shoulders ache

does anyone else find themselves with their shoulders pulled up as they quilt. I say relax and relax--and before I know it they are pulled up again. I thought about trying to find a (or make) a really heavy neck pillow that I could heat--maybe that would not only feel good but help me keep the shoulders down! Any ideas or suggestions??

Hi Jane,

sounds like you table is to low. it should hit you just below your ribs. I'm 5'9" so my table is really high. I used 2X6 under my legs and just kept adding them until it was just right. Hope this helps.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

I've had Miss Millie for almost 2 years...and I think I'm as comfortable with the machine as can be. I have the hydraulic lift and I do change the height throughout a job--but it doesn't matter the height (I'm about 5'6") I still pull the shoulders up! I'm sure it's tension (in me) and I don't even notice I'm doing it until it starts to hurt--which isn't very long really!

I learned this trick from Sheila Snyder's class on ergonomic quilting. Take a yard of 1" elastic, form a figure 8, attach a piece of tape (bias if that's all you have) at the intersection. Wear like a jacket, pull down the tape in back to the bra line, and just feel your shoulders pull back. It's supposed to be just a crutch--do NOT wear for more than twenty minutes a day. It is intended to be a gentle reminder to keep your shoulders back and upright. You can spend mega dollars on braces like this, but this one is the cheap version.:P

2188093110100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

2184724380100404369S500x500Q85.jpg

That looks great, but what keeps the bias tape from floopin, floppin around?? Do I sound like the Swedish chef from the Muppets? Yah, da floopin floppin tape!

Don't you attach something to the bottom to keep it down? Or do you tuck it into your pants?

Linnea,

I think it's just for private, personal wearing.;) You know, just you and your machine......

And if you can get that tape caught in your machine while you're quilting, we have to talk, girl!:P:P Your form might need work!:P:P:P

Nora-

Did you know that there is about 9 INCHES of height adjustment built into the legs of your table? It wasn't mentioned in the instructions and I only found out when I asked about casters to raise the table. I am 5'11 and thought I had made a huge (and painful) mistake after my first weeks of quilting.

You loosen the big nut on the bottom and they unscrew. My back was SO relieved

post--13461901794735_thumb.jpg

Make that tape just long enough so you don't twist your arm reaching back there to pull it down. It's only job is to help adjust the elastic so it doesn't ride up above the bra line. It shouldn't get into the works being that it is in the back and it's only about 12 inches long on mine. I took a measuring tape and used it to figure out how long the elastic should be for me. Subtract a couple of inches and you have a custom fit. Reach your hand behind you and measure from the middle of your back to where you can reach, that's how long the tape should be. It's a little awkward putting it on because the elastic twists and rolls, but when you pull on the tape, it straightens out nicely.

That help?:D

I just found an article written by Sheila Snyder in the spring 2009 issue of On Track magazine. "Basic Body Mechanics at the Quilting Machine" One sentence sums it up "Challenge yourself to drink the water, look at your mats and shoes, and move in a safe way."

I highly recommend her class if you have the opportunity.

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

That looks great, but what keeps the bias tape from floopin, floppin around?? Do I sound like the Swedish chef from the Muppets? Yah, da floopin floppin tape!

Don't you attach something to the bottom to keep it down? Or do you tuck it into your pants?

Yah, you do sound like the swedish chef ....this cracks me up. You do it well lol :P lol :D lol

I needed that, Thanks for the laugh

I have raised my machine; lowered my machine; I move my handles up and down; tried the micro drive handles....nothing helps. I do have tendonitis in my right arm and have had shoulder surgery. I'm thinking the tendonitis is in my shoulder and neck now too...but am afraid to go to the doctor for fear that it would mean another shoulder surgery. I have a Millie, and was considering going to a smaller machine, thinking my machine is too heavy. I am 5'-11" too, maybe it has something to do with our height...you know...most of the world is sized for medium sized people :D

Even us medium people get back aches....and I have found its the way that I'm standing while I quilt...if I shift my postion around every so often I don't get so tense in my shoulders. And when I quilt for hours at a time, I set an cooking timer to make me stop and stretch.

Also my bone cracker talked/yelled at me through several sessions before he gave up....he tried everything he could think of to make me quite and sell may machine.

Can you adjust the handles so your palms are not facing the floor? If the palms are down the elbows will flare out and your shoulders will rotate in. If the elbows are flared out you will have a tendency to lift your shoulders like you are shurging. After a time your shoulders will hurt. I didn't like the Milli for this reason. I have a Liberty. Would love a larger quilting space, but the handles on a Milli are so uncomfortable to me. I have tried the Milli many times hoping to upgrade. Just can't get past those handles. I know this comment will make me unpopular. Hope this helps.

Carol

ps I teach ergonomics for health care workers at our local college

Mary Beth,

I wish APQS would offer an alternative handle style. APQS is such a wonderful company/product. I enjoy my Liberty and have considered the Milli, but those handles are a deal breaker for me. I know many talented quilters love the handle style. It just doesn't work for me. I guess if I really feel I need a larger machine I will have to look at other companies. I am sorry to hear of your shoulder and elbow problems. Perhaps some of the suggestions made by others will offer you some relief. I love those things you heat up in the microwave and apply to whatever hurts. I am also a big fan of Biofreeze. Just don't apply heat after you apply the biofreeze. Happy quilting.

Carol

Archived