Two Swap Quilts

Good Morning to all. I wanted to share some photos of two swap quilts that I made and quilted on my Millie. Two of my friends and I swapped quilt blocks for about four years, four times a year. We made a block for each other and one for ourselves. Some themes were seasonal, some were holidays, others were just anything we wanted.

The first quilt is made up of blocks that were irregularly shaped. I attached them to a wholecloth with bias binding to give some uniformity to the quilt. I quilted a 1" diagonal grid in the background and filled alternate diamonds with a flower pattern. I quilted each block as it suggested itself to me, often with different colored threads.

2726449670103885794S500x500Q85.jpg

Sorry. I posted before I attached a photo of the second quilt. The second quilt is made of 12" blocks. The pattern in the sashing and border was quilted first and then hand painted. Again, each block was quilted differently, depending on the design of the block. Without the Millie, I'm not sure the two quilts would have ever been completed! Pictures of each block are on my webshots page: http://community.webshots.com/user/QuiltEve

2869602450103885794S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks.

Kenna,

The bias binding was a bit challenging when loaded the top, but in the end, it turned out ok.

Cathy,

Yes the design is painted. I drew the design on the border and sashings with a washable pen. Then I quilted the designs. After I bound the quilt, I washed it to remove the markings and then hand painted with fabric paints that do not require heat setting.

Evelyn

Evelyn,

On the first quilt you said, "I attached them to a wholecloth with bias binding".

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have bits & pieces of DH's Grandmother's life on my design wall; appliqued & embroidered day of the week dishcloths, pieces of fabric from clothing she made for herself and some of her 8:o children, photos, 3 of those paint on fabric thingies we were chatting about the other day, lots of embelishments including pins from about 55 yrs of 'Eagle' member pins. We got the pins because DH is oldest (favorite) GC. She was quite a woman, raised those 8 children alone. (People ask 'how'd she get 8 if she was alone?' He only came to pay child support about once a year, go figure?)

Anyway, I'm still trying to 'warp my mind around how to bring all these different things together. Did you attach the binding to the pieces and then applique or applique both? I was thinking of framing each one, maybe attic window type blocks? I''m open to ideas from everyone.

Thanks,

Wanda,

I placed the block on the whole cloth and used glue (Elmers) to keep them from moving after I placed them. I spread the whole cloth on the floor and then placed the blocks where I wanted to and tried to keep them in a straight line. Once the clue dried, I attached the bias binding to the outside of the block. Next time I would use a wider binding, like 3/8 or 1/2" rather than 1/4". I sewed a double seam along each edge of the binding to make sure that I attached the edgle of the block under the binding.

I think a quilt made of memories from your husband's grandmother would be a wonderful project. Projects like these are almost like "scrapebook" quilts. It would be quite special.

Evelyn

Archived