Sticky situation over machine quilting ribbon

Jessica,

Sounds like you have thought through this with the help of good supporting friends here...and in a noble, lady-like way. A picture will be better than nothing.

Funny story: My MIL does beautiful hand quilting for others (much too cheaply because she loves to do it). A lady she knew brought her the pieces, MIL made the quilt, and quilted it.

Come fair time, MIL took one of her hand appliqued butterfly quilts and entered it. She came in second...right behind her 'other' quilt. I said, "Wow! You were a double winner."

She never did any more work for that person. She still finds plenty to keep her busy.

So I agree with others here: take time for your own work. Life is short.

Firstly CONGRATLUATIONS!!

I can't believe she forgot to let the quilter know about the prize:o

You just need to stay professional and sickeningly polite and request a photo of the quilt and ribbon for your studio.

The piecer probably shot herself in the foot as I don't suppose you will be too entusiastic about doing another of her quilts.

Iwonder if anyone does actually pay Sharon Schamber to quilt for them then enters into a show?!!

btw - I have not got time to do show quilts for other people - it takes me long enough to do my own and give my DH occassional pocket money from customer basics towards the cost of my Milli!

Your work is fab - enter your own stuff in the shows... xx

Hey Jessica,

Another fan here. I even have your site bookmarked just for inspiration. You do such a beautiful job of quilting. I am still dreaming of the day I can quilt like that.

You have got to carve out one day for yourself and do what you want to do. You just have to. I like the idea of Missy Linda sewing and quilting in her jammies. Now there is a visual! (Hi Linda. :-) )

I work full time and at night I am just too pooped or get home to late to even think about sewing or quilting. I don't have many customers which is just fine by me. However, Sunday is my day. Mine, mine, mine! It is the day I get to do what I want to and I guard it selfishly. It is funny how happy you can be in an unfinished basement with no windows when you are just sewing and quilting. :-)

Call her and congratulation her. Someone once told me, never be to quick to assign wrong motives. I have to repeat that to myself on a regular basis. :P

And, congratulations on your ribbon!

This thread got me thinking about a local quilter/quilt shop owner who entered a quilt in a national show and won a ribbon in the longarm category. She did not credit the longarm quilter at all. She took the ribbon, the prize money and the local spotlight( there was a nice write up about her prize winning quilt in the local newspaper). I was not a longarm quilter then but it bothered me that the quilter was not recognized. It REALLY bothers me now. I don't know if I'll ever quilt anything for anyone that would actually win a ribbon. (I've only done a handful of quilts for others) I do think times are changing though and that quilt show organizers have this topic on their minds. I think suggesting two ribbons is a good idea.

I was asked to judge a show. One of the quilts looked to have been quilted on a long arm, and I was pretty certain I knew who by. No mention on the quilt though. Fortunately it didn't need to win, but we had already decided that if it did end up as one of the finalists we were going to have to try and find out if it was a team event. I did find out later, it was quilted by the lady I though it was and there was nothing to tell the judges. I do think it is mostly about education. I would also like to see different categories within longarming but I think that will take a little longer.

Ferret

Congratulations on your win, Jessica.

I do believe that it is up to us, as quilters, to educate our customers. I have heard stories similar to yours where the quilt won but the quilter, if mentioned at all, was not given the ribbon.

FYI, Innovations is the only show that I know of that awards two ribbons if the owner/piecer and quilter are 2 different people.

I only have one ribbon. It was a local show but that did not diminish my excitement over getting Viewer's Choice. Before I even called my DH, I called my friend who pieces my show quilts. She was excited, too.

So I called the president of the guild and asked who they used to make their show ribbons. When I called the trophy shop and explained that I wanted a second ribbon, it was no problem; 1 week and $12 later, I had a ribbon. So now we both have ribbons. It was her first ribbon,too.

I think that quilting is unique in that we put so much of ourselves into designing and quilting a quilt. And it hurts our feelings when that effort does not get the recognition it deserves.

Congratulations (you know & she knows the excellence you brought to her quilt)!! It got me thinking about inventions within corporations. Corporations have employees, employees invent new products (3M post it notes were an accident), and corporations OWN the new invention/not the employee. This thread has made me wonder if the employee was compensated by 3M for that lucky accident? Perhaps that employee got a raise. Next time your customer brings a new quilt for you to do your magic, you could negotiate a raise (after all it was your work that won the ribbon...you should be paid more since future quilts might also win awards). Just a thought.

sms

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

FYI, Innovations is the only show that I know of that awards two ribbons if the owner/piecer and quilter are 2 different people.

MQX gives two ribbons - one for the piecer and one for the quilter. I believe there are other local shows that do this. I think it is only right that the quilter get a ribbon, especially if the award is for the quilting.

SMS - those were similar to my thoughts when I read the thread. "Welcome to every day of my life". I am not a master quilter but I am quite good at my day job. I am a contractor however. I suggest many wonderful changes to the product I support and my reward, besides a salary which is nice, I get a front row seat to the quarterly awards ceremony and watch others receive their plaques and checks for their innovations and contributions. Except for those four days of the year, the job is ok. Pick my battles. I like having the job.

