Heidi is finally done marking!- now with sneak peak

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Oooh good idea with the foam! UR so Smart! I am gonna copy cat you on that. OK? :P

Of course it is ok! I always share with my friends. I don't need a big base this way and I get the same affect. I used 1/2" foam and you can add more pieces if you want it to be more controlled! Works great. I think it will even work when doing panto's that are really intricate or you want really good contol. I wouldn't use it for everything just like I didn't use all the foam for everything but when you really want good control its great!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness! Such eye candy!! Guess you don't want to hear about doing a second one for a good friend at this point :D :D Of course how many good friends do you have on here and ...wow...that would be too much to think of. No kidding, just so gorgeous. I'm sure your daughter will treasure and understand how special it is. Thanks for the pictures to give us a little 'taste'.

Thanks for the sneak preview, it is gorgeous already. I can see why it is taking so long, don't get in too big of a hurry that is when bad things happen. Just work as time allows and you will be so happy with it once it is done and so will your daughter I am sure. I can imagine you are tired of the micro stippling, but it looks awesome.

WOW!! Beautiful! I am still just not understanding about this foam stuff..... I have looked at the you tube and read on here, but still don't get it..... and I really don't get about your microdrive handles....I guess I just need to be somewhere to actually watch in person it being done....Can I come live and learn from you, Heidi?!!:D You do outstanding work! linda

Originally posted by lindasewsit

WOW!! Beautiful! I am still just not understanding about this foam stuff..... I have looked at the you tube and read on here, but still don't get it..... and I really don't get about your microdrive handles....I guess I just need to be somewhere to actually watch in person it being done....Can I come live and learn from you, Heidi?!!:D You do outstanding work! linda

Linda I think Heidi went to bed it's past her bed time. The microdrive handles have about 1/2 inch space between the bottom of the handles and the quilt top. If you add some fabric with foam inside (like a pillow) and wedge it in the 1/2 inch space it rubs slightly against the quilt top and creates drag on the quilt top and more control (slows you down). I hope I explained that correctly.

Hi Heidi - I printed off a picture of this quilt when you first posted it since it is so pretty. Glad to see you are quilting it with such a wonderful design that will further enhance this gorgeous quilt. Sharon has a keen design sense when it comes to feathers. I'm a fan of yours and will enjoy seeing further photos and the finished quilt. Good luck Heidi. Just remember that this quilt will probably last for over 100 years and be enjoyed by generations in your family so it's really worth the additional two weeks. You're creating a legacy, a beautiful one at that.

Vicki

Heidi, Stunning beautiful ,and gorgeous. what more can I say. As well as the quilting I love the colours of the fabric.

Until I read your reply to Shana, I thought your Micro Drive had little shoes on :P Great idea, one to remember when I get the Micro drive handles. Oh gosh something else to buy. :D

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Linda I think Heidi went to bed it's past her bed time. The microdrive handles have about 1/2 inch space between the bottom of the handles and the quilt top. If you add some fabric with foam inside (like a pillow) and wedge it in the 1/2 inch space it rubs slightly against the quilt top and creates drag on the quilt top and more control (slows you down). I hope I explained that correctly.

Wow you all made my day! I'm glad you are all impressed with it because I was starting to think it was boring.

Shana - Right on! I was in bed and your description of the foam is right on too. I will take better pictures with dimensions when I get some time to work on those. Right now the pinning is working so there is nothing making me hurry! I just came up with the idea for this quilt and it actually worked very well! The foam can be adjusted to add more resistance if you want it. I have only 1 piece and that is enough to slow down my movements so that I don't have wobbly lines. I like it better than rulers. Kath you're description of little boots is right on. Maybe I should come up with a unique boot for the micro drives!

Theresa & somebody else asked I think - I used wool batting on this one and it really isn't stiff. I could have used dream puff as well. Of course I that is what I can tell from this point. I haven't had it off the frame yet. I try to add in straight lines to give more relief areas and those aren't stiff like the microstippling can be. My hope is that there will be enough looser areas so that it doesn't hang stiff. I believe in using my quilts so this will go on her bed and be used. My daughter gets the credit for choosing the fabrics. She is so picky that I didn't dare make the choice without her. She wasn't 100% convinced when I showed her what I wanted but now she loves it.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Shana happy to help your book collection! She actually has a deal going right now doesn't she?

Yes, I am a member of Sharon Schamber videos and got the email that these books were on sale so I snatched up the set. :) Sharon's designs are amazing... and she's such a good teacher. Her videos are getting better and better (as expected). Her web site has all sorts of things! She's really getting quite organized with her web site, her blog and on line store.

Archived