes, it just may have slipped by in a rush but the quilt owner should have checked the quilt over before shipping it to the magazine!

It's really a shame!

I have done quilts for magazines and fabric companies and to say the deadlines are tight is an understatement. My last one was a less than 24hr turn around. It went with less than perfect tension. I called and told them if I ever saw a picture of the back, or it displayed where anyone could look at the back it was the last rush job they were getting. I suspect They will take great care to hide it for me. Before you ask, they don't pay extra for this, in fact my standard rate is considered very high by them. If I had to frog on a quilt on that kind of deadline it wouldn't be steamed before release, but I would point out the issue and explain what I expected to be done about it.

So why do I take on these jobs? The last couple have been to help out a friend when deadlines moved on her, I am trying to avoid getting involved otherwise. I'm not as good at saying no as I need to be.

I suppose the only good thing about this cover is the quilters name isn't obvious. I hope they manage to disown this one and move on.

Ferret

I.m sure that the quilter will be devastated. However, at least they frogged and fixed the original mistake, and maybe it just shows up more with the camera. I recently quilted a quilt for a local guild that was to be raffled off. First of all I had one day to do it. The piecing was terrible and there were even pieces that weren't sewn together. They had four different people working on it. I was shocked at the poor workmanship and couldn't believe that they would use this quilt to raffle off as one of their best to represent their guild. I am leaving for Florida tomorrow and the quilt was given to me on Monday (was suppose to be the Saturday before). They asked for a E2E because there isn't time to custom it (which is OK, but doesn't really show off the work (maybe that's a good thing). Should I mention about the unsewn pieces (I had to use wonderunder to fix it because I didn't notice it until I got to the piece on the machine. I keep thinking that when they put my name on the quilt as the quilter people will think that it looks bad from the quilting and not the piecing. HELP!

Bonnie I'm anxious to see if you get an answer. I have the mag at home but haven't really looked at it. I gotta think about the quilter, have they noticed their quilt showed up in the mag with all the mistakes. The quilter's name (credit)should be in beginning of the mag, what will this do for their business. If the quilt was a rush job, the quilter probably didn't think "everything" would show up in the photo. Also, as we post our comments, remember we have a lot of lurkers on here and one of them might just be the quilter of item we're discussing. Unless the photographer is a quilter. they might not no the technical aspects of the quilts appearance. Guess what I'm going to look at as soon as I get home tonight!!!

I'm anxiously awaiting to see if they call me back as well. I would almost put bets on it that they won't. They really don't care what we the consumer think, its just that its being seen out there,and they are happy knowing its being picked up regardless of the cover shot...people are buying the mag, and that is the bottom dollar as far as they are concerned....so if they do call me I will be totally surprised.

Now I wonder will they even be concerned about readership dropping off because of this....no....by next month those of us who have seen this will have forgotten about it and move on...they also will do the same. I would even be surprised if they offer a OOPS clause in the mag.

I agree, they probably didn't think it would show up as such an eye sore, but when they proofed the prints before it was seperated and made into film, they knew.

They also probably did also have several shots of the quilt, but liked the colors in this one, not thinkingthat it would be that big of a deal to those who quilt that the holes were showing.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Now I wonder will they even be concerned about readership dropping off because of this....no....by next month those of us who have seen this will have forgotten about it and move on...they also will do the same. I would even be surprised if they offer a OOPS clause in the mag.

Bonnie, this is a very true statement, the saddest part is that the person who pieced the top and/or quilter will never forget. Being on a magazine cover is an honor many of us would die for and it gives us bragging rights. This poor piecer/quilter will not be able to proudly show off/brag about this accomplishment.

Yikes! We all have had our share of frogging. But to have it on the cover of a magazine..........mortifying!!! A spritz of water or throwing it in the dryer for a few minutes would have fixed the problem.

Scary...I did one that's supposed to be on the cover of a new quilt book that's being published. At least I didn't have to frog on that one. Whew! I don't even know what book it is, just that Mackie designed it and is writing a book for publication. The "proof piecer" made it and I quilted it. I think I'll check it out first before I admit to doing it and letting you guys know:P:P (That is if it ever really makes it to publication. I never had any deadlines, so who knows.........)

Archived