Jingle for Meandering

Busy Quilting

Does, any one have a jingle/mantra they repeat to themselves to get their stipple or meandering consistent?

I try and avoid stipple if I can but I have a few community quilts to do and thought I would PPP some more.

Is there something you repeat to yourself to make it look good. I was told to draw a cave and fill it in but that doesn't do it for me.

Lyn

Freehanding on a Millenium

Depending on the size of the meander I try to focus on that size.....such as, if I want the little loop or curve or whatever you want to call it to be the size of a quarter, I almost have to say quarter to myself (or out loud) as I am doing each curve. That keeps me focused on the right size. Of course I always have old rock and roll playing and eventually I start singing at the top of my lungs and the meader goes it's own way.

Okay, hopefully someone else will give us some pointers;)

Kristina, I'm laughing. I'd love to have a recording of your 7 kids to send my daughter who has three. Everytime I call her, it's a strain to carry on a conversation. Every other sentence is directed to the children in one way or another, or to her DH. Why is it they are such angels and entertaining themselves until you get on the phone?:P:P:P

No meander mantras, but a former teacher taught me to think of driving on a winding mountain road where the path goes in and out of the ridges.

I don't know why our kids suddenly 'need me' when I either get on the phone, take a shower or go to the bathroom. They must learn this in the womb, I guess. Do they ever grow out of it? Mine really aren't that bad when I am quilting. They do entertain themselves well. They play ball, board games, rollar blade, and the playstation in the same building where I quilt. Makes for interesting sounds!

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

I don't know why our kids suddenly 'need me' when I either get on the phone, take a shower or go to the bathroom. They must learn this in the womb, I guess. Do they ever grow out of it? Mine really aren't that bad when I am quilting. They do entertain themselves well. They play ball, board games, rollar blade, and the playstation in the same building where I quilt. Makes for interesting sounds!

My mom would say it has to do with them wanting your attention. Not that you don't pay them attention....they just don't want you to miss anything.

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

Mary Beth....singing lessons.

Ha,ha!! I dance too!! When I get really carried away...hey, I can really belt out a tune....in fact...DH came down to the dungeon last weekend and I was really into quilting (like my nose right against the needle bar), he said, "What? No music?" I totally had no idea there was no music going....I think he likes to hear me sing :D;)

Do you remember the scene from Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts is in the tub listening to Prince and singing...badly, when Richard Gere walks in? My DH likes to tell everyone that when I have my I-Pod on and am singing along with the music, I sound just like Julia. :P:P He thinks he's very funny;)

Originally posted by DoryJM

Do you remember the scene from Pretty Woman when Julia Roberts is in the tub listening to Prince and singing...badly, when Richard Gere walks in? My DH likes to tell everyone that when I have my I-Pod on and am singing along with the music, I sound just like Julia. :P:P He thinks he's very funny;)

Yeah....and I look like her!!!:D:P:D:P:D

Well, I have all her money...so there!!!!!:P:P

Oh, yeah....quilting problem.....:o

I don't do anything special, but I'm going to try the quarter thing the next time my stippling is that size.

I took a class from Barbara Barber at PIQF one year. She says that for tiny stippling, she makes a sort-of circle and works her way around inside and then back out the "door" as she put it. Did not work for me at all:P

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

Does, any one have a jingle/mantra they repeat to themselves to get their stipple or meandering consistent?

.......Is there something you repeat to yourself to make it look good. I was told to draw a cave and fill it in but that doesn't do it for me.

Lyn

Lyn, I don't have a "jingle" to recommend, but I will share that this is my typical conversation that I tend to have with myself when I am quilting:

(imagine the sound of quilting machine humming in the background) "OK Shana, go up over here...now down, now over there..., now... Wooops! Not that far, silly! now... stop and breath...OK now go up there.... now make a loop and WOOPS! be careful, Shana you dork! Slow down...Ok now... back down and over... WOOOPS!"

That's a typical Shana day quilting. Good thing there isn't a web cam or microphone recording my every sound and move. :cool:

Hi Lyn~

Not sure if this will help you or not, but when I am doing stipple allover I say to myself,....."Puzzle Piece In, Puzzlepiece Out, Puzzle Piece In, ...." and I visualize how a puzzle piece is shaped.

The other thing I do is picture a kids Dinosaur. (I Know, sounds crazy) then I say to myself, " Dinosaur head, Dinosaur foot, Dinosaur foot, Dinosaur tail, etc, etc."

I imagine I am tracing the ouside shape of the Dinosaur.

Hope this helps.

Laura

Originally posted by Busy Quilting

I was told to draw a cave and fill it in but that doesn't do it for me.

Lyn

Freehanding on a Millenium

Rather than a "cave" try drawing a big fluffy cloud that has all sorts of bumps in it. Then go and fill the inside of the cloud and while doing this, leave yourself a space to meander back out of the cloud so you can start a new cloud and repeat the fill. Rather than fill one little area at a time, meander a large area (cloud) and fill in using more longer strokes up and down and across. Otherwise it looks like a long snake.

Here is an example of what I mean. Follow where I start and see ... attempt to emulate this type of meander: (NOTE: I am not very good using Paint with a Mouse so it looks wierd) I really can do better :P

post--13461901632292_thumb.jpg

I know when I'm going at it real intense and realise I'm not breathing I start singing the song by Leona Lewis (I think that's her name) but instead of "Keep bleedin" I sing "Keep breathing"!

Also, when I first started doing feathers, I'd think "voluptuous" to get them nice and rounded. Whatever works, ay!

So I'm not going to do a waltz, one, two, three, - one, two, three.

Obviously no set number of loops before I go inside etc.

I can envision a Dinosaur - at the moment mine looks pretty prehistoric.

Quarter/Ten cent piece size - I can do that - I can do that- I can.

Interesting a lot of you sing, now may be you are singing in three/four time after all which is really a waltz.

Or is it the four/four time of a barn dance?

Thanks for the laughs

Lyn

Archived