Guild Mystery quilt - finished with pics

That quilt is really pretty. You could follow the dotted line (or yellow brick road, in my case) in the outside border. Maybe feathers in the white borders using the gold "ric rac" as the stem? I don't know...I'm really bad at ideas, so no I'm out!!

I should state too, I just did a large crosshatch border on the last quilt. I need a break from that. Even though I did use Linda R's rulers. Did I say I love them?! But, I need something different... and more freehand.

Here is what I started with in the outermost gold border.

2664859160104483472S500x500Q85.jpg

Now, any ideas? I am just hoping to get the creative juices flowing for myself. This quilt may get alot of leafy meander and leave feathering, if I am not careful. I am also thinking, making the center square things look like large flowers. Yea or ney? I am trying to think outside the box on this one.

LOL! I think I was posting the same time you were!!!

What about putting a circle in those center bigger squares, then instead of doing the traditional feather, do the feather with the terry twist on the ends, you know what i'm talking about? Not a rounded end feather.

since you mention a leafy meander, and then i saw flowers this is what i thought would be nice. can you see the blue lines that represent the block....you could add veins to the leaves or the flower petals. leave out the pebbled center...maybe it'll get the creative juices running

(p.S. thanks for what i got in the mail today!!!)

post--13461901531916_thumb.jpg

Kristina, I checked your blog and love the family picture. Now how did you get this done so fast with all those kids?! Beautiful family! :)

The finished quilt is gorgeous. You sure did a great job. Thanks for offering to send me the pattern, but I get it now. I googled Bright Hopes, found several sites, and understand what you mean about the 3 narrower strips. You strip piece those and use it as one piece, correct? I'll pick up The Border Workbook, too. Just one last question, what size was the center block and I think I'll be set.

Thanks so much for offering to send the pattern. Laura

Laura, the center square is 4 1/2" and the strips are cut into 7 1/2" lengths. There gives a small amount of room for squaring your block when you finish it.

This quilt took me nearly 12 hours to finish. I don't think that is fast. I work on it a little during the day, then mostly at night while the kiddos are sleeping. I get about 6 hours a sleep a night which serves me well. My husband does photography, so while he is printing pics, I am quilting. We have a lot of fun. Although, he stood at my window looking into my studio last night while I quilted for nearly 20 minutes before I knew he was there. He gets enjoyment out of me quilting too!

Archived