Congratulations on your Win! that goes on your business resume, website and all advertising. You are fantastic. I think the idea to contact the awards committee and find out if you can purchse your own ribbon for this award is an excellent one. Ribbons are a visual reminder of the pride and care you take with your work.

Jessica,

Lots of opinions here and some great input. I really think every quilt you do should get a ribbon, you put soooo much into each one you do. I was fortunate enough that my customer gave me my ribbon for BMQ, and I know if she hadn't, I would have been a little crispy too. Ask for the photo, maybe she will give you the ribbon anyway, hey she may not have even thought of it herself.

Congratulations

do you think this was a show that doesn't yet give ribbons to the quilter, only to the quilt?

You wouldn't think we'd need a disclaimer on any order form that if the quilt is entered in a show that the quilter receives notification of any award.

Jessica,

I to believe that it was probably just an oversight and not a slight from your customer. I prefer to think the best of people. Do you know this customer well? If so, then just talk to her. I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving you a picture of the quilt with ribbon. I think she was just excited about the quilt winning an award. She probably didn't even think about you being excited about it also. So many times I get upset over things that I can't believe other people don't see. That's when I reallize we all think a little differently. Give her the benifit of the doubt. Like others have said, educate your customers. Most of the people I know don't have a clue what goes into quilting a quilt. Congratulations on your win.

Virginia

Jessica, I've seen your quilting, it is exquisite. I think the biggest reason to want to know if your quilting won an award would be to list that as one of your accomplishments on your biography.

I am sure you are an award winning quilter many times over. The list is so nice to see.

Jessica,

I'm very much at the long arm wannabe stage just hoping I can afford a 9 inch Juki, and I've never entered any of my quilts in a quilt show. :) However, I am puzzled that in the rules for a Machine Quilting category, one would expect that the entry would be submitted by (or under the name of) the actual person who did the quilting, and the piecer be recognized? I think it's always best to take the high road in situations like this, but truthfully, this whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

The main reason why I am posting is that I looked at the photos on your website. The other posters know what they are talking about when they say you are GOOD!WOW!!!! You are an INCREDIBLY TALENTED quilter!! I am so impressed. I would love to know how long you have been machine quilting. For those of us who are relatively new here, can you please give us a little background?

Laura (who wants to be like Jessica when she grows up even tho she is already MUCH older than Jessica!)

Thanks Laura :)

The quilt was entered into the show by the customer. There is no category for machine quilting in a show other than the description of the quilt. The quilt was probably entered under large quilt/applique and machine quilted. The machine quilting ribbon is the best of all of the machine quilting in the show. I hope that makes sense.

I wish I could post the quilt but if there was any chance of anyone knowing her, I wouldnt want it to get out. I want it to stay pretty annonymous other than it is a large appliqued machine quilted quilt ;)

I have been quilting for going on 7 years now so I have had mucho practice. I was lucky to work with my mom (deloa jones) for a year before I ventured off on my own. When I first started I was at the machine for 8 hours a day. I was going to make this my job so practicing was part of it. Doing customer quilts gives you just enough pressure to get things right.

Keep challenging yourself to new things and take classes. Get really good at a couple of things at a time and then build on that. Im always trying new designs and trust me, there are still a lot that I cannot do but I will get to them someday :)

Hi Jessica

Like Laura I am another wannabe Longarmer, shortarming right now.

I have been reading this thread and agree with all that has been said.

Oh how I wish I could quilt like you !!! your work is so beautiful

Happy Quilting

Kath in UK

It takes a whole lot to put on a quilt show Most people don't have a clue It would be hard to give 2 ribbons and the ribbons go with the entry and also the sign. The quilt may hang in her home with the ribbon attached and I would guess many will see it and ask who did the quilting. You are a pro and have been paid for your service and knowing about the ribbon is a plus. In Dallas there is a sign giving credit to the maker or makers and the quilter and also if it came from a pattern the designer should be also the the sheet that hangs by the quilt.

I think asking for a picture and of the quilt wouild be a very good idea. I have won ribbons at small shows but did not send my ribbon to the quilter although I know her quilting helped give me the ribbon. Also getting your quilt ready for the a show can be stressing. Ask for the picture with the ribbon and see how that makes you fell. Pepsi

When quilts are taken down they are put in the pillow cases or boxes that they came in and the sign that hangs by the quilts and all the ribbons that hung with are returned to the person who entered the show. I think everyone should volunter just once to know how much work it is to put on a show and taking down the quilts and getting them back to their owners is quite a job. I would bet as good as Jessica is she has probably won before and did not know it. For sure she will win again and again. Pepsi

Originally posted by sms

This thread has made me wonder if the employee was compensated by 3M for that lucky accident? Perhaps that employee got a raise. sms

I worked at 3M with this employee and he, in fact, did not get anything for inventing Post-It.

A quilt I did for someone recently won a ribbon. The ribbon went with the quilt. I heard from people that saw the quilt that if it hadn't been for the quilting, it would not have won.

If I ever chair a judged quilt show again, I will MAKE SURE that if a quilt is pieced and quilted by different people, each person would get a ribbon.

Archived